Anyone "can" their own food?

Gobias

Cathlete
Years ago, I canned tons of food when it was in season. I always ate it within a year, if not way less.

However, I just stopped canning and eating my canned food and still have a bunch left. How long is it safe to eat? The jars were kept in my pantry (room temperature), I see no indication of denting/bubbling/leaking. The see-through jars allow me to see the food, and it looks normal. The youngest jars are 2 years old, but some go up to 3 and 4 years old.

I hate wasting food, but now I am freaked out! I probably won't eat some of it myself, but was going to prepare it for my S.O. - however, I am not ready to get rid of him ;). The only jars I would really be disappointed about losing are my canned peaches - they are from the BEST peaches I have ever tasted, IMO (2 yrs old).

I have peaches, whole/crushed/diced tomatoes, syrups, juices, beans, cherries, apple pie filling and probably a few other things.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Gobias,

I have no suggestion, I am afraid. I am following this thread though. Looking forward to reading cathletes post. Interesting thread.:):)

I've canned food for years. I think your canned food will be fine. Looks like most of the food was water bath canned. The beans were probably pressure canned. Open the older food. Smell it, taste it, if it passes those tests, use it. I don't see any problem with any of it. Definitely use those peaches. I have eaten my "older" canned food. Never had a problem.

Thanks for all the input - yes everything was a water bath except the beans were in the pressure cooker.

I am going for it - if you don't hear from me in a week, call poison control!

On another note - the reason I stopped canning was because of the amount of sugar/salt needed. I was always taught not to play with the amounts of sugar/salt due to the safety of the food. Does anyone have a resource where I don't need to use any sugar/salt (or at least a very little amount?) Mainly for fruits (sugary enough!) and tomatoes and juices (again, sugary enough!).

I always use less sugar. The recipe usually makes the canned fruit so sicky sweet, that I never use the amount stated. I don't add sugar to my tomatoes, and I use very little salt. I add an orange slice to each bottle of peaches ,so delicious! I can the things I like and use, and most often I tweak something. Enjoy!

:D:D Lol Gobias,I love the way you approach this concern with humour:D
I read this yesterday nearly midnight western europe time ---- I was in my bed and thought let's read the forum.
Thanks for my last giggle of the day:)

Thanks for all the input - yes everything was a water bath except the beans were in the pressure cooker.

Karen, we may need to get this thread deleted....we don't want to be held responsible if the worst happens....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.