Anyone out there ever experienced the Epley Maneuver?

melagras

Cathlete
I have been dealing with positional vertigo since early May and my ENT doc sent me to physical therapy to have this procedure performed to get my ear back to normal. I have never been so scared in my life. I've never ridden roller coasters or scary rides but this has probably got to be worse. I was doing fine as long as I didn't lay flat on my left side or my back. I wasn't experiencing nausea or dizziness. I have been sleeping on a wedge pillow. Since I had this procedure done on Monday afternoon I feel worse. I've woken up dizzy and nauseated the past two nights.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm seriously considering canceling my session for this afternoon.

I have been dealing with positional vertigo since early May and my ENT doc sent me to physical therapy to have this procedure performed to get my ear back to normal. I have never been so scared in my life. I've never ridden roller coasters or scary rides but this has probably got to be worse. I was doing fine as long as I didn't lay flat on my left side or my back. I wasn't experiencing nausea or dizziness. I have been sleeping on a wedge pillow. Since I had this procedure done on Monday afternoon I feel worse. I've woken up dizzy and nauseated the past two nights.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm seriously considering canceling my session for this afternoon.

I had vertigo last winter. ENT doc did the procedure on me and it worked great. I would try again. I remember the doc saying it might take a few try's . Good luck

My ENT taught me how to do it and recommended I do it the MINUTE I feel any vertigo. It has really help lessen the duration of the bouts of Benign Positional Vertigo. Have you researched it on line? Let your doc know how you are feeling and ask all the questions you can think of. I sure hope you feel better soon. It's MISERABLE!

Definitely keep trying. repositioning the particles in the inner ear may take several sessions since there are 3 loops at angle to each. sometimes it takes several tries to get everything shifted to where it won't bother you. we used to give people a hand out sheet so they could do it at home if necessary.

I didn't cancel my appt yesterday. The vertigo only lasted about 15 seconds when she performed the maneuver. At my appt on Monday, it lasted almost a minute - it was horrifying.

My therapist wants to perform it one more time next Monday to see how I have progressed. Then she wants to work on "inner ear weakness."

I had vertigo once about 5 years ago & it was awful! My husband googled what to do, read about the Epley maneuver, did it on me & my vertigo was instantly gone. For me, it was magic!

I keep the instructions for it bookmarked on my computer in case I ever need it again.

I'm sorry to hear your vertigo didn't clear up right away after the Epley was done to you.

Weird question for you--do you have a lot of fluid in your ear? My balance is always worse when I get fluid in my ear (typically a build up due to allergies.)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Joan

I had vertigo once about 5 years ago & it was awful! My husband googled what to do, read about the Epley maneuver, did it on me & my vertigo was instantly gone. For me, it was magic!

I keep the instructions for it bookmarked on my computer in case I ever need it again.

I'm sorry to hear your vertigo didn't clear up right away after the Epley was done to you.

Weird question for you--do you have a lot of fluid in your ear? My balance is always worse when I get fluid in my ear (typically a build up due to allergies.)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Joan
Yes, I do think I have a lot of fluid. If I lay on one side too long, I can feel the moisture in that ear.

Yes, I do think I have a lot of fluid. If I lay on one side too long, I can feel the moisture in that ear.

Do you want to try some kind of allergy/cold medicine (OTC type) to help w/ that?? I use some generic 24 hour allergy stuff for a couple of days & then I can't feel the liquid sloshing around anymore.

The fluid thing can definitely affect your balance! I get dizzy/wobbly just doing jumping jacks if I have too much in my ears.

HTH and good luck~

Not sure. I'll get back to you Monday evening.
I asked my therapist about the inner ear weakness exercises. She said it would be repetitive head movements (probably similar to the neck stretches in P90X), reaching to touch my toes, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.