Anyone have Ryka Assist XT 2?

Gobias

Cathlete
Has anyone used the Ryka Assist XT 2 and liked them? If so, what other shoes work for you? The reason I ask is that I really liked those shoes (wide toe box, lateral support, good cushion) and now I cannot find a good replacement since they are no longer made.

I ordered several other shoes but am not finding any that are working for me. They are either causing numbness, have lack of lateral support or just "off". I still have a few more pairs to try in the next few days, but I am getting discouraged.

It looks like I am running a zappos franchise in my living room I have so many shoes and I am getting ready to order a new batch since my first batch so far isn't coming up with anything I like.

I was able to use the Assist XT2 for step, HiiT, Tabata, floor work - just anything. I am finding that the new Rykas don't offer as much lateral support. I did try Gel Intensity (Asics?) and they are OK, but not quite what I need.

Thanks.

Do you have a New Balance store near you? In my experience with sending my athletes there, they are awesome at analyzing the foot and making recommendations.

The assist xt 2 is my favorite of all time and I'm still clinging to two pairs that really need to be retired at this point.

I've started wearing the Ryka transpire (on my third pair). Not quite as awesome, but I'm comfortable with them and feel like I have the support I need.

Jenn

I can wear Ryka Transpires while working out on carpet. That's one of my concerns. Some shoes have too much grip on carpet. With tricky knees already, that can be a problem. Transpires are just the perfect mix of having enough grip so you don't slip, but they don't stop you dead in your tracks and hurt your knees.

Are the Ryka Transpires new or old? Zappos doesn't carry them.

Unfortunately I do not have a New Balance store by me. However, I do travel quite a bit so I will see if there is a store anywhere near where I am travelling.

Thanks for the input - does anyone else have a recommendation?

There are a few places that still have some transpires. I pasted the finishline link below, but also saw them on amazon, shoes.com, shoebuy.com.

I wish Ryka would stop switching styles on me like this. They don't even give me time to find a new favorite. I'm interested in trying the new Ryke fit pro though.

Ryka Transpire Women's Running Shoes*| FinishLine.com | Silver/Pink

just found them on JCPenney website as well

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/shoe...9&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-249474474-2

Last edited:
I also love the transpires. But I also have the assist xt low, and like them as well. I feel the transpires are better for higher impact. Since ryka doesn't make the transpires anymore, it looks like the dynamic is similar to it.

I just sent an email to Ryka customer service asking what shoe in their current product line is most similar to the Assist XT 2 (if they cannot bring the Assist XT 2 back, which is my preference). I'll let you know what I hear.

Thanks for sending them the question. I hope they write back!

After sending back all my zappo shoes and making a new zappo basket of 18 (!) new pairs, I decided to try other brands at my local stores since Ryka doesn't seem to be at ANY local store by me. I just don't want Zappo to send me 18 (!) new pairs (I get each in 2 sizes since I am always between sizes it seems). I felt guilty doing that.

I really really like the Asics Nimbus 15 - so comfy. However, they did NOT work with Body Max 2 Double Cardio. My balls of feet got numb and it wasn't because they were too tight. I tried the Asics Nimbus 14 today with Imax 3 and they got numb, but not as bad. I will try them again tomorrow with Cardio Fusion.

I also got several other Asic pairs (exalt, equation, GT 1000) and will try them over the next week. They all felt GREAT in the store and I jumped around, but until I do some Cathe Cardio, I don't want to recommend any.

But dang...those Nimbus 15 are awesome just to walk around in. I may get some just for that reason (they are $145 though....).

Here's the reply that I received from Ryka on Aug 26 (I am still waiting for follow up and will post it here when I receive it):

Thank you for your interest in our footwear. We're sorry for any disappointment the Assist XT 2 being discontinued has caused. We appreciate the time you have taken to express your thoughts because we value your business. Your message has been forwarded to the appropriate parties so that your request may be considered.

If we may be of further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,
Crystal

It took some persistence but I finally obtained the following reply from Ryka in response to my inquiry about "a shoe with the same wide toe box, lateral support, cushioning, and fit as the Assist XT 2":

You will be pleased to know that we were able to locate two styles that we currently offer on our site that are the closest to the Ryka Assist XT2. You may view the these styles by clicking on the link below:

Endure XT:

Athletics Ryka Women's Endure XT Wht/Chr Slvr/Stl Gry Ryka.com

Intent XT:

intent xt | Ryka.com

You can also view our current line of Ryka "training" styles by clicking on the following link:

Women's Cross Training Shoes | Ryka.com

Intent XT is my new favorite Ryka

Endure XT:

Athletics Ryka Women's Endure XT Wht/Chr Slvr/Stl Gry Ryka.com

Intent XT:

intent xt | Ryka.com

You can also view our current line of Ryka "training" styles by clicking on the following link:

Women's Cross Training Shoes | Ryka.com

CommittedtoFitness, thanks for being a squeaky wheel and getting an answer. ;) And it's funny that you posted this today because I was planning to hop onto this thread to say that the Intent XT is now my go-to Ryka.

I have MAJOR feet problems, and the only shoe I could ever wear without hurting my feet were the Assist XT2, so I was devastated when they were discontinued. I searched and searched like crazy, and finally found that the Intent XT is the next best thing, in my opinion. I personally am not a fan of the Endure.

COMMITTEDTOFITNESS - thank you so much!

I have been out of the country and just returned. I had been wondering if you got an answer yet and see it is perfect timing in your response.

On a side note - I use my worn out Ryka XT2s as travel workout shoes. That way they can get hotel dirt on them and if I lose them in my luggage, oh well. I missed those shoes so much! My feet didn't hurt or get numb once. I did Tabata, Cardio Core Circuit and HiiT on my travels and my poor boyfriend kept having to hear me complain "Whyyyy don't they make these anymore??"

Lisa, thanks for the feedback - I am going to order both.

I ordered 2 sizes in the Intent XT but Zappos did not have the Endure. I will look at amazon a bit later. I wonder if the Endure is an older model?

I will definately let you know my thoughts. I also ordered a few other pairs in my zappo order, but am going to try the Intents first.

I ordered 2 sizes in the Intent XT but Zappos did not have the Endure. I will look at amazon a bit later. I wonder if the Endure is an older model?

I will definately let you know my thoughts. I also ordered a few other pairs in my zappo order, but am going to try the Intents first.

I just ordered another pair of RYKA Endures, and have been working out in Endures for several weeks now. To me very comparable to the Assists, which I also loved and mourned when they were discontinued.

A-Jock

Please let me know how you like the two types of shoe (Intent XT and Endure XT) and whether the sizing is consistent with Assist XT 2.

In my experience, Ryka is very consistent in its sizing across all shoe models. I get the exact same size in the Intent XT that I got in the Assist XT2 (9.5M). Also, I've purchased other styles of Rykas...always getting the exact same size (9.5M) and the fit has always been perfect.

I have a pair of the intent xt low in purple/silver and love them. I still prefere my transpires, but since they don't make them anymore, I'll probably try the dynamic next. Anyone try those yet?? I keep my size 7 in all ryka shoes, but they did change there sizing about 1 year ago, because I was always a 6.5m. But suddenly, new ones didn't fit the same. But I still have a few 6.5 from 3 years ago and they fit perfect. But now I know to always get a 7m and so far it's still the same on all ryka shoes. I wonder how the other ryka shoes Cathe tried out in her new dvds are?

Alright, I have tried several shoes and my house has looked like a shoe store the past couple of months. Here is what I did - I tried each shoe with 3 different types of workouts:

1) steady state step (like Imax, Step Blast, Body Max)
2) High Impact (like HiiT, Tabatacise, and now X-77, my new fave, by the way)
3) Cardio Circuit or Metabolic Weight Training where you do lateral moves (like To the Max, Cross Fire, Afterburn)

I prefer to use one type of shoe for all of my workouts. However, sometimes with the high impact (Hiit, Tabatacise), I like to use Reebok RunTone with the "cushion pods" in the ball. However, for me those shoes don't work with the other workouts I like to do.

I exercise on carpet that now has barely any cushion below it because I have blown it out, so it is *almost* like being on concrete.

With the Ryka Assist XT 2 (the shoe that started this thread), I was a solid size 8. In fact for most shoes I am a solid size 8. Sandals I seem to be size 7.5. All of the new Rykas I was a size 8.5. I don't know if they changed their sizing, because I know my foot hasn't grown since all my other shoes still fit and my feet don't really swell during workouts. So for me all of the new Rykas run small (get a 1/2 size bigger). For the Asics and New Balance, I was still a size 8.

WINNERS:
* Intent XT - get them, they are the closest to the Assist XT 2 I could find. They did seem a little clunkier than the Assists, but not like wearing a clog or anything. Note that the solid white pair does NOT have mesh on the top like the purple and blue pair. I did not like that. Also, the purple pair is called "XT / Low" and the blue pair is just "XT". I do not know why. They look the exact same height to me and fit the same also. I did notice that when I first wore them, my ring toes felt the shoe rubbing. I thought for sure I would get a blister, but didn't. Then by the 2nd time I wore them I didn't feel them on my ring toes. Must have just needed a bit of stretching.
*Ryka Capture - These are a close second for me and I am going to get a few pairs. They seemed to give me the same support and comfort as the Intent XT, but felt a little less clunky (again, very minor). However, with that less clunky feeling, I kind of felt like I had less lateral support. Which is why they were 2nd for me. (comes in cute colors).
* Ryka Devotion - this is ONLY a winner for me for high impact (Hiit, Tabatacise) and would be a replacement for the above Reebok Run Tones I mentioned above. They have the "cushion pod" in the ball of the foot. However, they did not work for steady state step or lateral workouts for me.

ONES THAT I TRIED BUT JUST DID NOT WORK:
-The main reason I didn't like these was because the balls of my feet would get numb after about 30 minutes. I don't know if it was too little cushion or too much or what. Or there wasn't enough lateral support and it felt like I was going to burst through the mesh.
*Asics Gel Nimbus (however, get these for walking - so comfy, great cushion)
*Ryka Radiant
*Ryka Ambition
*Ryka Encore
*Ryka Illusion
*Asics Gel Intensity
*Ryka Influence
*Ryka Dynamic
*Asics Exalt
*Asics Equation
*Ryka Fit pro
*Asics GT 1000
*Ryka Crusade (however, these I really thought would work but I got a HUGE blister on my left foot on the right side below the big toe. I didn't feel the shoe rubbing me during my workouts and it is odd my left foot got a blister since my right foot is bigger. I think I may have gotten an irregular pair. I have never had a foot blister before so may try this shoe again to see if it was a fluke.)

I may still try the Endure if Zappos ever gets it.

@COMMITTEDTOFITNESS - thanks for sending Ryka your question

Let me know if you need any elaboration. I tried to take specific notes for each shoe doing each type of workout. On a side note, I must say that the majority of Ryka's come in really cute colors. Doesn't really matter to me since I only wear them for exercise, never outside or for other purposes, but I was looking cute in them.

Good Luck.

Holy $#[email protected] you work for Ryka? That was an EXCELLENT review of sneakers!!!! So many types too! This is precisely the info I look for when buying sneakers and to get the info here is awesome. You know exactly what you're talking about and the type of workouts we all do. When I go into a store, I feel like the people are trying to sell me the most expensive shoe they have. I tell them my needs (lateral support, high impact etc.) and I get a glazed over kind of look. I've had foot surgery and I'm really particular about workout shoes. I would love to try on the Rykas but can't seem to find them anywhere except on-line. I'm afraid I'm one of those people that REALLY needs to feel it, wear it and so on........Thanks for the detailed and incredible run down on the sneakers!!!!cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.