Anyone else tried Truvia?

library girl

Cathlete
I saw a story on the news a few months about a new sweetner that was being developed by Cargill called Truvia. It is made from Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar alcohol from what I gather from their website: http://truvia.com/sweetener.html).

I saw it at Hy-Vee today and bought a box of packets. It tastes nothing like the stevia packets or liquid that I have purchased at the health food store. I tried it in my iced tea and really liked it! It had no aftertaste like the other artificial sweenters on the market, nor did it overpower my tea like stevia can.

What do you think? Is it really natural? Is it clean? Kathryn if you read this, I would like your opinion as I value it very much in this area.

Hi I have not tried it but I saw it in Publix the other day. I did not buy it because I wanted to find out more about it. I am also interested in what others have to say!

Tracy

Can't fined too much information about it, so I'm Leary. I'll wait for a long time before I will trust yet another sweetner. You can't be too careful.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Hi:
I have not seen this yet, but I just checked out what Erythritrol is.. its a sugar alcohol. Most sugar acohols like Maltitol, sorbitol can cause some digestive issues since they are only absorbed in the large intestine.. ( leads to cramping, gas, bloating and diaherrea.) However Erythritol is aborbed in the small intestine, so those nasty side effects aren't supposed to occur. (I'm not a fan of Stevia as that it tastes really bitter to me.)

How does it compare to Nutrasweet or Splenda? I think Splenda is pretty good and do use it as a sugar replacement. ( I know, I shouldn't but I like my sweet!)

Lynn M.

I'm not fond of sugar alcohols. It just seems like if the body has a hard time digesting them, they are something the body shouldn't take in!

There are several newish sweeteners made from fruit sugars. Can't think of what they are called off hand, but they sound healthier to me.

I avoid 'itols' and splenda and other sugars that have gone through what I think is an unnatural process to get to be what they are.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Kathryn - I was afraid Erythritrol would be a problem. When I saw it on the news they never mentioned the Erythritrol. They just showed the stevia plants and talked about a new variety of stevia that had a better taste than the stevia currently on the market as well as a brewing process that removed some of the bitterness from the plant.

Lynn - this really tastes nothing like the stevia I have used before - it is very mild and sweet. I don't really like Splenda for some reason. The only artificial sweetener I use is NutraSweet in my two cans of diet coke a day. I really wish I could break that habit......:eek: I have tried unsweetened iced tea but it just isn't the same.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.