anyone make their own protein bars?

protein pancakes

I haven't tried these yet, but they sound really good and easy to make.

1 cup LF/FF cottage cheese
1 cup oats
about 1/2 cup egg subsitute
1 banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Cinnamon and vanilla to taste

In a blender add cottage cheese first and blend until smooth. Then add egg sub, then add oats. Blend well!! Add banana, protein powder etc. On a griddle on med/med low heat, make like regular pancakes. Cooking on a lower heat will get the middle to cook better, otherwise they can be a little mushy in the middle.

A.B.'s Protein Bars

Tried this over the weekend, after watching Alton Brown make it on Good Eats. It's not 100% clean, but could be modified. I think he said there are 8 g protein per serving. Nice taste, if you like peanut butter. I didn't have dried blueberries, so upped the cherries & apricots to come up with 11 ounces of dried fruit.

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 24 (2-inch) squares

Deanna if you use the search engine of your computer and put in protein bar recipes you can find several and try them out to see how they taste. I have made protein bars in the past and have found some pretty good recipes like this.

Hi DeanaMax

My husband and I found many different recipes on the internet. From those recipes, we came up with this one recipe that (IMHO):D tastes best:

Chocolate Protein Bars

1 cup Applesauce (I use natural/unsweetened applesauce)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 large egg whites raw
4 oz non fat milk
2 cups of whole grain old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 Cup Splenda (I substitute this with 4 packets Sweet and Low)
1 teaspoon oil (I use LouAna Pure Safflower Oil)
60g Chocolate Protein Powder (I use 120 g of protein which doubles the protein per bar)

DIRECTIONS
Mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into non stick cake pan. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes or until firm, leave until cooled slightly then cut to size.

I found it easier to mix all dry ingredients together first.

I use tinfoil to line my pans and spray the tinfoil with olive oil non-stick cooking spray. It makes clean up much easier.

For quick meals on the run my husband and I like to make four double batches and package two bars per freezer bag, they freeze very well.

My best guess of the nutritional value is:
Calories per bar: 200
Protein per bar: 24 grams
Fat per bar: 5 grams

Ann

Last edited:
Hi DeanaMax

My husband and I found many different recipes on the internet. From those recipes, we came up with this one recipe that (IMHO):D tastes best:

Chocolate Protein Bars

1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3 large egg whites raw
4 oz non fat milk
60g Chocolate Protein Powder (I use 120 g of protein which doubles the protein per bar)

DIRECTIONS
Mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into non stick cake pan. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes or until firm, leave until cooled slightly then cut to size.

I use tinfoil to line my pans and spray the tinfoil with olive oil non-stick cooking spray. It makes clean up much easier.

For quick meals on the run my husband and I like to make four double batches and package two bars per freezer bag, they freeze very well.

Ann

Man, this sounds REALLY good. I'll be trying this. Thanks.

THANK YOU for sharing...I've tried different bars but this recipe sounds best and easy. Will try this weekend....appreciate you taking time to share.

Hi DeanaMax

Chocolate Protein Bars

1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3 large egg whites raw
4 oz non fat milk

DIRECTIONS

Ann

I made these this weekend.
Quick to male and tastes really good.Tried others...like this one best.
Thanks for posting.

Here's a recipe I got from a cookbook called: "Stella's Kitchen"

Protein Bar

Ingredients

3.5c quick oats
1.5c powdered nonfat milk
1c sugar-free pancake syrup
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4c orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/4c natural applesauce*
4 scoops chocolate protein powder**

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, combine egg whites, orange juice, applesauce, and the sugar-free syrup. Blend well. Stir liquids into dry ingredients until mixed. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. Spread batter on baking sheet coated with nonstick spray, or use a 9x12 baking dish if you want a thicker serving. Bake until edges are crisp and browned. Cut into 10 bars and store in an airtight container or freeze.

*If you find you want a more moist consistency, add a little more applesauce to the recipe for softness.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contains 200cals, 4g carb, 44g prot, 2g fat and 2g fiber.

Nutritional info per seving

cals 140
carbs 23g
prot 15g
fat .5g
fiber 4g

Last edited by a moderator:
Banana "Bread" - (not really bar-like has the consistency of cake.....)

dry ingredients:

6 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup of oats
2 cups walnut meal
1/4 baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

combine with 2 smashed up bananas and 2 eggs (I used cottage cheese instead of eggs - worked fine) - going for a batter consistency

bake in 9x9 at 350 for 30 minutes.

How Many Bars?

I am getting ready to make these and wondered how many bars do you get for the recipe using a 9 x 13 pan?

Maria

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.