Anyone else coughing coughing coughing????

Nanbo

Cathlete
I caught a bad cold from a family member on Christmas Day and I am still hacking and coughing away 10 days later. Sometimes it's a dry high up in the throat cough and sometimes it's a deep in the lungs icky cough. My sinuses also got involved a few days ago. Nothing seems to alleviate it. Nothing. I get about 4 hours sleep at night after taking a cough suppressant and propping myself up on pillows...but 4 hours later I am coughing again and even another dose of the suppressant won't stop it. I don't think I have had a fever; I never had body aches other than a horrific headache. My DH says that he thinks the intervals between coughing fits is getting longer, but the intensity is still there. I feel like someone is tickling my lungs with a feather all the time! The family member was over it in about 5 days. I guess I feel betrayed because I eat very well, usually get lots of sleep, and work out regularly. On the very rare occasion that I do get a bug, I'm over it in 1 to 2 days and the symptoms are very mild. This time it is very different. Is there some new crazy super bug going around? I've tried all the usual natural and OTC remedies including Mucinex DM (which actually made it A LOT WORSE!). I have still been doing workouts, just lowering the weights and reps so I don't over-tire myself. Do any of you Cathletes have this?

This sounds like me Nancy. The last time I was sick was 8 years ago. Even when everyone around me is sick, it bypasses me. New Years day I caught the bug my husband has had the past few weeks and I am coughing, too. No fever, no runny nose, no real aches--but for 2 days I had a horrible headache. But now just the cough. Like you, I've continued to workout out and am hoping it doesn't get so bad I am forced to stop.

This sounds like me Nancy. The last time I was sick was 8 years ago. Even when everyone around me is sick, it bypasses me. New Years day I caught the bug my husband has had the past few weeks and I am coughing, too. No fever, no runny nose, no real aches--but for 2 days I had a horrible headache. But now just the cough. Like you, I've continued to workout out and am hoping it doesn't get so bad I am forced to stop.
Hope you get over this quickly Jen! Keep us posted if you happened to find a miracle cure ;)!

Have you tried deodorized garlic oil? It works great on viral infections. Also marshmallow root can help your nose clear out. Are you using a Netty pot? You would want to use it with distilled water and Celine for your nose. Not kosher salt and not table so you don't want the iodine in your nose. Are you taking hot steamy showers to help your nose clear out? I hope you feel better real soon.

Cough here in Belgium. Blocked sinuses, alternating with runny nose from time to time.
The most annoying is sore throat.... I have lost my voice. Cough is a tickly one therefore really
annoying.Tea with honey...No tablet/medicine for me.

Boxes to unpack for new place and I shall get back into my "me" time at home with cathe Friedrich:):)
Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
is possible Mycoplasma pneumonia or laymen call walking pneumonia which if your really healthy can carry the mess and keep functioning for awhile. It is contagious as a cold which starts out as a viral transmission but if the excrement fluids are accumulating in the lungs it can develop into bronchitis and bacterial pneumonia. I suggest going to the doctor because its sounds like it may of turn bacterial if its been more than 10 days of coughing.

also not sure if the UK has this problem but we are seeing recurrent of whooping cough do to non vaccine people and have had one incident of a older person that had immunization as a child but had exposure while working with non vaccine immigrants

Went to the doctor this morning and he said I have a cold (really???? :rolleyes:). He said the "cough thing" going around has been lasting 2 to 3 weeks!!!! He said my lungs were "clear as a bell", so no fluid build-up...just mucus (ewww). To help me sleep he gave me cough syrup with codeine. To help me get through the day he gave me these little gel caps that are supposed to quiet the cough reflex. I also managed to give myself swimmer's ear from all the steamy showers I've been taking and not getting all the water out of my ears :oops:, so I've got antibiotic drops for that. He told me to continue working out (and was very impressed by Cathe's RWH series!) if my body will let me. I am scheduled to do RWH Plyo HIIT #1 with Abs #1...hope I'm up to the challenge; if not, I'll just turn down the intensity a little!

Hope all the other Coughing Cathletes Conquer this Cold!!!!!

I think I am coming down with a cold also. My fault for cutting down on protein intake since I had few days off work. The only time I catch a cold is when I drop my protein intake. I'm hoping I caught it in time. Here is a list of what works for me:
-Bromelain (from pineapple) or eat pineapple on an empty stomach 45 minutes before breakfast. If I take it in time, I'm back to normal within 48 hrs.
-Protein, 30 g animal protein 5x a day. Yuck but there is no substitute.
-Goldenseal, it acts like a broad spectrum antibiotic and anti fungal. It dries the nose and throat very quickly. I use it very sparingly for just 2 or 3 days during the worst of it.
-Hollyhock flower tea. If you have dried hollyhock flowers, they work wonders on throat aches and various respiratory problems. I simmer them with dried cherry stems and cut up dried black figs for about 20 to 25 minutes. It makes a lovely herbal tea which is hard to believe given the starting material. I drink 2 cups a day for the duration.

I wouldn't workout beyond an easy walk. I did an hr walk tonight and my HR was 20 bpm higher than what it would have been normally. That alone is enough to keep me from doing anything more than walking. I've heard of people hurting their hearts working out while fighting infections. Not worth it. There is always time to do more intense workouts later.

I hope we all get better soon and please be safe.

I think I am coming down with a cold also. My fault for cutting down on protein intake since I had few days off work. The only time I catch a cold is when I drop my protein intake. I'm hoping I caught it in time. Here is a list of what works for me:
-Bromelain (from pineapple) or eat pineapple on an empty stomach 45 minutes before breakfast. If I take it in time, I'm back to normal within 48 hrs.
-Protein, 30 g animal protein 5x a day. Yuck but there is no substitute.
-Goldenseal, it acts like a broad spectrum antibiotic and anti fungal. It dries the nose and throat very quickly. I use it very sparingly for just 2 or 3 days during the worst of it.
-Hollyhock flower tea. If you have dried hollyhock flowers, they work wonders on throat aches and various respiratory problems. I simmer them with dried cherry stems and cut up dried black figs for about 20 to 25 minutes. It makes a lovely herbal tea which is hard to believe given the starting material. I drink 2 cups a day for the duration.

I wouldn't workout beyond an easy walk. I did an hr walk tonight and my HR was 20 bpm higher than what it would have been normally. That alone is enough to keep me from doing anything more than walking. I've heard of people hurting their hearts working out while fighting infections. Not worth it. There is always time to do more intense workouts later.

I hope we all get better soon and please be safe.
Soapmaker,
Thank you so much for sharing your remedies! Years ago a friend of mine made me a throat gargle with Goldenseal...I forgot all about that until you brought it up! I used to have perpetual/reoccurring tonsillitis and that concoction seemed to work for inflammation really well (I ended up having a tonsillectomy when I was 20 after a 6 month infection!). The Hollyhock flower tea sounds REALLY good!
You caught my attention with the word of warning about working out while sick. I used to have a rule that I would not workout if the illness was below the neck (no workout if chest or gut was involved). I don't why it has been so hard for me to lay off the intense cardio this time :oops:. I really modified the Plyo HIIT workout last night with longer rest periods and shorter burst durations. It was very tough because I kept having coughing episodes...decided to dial it down a bit....I think I'll stick to resistance training and walking until I feel a bit better!

Headed to the doctor tomorrow nose is so plugged up I am breathing through my mouth and my cough is nasty sounding everyone at work is getting unhappy with me.

I am just finishing up with a bout of the flu. My gross sounding cough is hopefully nearing its end. Haven't had the flu since the late nineties and I even had a flu shot this year, which I hear isn't too effective against this years flu strain! The best remedy for me was Advil, saline nasal rinse, and rest. Just did some light strength training last night and I walk daily. It can be so hard sometimes to give our bodies the rest it needs so that it can heal.
Hope everyone feels better soon.
Sherry

I live in Colorado, in the middle of the USA and a 24 hours after I got back from a trip to Nevada, I begun coughing and a sore throat (a lot of people on the plane were sneezing). Now 3 days later the sore throat is gone, but a big-time dipply nose and still deep coughing. I have not been sick this long or this serious for at least 10 years. I feel too weak to workout and want to save what energy I have for my body to heal. Hard to get good night's sleep.

I know some people have used the herbal "Oil of Oregano" and think it really helped to get rid of a stubborn virus. I am going to take some tonight.

Headed to the doctor tomorrow nose is so plugged up I am breathing through my mouth and my cough is nasty sounding everyone at work is getting unhappy with me.
Oh no! I hope you feel better VERY soon Roxie! Take care of yourself and remember that nothing lasts forever (even a bad nasty cold!).

I am just finishing up with a bout of the flu. My gross sounding cough is hopefully nearing its end. Haven't had the flu since the late nineties and I even had a flu shot this year, which I hear isn't too effective against this years flu strain! The best remedy for me was Advil, saline nasal rinse, and rest. Just did some light strength training last night and I walk daily. It can be so hard sometimes to give our bodies the rest it needs so that it can heal.
Hope everyone feels better soon.
Sherry
Sherry, I know what you mean about how hard it is to let our bodies rest! I was really getting into a nice groove with the new RWH series (even working out while traveling for a week!) and then I got sidelined by the Christmas Crud. Did you have a fever with this illness? I can imagine how betrayed you feel after taking good care of your health and getting sick anyway! I can't wait until I am back too 100% and can go back to my "normal" life! Last night I did Stretch Max with the stability ball and at one point I just laid across the ball, hit the pause button, and didn't budge for several long minutes! I'm supposed to do Upper Body Circuit tonight...we'll see ;). I'm going to try to get a little walk in at lunchtime today (today is my first day back at work), but it is VERY cold here so I'll have to be careful!
Hang in there Sherry, you'll be feeling great in no time!

I live in Colorado, in the middle of the USA and a 24 hours after I got back from a trip to Nevada, I begun coughing and a sore throat (a lot of people on the plane were sneezing). Now 3 days later the sore throat is gone, but a big-time dipply nose and still deep coughing. I have not been sick this long or this serious for at least 10 years. I feel too weak to workout and want to save what energy I have for my body to heal. Hard to get good night's sleep.

I know some people have used the herbal "Oil of Oregano" and think it really helped to get rid of a stubborn virus. I am going to take some tonight.
Oh Pam, what a bummer! One of the reasons I don't fly is because I ALWAYS get sick afterward! I felt so protected traveling in my germ-free little car this year and then WHAM!!!!...exposed to the bug at the family Christmas party o_O! I guess there was no escape! I hope that you are able to get the rest your body needs to fully heal and get back to your Cathe tackling shape! This bug seems to have swept the globe and takes no prisoners!

I'm pretty sure I have the flu now. :( It really ticks me off. I had the flu shot too for what it was worth this year.

I'm pretty sure I have the flu now. :( It really ticks me off. I had the flu shot too for what it was worth this year.
Rhondalyn,
Aw man, that sucks! I can relate to your anger! Guess the only thing to do is ride it out...hope you feel better soon.
{{{hugs}}}

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.