Anyone else ever worry about all of the toxins?

Jcrew3082

Cathlete
While in search of a new face wash, I did some reading on certain ingredients. I learned that many common ingredients release formaldehyde and form carcinogenic toxins that can be absorbed through the skin. I am so frustrated. It seems that few things labeled “natural” are truly natural. It bugs me that the products we use, the food we eat, and the air we breathe seem to be full of contamination in one form or another. I get nervous about what these things might be doing to my body. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Thanks for reading my rant :)

I do and I try to read labels and exclude most toxins. Other than bleach, I clean toxin free. I do cruelty free too, free range, cage free, organic and all that jazz. I let a few things slide but as few as possible. The earth and air are toxic enough to pollute us without washing our faces with formaldehyde releasing agents. I love Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap by the way.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

Thanks, Bobbi. I am trying not to drive myself nuts. Knowledge is power, but it can also frustrate the heck out of you! I like Kiss My Face products, also. And you are right, face wash is probably the least of my problems, considering that I live in "cancer alley," the part of northern NJ that has ridiculously high cancer rates. Ick.

Have a good night!

Gina,

Have you ever tried the Lamas Beauty products (makeup, skincare, shampoo)? www.LamasBeauty.com They work really well and do not harm or irritate your skin. AND they are safe!

They are all natural and include no sodium laureth sulfate. You can order online and Whole Foods carries their products.

Thanks for the recommendation PUPSWIFE! I've been using the Lamas Lash Masque for quite some time and like it very much. Even though the products are natural and have no SLS, some have TEA (Triethanolamine) which is one of those bad ingredients. They are "nitrosating agents" that can form nitrosamines that are carcinogenic. So, that's my peeve...even things as natural as Lamas products aren't exempt.

Thank you for replying! And I didn't know Whole Foods carries them...will have to check that out.

Yw Gina!

I LOVE the Lash Masque!!! I use it during the day as my mascara. It doesn't irritate my eyes or make them itch like "regular" mascara. I guess there is no escaping some of the additives they put in everything we wear and eat. The best we can do is be diligent about reading labels and not buying some of the products that are worse than others.

Gina,

Yes, I can totally understand where you are coming from!!
My husband and I use all Shaklee products from vitamins to household cleaners, you should check out Shaklee..esp if your looking for all natural products with no toxins.

Their soy protein powder is the most pure you can buy, and all of their skin care products and makeup are infused with minerals.

Here is a link

http://www.shaklee.com/main/main

:) ;-) :D :p :9 :7 :+

Of course! I have switched to environmentally friendly, non-toxic household cleaners and personal care products. I eat a lot of organic food, but not all because it can get extremely costly. I get more nervous about what it will do to my daughter's body.

We don't eat very many processed foods. Cereal, yogurt and peanut butter are about the only things we eat on a daily basis that aren't completely prepared by me. I use that Veggie Wash on all of our fruits before eating them. We have frozen veggies, though, because I just can't deal with preparing them for cooking.

Lately I have found organic to be just as expensive as conventional :) and I can't believe the price of produce. The only conventionally raised fruit I won't buy at Safeway is strawberries. And I hate waxed produce. I had to take a pass on them at Wild Oats though. $5.00 for a small container. I strive for balance but can't get to the health food chain as easily as Safeway where the organics are often not so great. I feel blessed to have Traderr Joe's in Arizona but you never know what's going to be there or not so we do the best we can. :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

I actually started using the lash masque for a strange purpose. I have a nervous habit of tugging on my lashes when I'm anxious. I decided that if I had something on them all the time, I would be less inclined to do it. It worked, and I found another great use. I put it on my brows sometimes. My mom uses it for that also. Her brows are graying and her brow pencil wears off halfway through the day, so the lash masque seems to give everything staying power.

Ooh- and the price seems to have gone up on the Lamas site. I've been ordering from here instead: http://www.heavenlyskin.com/catalog/peter-lamas/Lash-Masque.html

Gotta love Trader Joe's! I am really lucky as well to have a few stores in my area. They have great prices and I like many of their store brand items. It is hit and miss, like you said, but I always end up buying something!

Gina, thanks for posting the heavenlybeauty link! That is a BIG savings on the Lash Masque! Great idea to use on the brows too! Thanks!!!

How ironic. Our local paper had a huge write up about all of the toxins in our food, homes, teflon pans etc. today. They took blood samples from a family of 4 and tested them. It's scary what they found. This link has the stories and some REALLY GOOD links to the best and worst cosmetic products, skincare, shampoos, etc.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bodyburden

I am also concerned about all the toxins in the environment:
o I've been buying organic food when I can get them at the grocery store.
o Switched to using natural soap (Kirk's castile, available online for about $1.00 a bar at www.kirksnatural.com).
o Use environmentaly friendly cleaners (mostly baking soda, washing soda and borax - I mix most of my cleaners and get the rest from www.sunandearth.com (similar to Shakely but can order online).)
o Get shampoo and stuff from www.internatural.com - and make sure the stuff I buy is free of sodium larel sulfate and anything else I can't pronounce.
o Get my moisturizer from a company that sells on ebay and makes the moisturizer from organic butters (shea butter, cocoa butter, etc.) The company goes by "CLEAR & SMOOTH" and the moisturizer goes for $21 for a 4 oz jar. I like their soap, too.
o Use homemade flannel menstral pads so I don't put the paper, etc against myself every month or fill up the landfill.

I'm concerned, but I don't freak out about it. I try to use non-toxic products (cleaning products, personal care) and I watch what I put in my body (trying to get organic as much as possible, avoiding foods with artificial colors, flavors, strange chemicals--which rules out all junk foods except for health food store types) and as a vegan, I eat low on the food chain, so toxins are not concentrated in the foods I eat.

In the face of all the toxins we are exposed to without our consent (the water we bathe and shower in, what's in the air, etc.), it's extremely important, IMO, to take in lots of antioxidants: green/white/red tea, fruits and veggies with vitamins C, A, E and selenium. Berries and beans. Pomegranate juice. All things that can help our body deal with these toxins.

Call me paranoid if you want, but one thing that is bugging me lately is that our school is now installing wireless computer systems all over campus. I wonder what effect those invisible "rays" have on our bodies, on the electrical currents that are in our brains and nervous systems. The wireless thingy (I can't think of what it is!) that is now hanging on the wall in a hallway near our main office is a black box with two black antennae that look like devil horns!!! }( (I'll have to check to see if its serial number contains 666!)

No, Gina, I don't worry about these things because there is only so much I can do about it, although I appreciate the energy many of you put into protecting yourself and the environment :).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.