Anyone became vegan for health?

I did it because of the horrors of factory farming. To animals, the environment, the workers and the energy it takes. The destruction of small farms, etc. The ghastly cruelty involved in treating animals like feelingless meat-making machines. This includes, of course, the dairy and egg industries. Animals are not people, but neither are they rocks.

Veganism does have health benefits, but I don't believe you can argue that small amounts of meat and dairy are in any way unhealthy, when combined with plenty of fruits and vegetables and moderate whole grains. It is healthy though, and easier to avoid a lot of the crappiest foods, not so much because they're vegan, but because you begin to develop more self-control and awareness about your selections.

But I'm not a zealot about it. I sometimes eat farmer's market eggs, meat served at a friend's house, pork in the pork 'n beans. Butter in a muffin. These "sins" will not make the difference. But most of my food-buying dollars are spent in accordance with my values. Same with organic, local, etc. I do it mostly, but I'm not a nut case.

I think this website has a healthy attitude.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/

I do it mostly, but I'm not a nut case.
>
>
Hmmm..guess that makes me a nut case, since I don't do the "meat served by friends" , "pork in the pork and beans" etc. thing .:eek: Maybe something other than "nut case" would be more appropriate?

Katia,
I became a vegetarian, and then a vegan, because I could not reconcile eating animals with my feelings of compassion for them or the fact that they are feeling beings. I believe that in our modern society, it is unnecessary to use animals for food or clothing, etc., so to do so is a choice. My veganism, to me, is a way of making a choice every day.

I am a "whole foods" vegan, and rarely, unless forced to by circumstances, eat white bread, flour, etc. The whole foods part is for health reasons (and if I am concerned about the welfare of other beings, it would be silly not to be concerned about my own!)

Mogambo.. thank you that website is great :)

Kathryn... do you mind giving a sample of what your daily diet is like?
I'm mostly doing this for health reasons so whole foods is my # 1 priority.

Thank you :)

I do agree with Kathryn and Mogambo about the reasons for not eating meat due to the animal cruelty. Also with the growth hormones and other antibiotics injected in the animals in the US, I don't feel comfortable putting that into my body either by consuming the meat.

I know this will be repetitive for those here that know me but after a few years of gaining weight even while exercising I found out about a book called "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Fuhrman. I found this book interesting and my DH and I decided to try not quite all the way vegetarian with just about 12 ounces of animal protein a week. After a week we both decided to try Vegan. Except for whey protein powder on occasion and maybe some other hidden animal proteins I have not read about yet, I have been Vegan for almost 6 months. I lost a total of 21 lbs and my DH lost 30. One thing I want to do but put off is get my cholesterol checked again as it was a bit high 6 years ago. I feel great and have had many compliments on my skin (of all things!) and also people want to know how I lost the weight. I have had the best compliment of all when a client said I was always fit but now I am lean!! Thanks to my diet, P90X, Cathe and running..:)

Vegan eating has shown me many foods I had never even considered eating before. I have about 5 Vegetarian/Vegan cookbooks and try new recipes all the time. Kathryn has also posted some great recipes. I also go to a site www.vegsource.com for more vegetarian info.

Another book recommended to me in this forum from Gina is "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins. Now that one opened my eyes alot!......:)...Carole

My son (age 16) is a vegan, and he converted me to vegetarianism. We make a lot of tofu stir-fry and bean and rice burritos! I can't quite make the move away from dairy (esp. milk in my coffee). I saw posted on one of these threads the www.veganessentials.com website, and they offer pea protein powder (which I ordered - their delivery is speedy) and vegan "jerky" (pretty good, actually, at least if you've been off meat for a while). [They also offer a wild pair of vegan cowgirl boots, believe it or not!] I've added walnuts to my diet, and, if anything, I've lost weight! I hope other vegans will post website information. Carol

I've played around with being a vegetarian and/or vegan for a few years. It is definitely how I prefer to eat. Mostly just because I like the way I feel when I eat that way. However, every time I've done it I've gained weight and I actually need to be losing it not putting some on! My only answer as to why is the heavy concentration of carbs over proteins. If anyone has an answer to this dilemna I would really appreciate it, since as I said, I really prefer this way of eating but just can't afford the extra pounds right now. I'd also like to see someone's daily menu.

Hi, Katia. Here's a sample of a typical day's worth of meals:
Breakfast:
The lazy way: a shake combining vegan complete meal replacement(a pea/rice protein powder with vitamin, minerals, antioxidants and digestive enzymes, from www.veganessentials.com ) and omega zen meal replacement powder (strawberry).

The "I've got time to prepare something" way: cracked oats with soy milk, a Tbsp or so of ground flax, maple syrup. A piece of fruit.

Or:
Food for life sprouted grain hamburger buns spread with peanut or soy butter and jam (bilberry, strawberry or raspberry) and soy milk. Some fruit if I'm humgrier.

Lunch:
The lazy way: an Amy's veggie cuisine frozen meal with a salad or raw veggies and/or an apple and possibly some carrot juice.

A salad or raw veggies (red peppers, cucumbers) and hummus.
A sandwich made with Yves veggie "ham," baby spinach (organic when possible), "Food for life" Hamburger bun, veggie mayo, mustard.
An apple

Or: Tempeh mock "chicken or the egg" salad (steamed tempeh, shreded and mixed with chicken salad seasonings like vegan mayo, celery, scallions, etc. It's supposed to imitate chicken salad, but also seems a bit like egg salad...but I haven't had either for over 20 years, so what do I know!)with an apple and carrot juice.

Or: 4 bean "can-0pener" salad (black soy beans, green beans, garbanzos, kidney beans, sometimes corn, pimentos, sometimes olives, with a bit of Zesty Italian dressing ) on a bed of romaine or spinach.

Dinner:
Lentil soup with blue or red corn chips and a yam.

Or: Veggies and seitan "sautéd" in cooking sherry and/or mirin with a salad.

Snacks throughout the day:
Organic vegan food bar or hemp bar
Fruit
raw veggies and hummus

Beverages:
water, water and more water
green tea, white tea, black tea, rooibos (red) tea
soy milk
carrot juice

Cbelle,
Do you eat white flour products? If so, substitute whole grains for them. Because of the fiber, you will eat fewer calories of the same types of food to feel full.

Start each meal with a raw fruit (breakfast) or vegetable (a huge salad for lunch and dinner).

Watch the % of fat you are consuming.

Kathryn, no, I eat only whole wheat products (pasta, bread etc.) I can't think of what might fat might have been. Although I'm not really into eating fatty stuff so I don't think it would be high. Usually around 30g.

>Kathryn, no, I eat only whole wheat products (pasta, bread
>etc.) I can't think of what might fat might have been.
>Although I'm not really into eating fatty stuff so I don't
>think it would be high. Usually around 30g.

Try cutting down on any flour product like pasta and bread and cereals made from flour(whole wheat or not). The more processed a food is (whole grain or sprout vs. that grain ground into flour), the easier the body digests it. At least this is Neal Barnard's theory, and I concur, having eliminated flour from my diet for a while (I don't have the discipline to do it all the time) and losing weight from that.

Also, try reducing the amount of grain-type carbs (bread, rice) and increasing the amount of veggie-type carbs.

>Kathryn, no, I eat only whole wheat products (pasta, bread
>etc.) I can't think of what might fat might have been.
>Although I'm not really into eating fatty stuff so I don't
>think it would be high. Usually around 30g.

Try cutting down on any flour product like pasta and bread and cereals made from flour(whole wheat or not). The more processed a food is (whole grain or sprout vs. that grain ground into flour), the easier the body digests it. At least this is Neal Barnard's theory, and I concur, having eliminated flour from my diet for a while (I don't have the discipline to do it all the time) and losing weight from that.

Also, try reducing the amount of grain-type carbs (bread, rice) and increasing the amount of veggie-type carbs.

There in lies the problem no doubt. I don't care much for veggies. CErtainly not by themselves. Salads yes, variuos veggies in a hummus wrap/sandwich yes. But a big bowl of steamed broccoli is all? no thank you. Maybe that's my problem.

There in lies the problem no doubt. I don't care much for veggies. CErtainly not by themselves. Salads yes, variuos veggies in a hummus wrap/sandwich yes. But a big bowl of steamed broccoli is all? no thank you. Maybe that's my problem.

Most of my life I have been near-vegetarian b/c I don't care for the taste and texture of meat, poultry, etc. Once the high protein craze hit, I got caught up in it and changed to lean meats & veggies, completely eliminating potatoes & pasta. I did this for 2 years and had a difficult time keeping my weight down. I read the book "Eat More, Weigh Less" by Dean Ornish and returned (very happily) to my vegetarian ways. I have so much more energy and feel so much better. Now I pretty much eat vegan b/c I've never really liked eggs or milk either.

I am a daily restaurant eater and my typical day will look like this:

Snack - 1/2 cup grapes
workout
Breakfast - 2 servings oatmeal w/2 tbls raisins
Lunch (restaurant) - soup & salad, or soup & baked potato, or pasta w/tomatoes or tomato sauce
Snack - banana, fruit, or 2 cups veggies (carrotts, grn beans, bell peppers)
Dinner - black bean/rice burritto or brown rice mixed w/cooked veggies or 1 lb. steamed veggies

I would also like to second the great book suggestion given above - Eat to Live by Joel Furhman

you guys are really making me want to give this another shot. I'd love to continue to see your menus of what you eat each day! Love getting ideas!

Jen.. I'm the same way. I never really liked meat, eggs, or anything dairy. The only meat I can tollerate is chicken. So although I was never vegan on purpose, it kind of turned out that way (except for the occasional times I forced myself to eat meat to get some protein in).
Then the high protein craze started and I started eating chicken and eggs (no way can I force myself to eat anything dairy, so that was out of the question). However that diet just made me get sick (turned out I actually have egg and dairy allergies), so now I want to go vegan, but I want to do it right this time.

At least for the first 6 weeks of the Eat to Live diet...I rarely ate any bread, pasta or starchy veggies which I am sure helped in my weight loss. I would say now I might have a whole wheat pita or tortilla maybe once a week, pasta maybe like 1/4 cup a week. I am just not a huge fan of those foods...although I do like potatoes!..:) here is what my daily menu looks like:

Coffee and half a genisoy protein bar before my workout
B: Fruit smoothie consisting of 2 cups various fruit, 1 T ground flaxseed, 1 scoop soy protein powder and 3/4 cup of soymilk.
Snack: fruit or half a genisoy protein bar
L: Salad consisting of 3-4 cups spinach and romaine lettuce, tomato, onion, 1/4 avacado, mushrooms, 1 cup of pinto beans w/2T Zesty Italian dressing. Then about 2 cups cantaloupe or maybe an apple and some grapes.
Snack: fruit and some walnuts
Dinner: Tofu stirfry with lots of veggies (I love cabbage), another salad similar to the lunch one.
Dessert: another smoothie I share with my DH, 2 cups frozen fruit, 1 banana, 1/2 cup soymilk ( kinda tastes like sherbert!)

I have been making alot of soups and chilis and sometimes have them for lunch instead of the fruit. I always try for 2 salads a day but I'll eat veggies with hummus if I miss one. I also have some Kashi cereal maybe twice a week. I try for about 60-80 ounces of water daily ..:)...Carole

Ok. My question is... can you get adequate protein on a vegan diet? That is, without feeling like you stuffed yourself just to get in your daily allowance. I would do this, but I am terribly ignorant or just lazy about getting in enough protein for muscle growth. Otherwise, I really love vegetables (exept beets) and care about animals.

And as I typed that sentence above, I felt my own hypocrisy. I still eat meat yet I really care about animals, the chickens, the cows etc.

But I promise I will learn more, now that you guys brought up this topic & I now have a few good websites to explore. Thank you.

Smoogy

Although I've only made the move to vegetarianism (I still eat cottage cheese and drink milk), I have found some great vegan sources of protein. www.veganessentials.com sells a very high protein pea-based protein powder, which works well as a supplement. Tofu is high in protein (you can get low fat varieties, although all the fat in tofu is unsaturates); they now have some high protein, lower carb pasta that also helps up the protein. Rice and beans are complementary proteins, so eaten together they are a good source of protein. There are some great soy 'milk' products in the grocery store now. These days, the soy-protein based 'burgers' are quite good, they even have soy-based 'chicken' nuggets! Maybe you should take it in stages, first try being a vegetarian?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.