Any vegans in Catheland?

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Happy Mothers Day to you all!

I was just wondering if there were any vegans out there? I have heard and read great things about it but was wondering about getting inadequate amounts of protein especially when doing Cathe workouts. I know that no animal products are eaten how do you prevent yourself from becoming tired or hungry all day.
What do you eat for snacks?

Americans are obsessed with protein intake. There are several industries who have done a fabulous job in brainwashing people into believing that we need more protein. Fact is that no one in America has ever been hospitalized for protein deficiency. If anything we eat way too much. If you look at the protein content of breast milk it gives a clue that our protein requirements are not as high as we are made to believe. I think we can all agree that during infancy to need for protein is the highest at that time, yet the protein content of breast milk is only 6 %. Even when you take the calculation of RDA at 0.8 g per kilogram (= 0.36 g per lbs of body weight) it is easy to obtain what the body needs with non-animal sources. 1 cup of broccoli contains 5 g of protein, 1 cup cooked lentils 18 g, 1 cup oatmeal 6 g and 1 cup almond milk 8 g, throw in a few veggies like kale or a Tbsp of peanut or almond butter and you are are all set. With protein more is not necessarily better!
As for comparison of plant protein and animal protein. Plant protein is easier digested, animal protein has to first be broken down into amino acids.
I try to eat a variety of veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds but I don't count how much protein. I believe in good nutrition over time, it doesn't have to be perfect every day or with every meal. HTH.

I'd also recommend reading "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina (two well-respected vegan registered dieticians who keep up with the latest research). It's a good overview of vegan eating, with recommendations for nutrients and how to get them.

Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" or "Eat for Health" (as previously mentioned).

Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet" is a new book that's pretty good as well. It focuses on an alkaline vegan diet (limiting acid-forming foods, including excess protein).

I really enjoyed Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. I became a vegetarian (well, technically, pescavore since I still occasionally eat fish) after reading that book a little over a year ago. She tells you how you can gradually become a vegan or you can dive into it. I'm not crazy about her recipes, but I loved reading her opinions on the topic.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.