Anyone have experience with kitty chemo?

AnneMA

Cathlete
I’m at a crossroads with my 11 year old cat, Holly. At her 6 month check up with discovered she had lost 2 lbs. Labs showed that she had a high white blood cell count and is anemic. Other labs confirmed no pancreatitis or IBD. Urinalysis and other blood tests normal. Ultrasound showed issues in her GI, vet guessing lymphocytic lymphoma. He consulted with internist who agrees it’s 90% likely. We hesitate to do a biopsy because she is so thin now and don’t want to put her through that. Vet has prescribed a chew version of Chlorambucil. I’m hesitant to give her this without 100% confirmation. We’ve been monitoring her weight with a baby scale and she hasn’t lost in 3 weeks. She has no other symptoms. I just don’t know if I should start giving her the chemo or continue to wait and monitor. I don’t want to wait too long to decide on the chance it is lymphoma. It’s so hard because there is no clear cut answer.

I'm so sorry your kitty is ill. I understand your hesitation in giving your cat the oral chemo. How invasive would the biopsy be? It seems your decision to not subject your cat to such a toxic medicine until you are certain.

What does your vet suggest to correct her anemia? Does she eat mainly wet food? Is the anemia due to her GI issues?

Did her lab tests also confirm no kidney or hyperthyroidism?

If you kitty is still not losing weight, maybe a biopsy is the way to go?

She does eat mainly wet food. And we have ruled out thyroid and kidney issues. We have ruled out pretty much all we can. The anemia is likely related to the lymphoma, but we don’t know.

The biopsy will mean opening up her belly under general anesthesia and then post op of course. It is an option, but there are concerns due to her low weight now and recovery may be hard on her. The thought is that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. Why put her through surgery for the 5% chance it’s something else. Which so far, we haven’t figured what that could be.

Animals supposedly handle chemo much better than humans. It’s still making me pause.

First, is your icon the picture of your cat and dog? Its terribly sweet :)

I see. Yes, general anesthesia, opening up her belly...recovery...you're right. Poor kitty.

I've never experienced giving chemo meds to any of my kitties. I'm sorry she, and you, are going through this. I know how daunting a sick kitty can be :(

Will you keep us apprised of her progress and response to the chemo if you go forward with it? I wish her the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

BTW, I think its terrific you mainly feed her wet food.

The icon critters are not my animals, just a cute pic. Since posting this I’ve joined 2 FB groups super knowledgeable about this issue and I’m already gathering a ton of info. And thank you, I will keep you updated on my kitty. Thanks for caring.

Poor Kitty. I hope shes feels better soon. Right now I have a pukie puppy at home. Not as serious as cancer, but it still scares me when one of my babies is sick. Wee is 5 yrs old and has several allergies to wheat and who knows what else, so when she is sick I worry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.