Anyone a physical therapy assistant?

jcm

Cathlete
I received my bachelors in English/Business in 1994. Now, after being an at hom mom for 13 years it's time to change direction. PT fascinates me. I can't go sit in front of a computer again. It takes 2 (probably very long) years to get a PTA assistant certification. Anyone here gone through the program? Looking for any info good or bad you might have.

Jen

Physical Therapy Assistant

The community college I work for is offering a PTA Associates of Applied Science degree program. We require 20 hours of field experience with a certified PT before a student is accepted in the PTA program. The reason for this is that there is a misconception of what a PTA does. A lot of times it is hard work, e. g. assisting people getting their range of motion back that are at least twice your own body weight.

I would go to a PT and see if you can watch/volunteer for a week before spending any money on a program. I would go with a college degree and not just a certificate. Certificates don't really mean much anymore in the real world of competitive job hunting. I have noticed several job openings in my area for PTA that actually require a LPN or RN license.

Not sure if I asked my question. It is a PTA degree from a local community college. Maybe certification isn't the correct terminology. It's an Associate's Degree. I don't want to be physical therapist ... too much schooling and responsibility. I want to be "in the field" actively working with people.

I've actually spent a lot of time in the PT office. Four times (and I mean four injuries - probably 2 - 3 months per injury) and now I'm taking my mom 3x week for a neurological problem. Whenever I go - for her or for me - I love watching and listening and learning. And I'm impressed by the knowledge I have thanks to Cathe :)

I would recommend you look at the board of physical therapy for your state. Not sure that all states have the same details, but in Maryland, you can find the requirements for all licensed professionals on the various board websites.

Another thing to consider, some facilities hire PT aides. These are usually entry level positions that don't pay real well. However, you have the advantage of getting some hands on experience. When I had to do PT for a shoulder issue, the aide would apply the ice pack and do some clean up. In some places, the aide may assist with transfers or transporting patients through out a hospital. If you are selective, you could look for a company that offers tuition reimbursement.

I'm not a PT, I work with Medicaid billing, so I have to have an understanding of licensure.

Hi. I'm a PT but have worked with lots of PTAs. The PTA program is a 2 year degree. Schools vary but usually the first year is pretty much all classroom work and the 2nd year is when you do your clinical rotations which vary from 4-8 weeks. The board test and law exam varies between states. I think it's a great field to get into and us PTs need PTAs :) Good luck! If you ever have any questions about the field feel free to message me.

Hi. I'm a PT but have worked with lots of PTAs. The PTA program is a 2 year degree. Schools vary but usually the first year is pretty much all classroom work and the 2nd year is when you do your clinical rotations which vary from 4-8 weeks. The board test and law exam varies between states. I think it's a great field to get into and us PTs need PTAs :) Good luck! If you ever have any questions about the field feel free to message me.

I had no idea you were a PT! I'm in the DPT program right now and will graduate in June 2015. I absolutely am in LOVE with PT and am so glad I made the career change. I will be picking your brain for sure if that's ok? ;)

At almost 42 yrs old (next week!) I feel like I'm too old. Then I see all the parkinsons stuff going on at my mom's PT place and figure a lot of these folks would probably prefer an "older" PTA rather than a 20-something year old! I'll probably pm you. Thanks so much!

PTA

Hi there, I am a PTA in Maine. I graduated last May. I am currently working in a SNF and in an out patient clinic right now as a per-diem employee. The program is tough but well worth it. If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them. It is an associate,s degree and you do have to take a state board exam to get licensed.

I had no idea you were a PT! I'm in the DPT program right now and will graduate in June 2015. I absolutely am in LOVE with PT and am so glad I made the career change. I will be picking your brain for sure if that's ok? ;)

Pick away :) I have my doctorate as well. It was a tough program that's for sure but worth it in the end. Feel free to message me anytime!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.