Anyone had a cortisone injection?

jcm

Cathlete
I had one this past Friday for a nagging shoulder problem that started in September. Just wondering if/how long it took for relief. And was it temporary?

Jen

I got a cortizone injection for a shoulder problem as well. I think it took me a good three days after the injection to feel some relief. My pain was soo bad, I ended up taking oral medication too. that was about seven months ago, and so far soo good. The doctor did tell me it was a temporary fix, but so far I've been doing everything I used to do with no problem. Hope your pain subsides soon :)

I have had two cortisone shots this year for deQuervain's tenosynovitis (wrist tendonitis). Both took about 2-3 days to fully kick in and lasted about two months before beginning to wear off. I couldn't take prescription-strength naproxen, so this was the only thing that provided me with any relief. Best of luck!

I had cortizone shots in my heels for plantar faciilitis (sp?) in the beginning of September. It only took a day for me to feel relief and the pain is still gone today. I've heard it's temporary, but so far, so good. Good Luck!!

I had it done twice for a frozen shoulder a few years back. If I recall, it did ease the pain some, but only temporary. And it also caused breakthrough bleeding that scared the hell out of me!

I have a frozen shoulder AGAIN, on the other side. I'm not doing it this time, even though my shoulder hurts like hell. I guess I'll just ride it out; from everything I've read, the condition has to pretty much run its course.

I hope your shoulder gets better soon!

Thanks so much for the input! This has been so frustrating. It came out of nowhere - a couple hours after doing bootcamp. Was so bad initially i went to urgent care and had to take motrin AND vicodin. It eased up a bit - I've done PT for 6 weeks or a bit more. They have said I have a "laxic" shoulder. It pops constantly when doing my exercises. After all the PT my sports doc finally did the injection Friday - but it still hurts. I haven't done any exercise since September. First it hurt so bad even arm motion from running was problematic. I'm anxiously awaiting STS Cardio, and want to start STS Strenth again, but am terrified I'm going to end up like I was. Couldn't even put my car from park to drive w/ that arm!

Anway, I'm venting. I never had pain in my shoulder before. Part of me still wonders if it's not a SLAP tear or something. It came on so strong and fast.

Well, thanks again for the help. You guys are the best.

Hi Jen,
Only way to diagnose a SLAP tear is MRI - or maybe ultrasound if it's really bad. The best way to have a cortisone shot is Ultrasound Guided - this way the technician can see the needle and can guide it to exactly the right spot.

You'll get instant relief from the pain, but be careful not to move around too much or train for 2-3 days - take acetominophen (Panadol) and lay off the antiinflammatories for 72 hours.

You should get reduction in inflammation and if you have an impingement syndrome, you'll be able to start rehab pretty quickly.

I consider myself to be queen of the shoulders - I've done 2 cortisones in each side and have an AC joint issue on my left and bursitis on the right (I've fully rehabbed the right one though), working on the left.

Best of luck
Liz N

Liz N - how long have you had the AC joint issues and what you have been doing? I've been doing the PT for over a month, and he pretty much has the problem centered in my AC joint as well. Today, oddly, I started getting stabbing pains right in the injection sight. I can't really say I've noticed much, if any, improvement in my pain since the injection Friday.

A good friend of mine has gone this route many times, as has my husband. The thing with the injections seems to be - it'll work GREAT if they get it into exactly the right spot. If not, it won't do much at all. So you might need multiple injections to really get relief. When you get one in the "sweet spot" it can last for a year. 3rd time was a charm for my DH, and it's starting to wear off now, just about a year later. Right on time. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.