Anyone cook with Ghost Peppers? Help!

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
I have successfully grown a ghost pepper plant! I have picked three peppers so far. I have cut and froze one and am drying the other 2. I don't really know what to do with them. My daughter likes "hot" and wants a batch of salsa and chili made. Has anyone made either one with the ghost pepper, not sure how much to use. Are they hotter fresh or dried? Help!!! Thanks! Kay

Ghost peppers are very hot - actually the hottest peppers on earth. Hotter than Scoth Bonnet peppers. Use very sparingly - they can do damage. Most of the heat of peppers is in the seeds and ribs on the inside of the pepper, so removing them will serve you well. Wear gloves and/or immediately wash your hands after cutting them - DO NOT touch your eye area. I would recommend Googling ghost pepper usage for more tips and ideas. This is not a pepper to make mistakes with.

I looked up these peppers on you tube. If you saw how people suffer with these peppers you may want to throw them out. It is horrific!

Please be careful making anything with them and I would let the person know that you used the hottest pepper on earth. They may not want to eat them after they know what could happen to them.

Janie

I cut the top off of one and smelled it, it actually smelled sweet to me and my DD touched the end to her tongue and said the roof of her mouth felt hot along with the back of her throat...she drank a glass of milk and was fine. I cut it up (without gloves) and put it in the freezer. Will try it in salsa this week.

They can be very good - just start slow with less than you think you want. You can always add more. Enjoy!

I haven't - I usually use jalepenos or chipotles. If you Google "ghost pepper recipes" you'll find several. You can mostly just swap them out for other peppers in your existing recipes. You could pretty much use them anywhere you would use habeneros or scotch bonnets, which are also high-capsaicin peppers. Just be very judicious, for previously discussed reasons.

I haven't - I usually use jalepenos or chipotles. If you Google "ghost pepper recipes" you'll find several. You can mostly just swap them out for other peppers in your existing recipes. You could pretty much use them anywhere you would use habeneros or scotch bonnets, which are also high-capsaicin peppers. Just be very judicious, for previously discussed reasons.

Thank you! I will give them a cautious try! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.