Any suggestions on puzzle mats?

nspire

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

I'm in the process of turning my garage into a home gym and was wondering if any of you had any ideas on where I can purchase heavy duty puzzle mats. I bought some from I think Big Lots, but they slide over the floor, I need something a bit more sturdier.
Suggestions please

Dana

Check with Walmart online. I know someone said this in a previous thread. I also think Amazon was another site. Good luck and congrates on the home gym.

Kim

I bought black 12x12 inch squares from amazon and use these around my heavy bag. For my aerobics/weight area I bought 24 2'x2' squares from foamtiles.com. I wanted color that is why I went with the larger tile. Bought when they were on sale and love them. I have them on an industrial carpet so they really do not slip at all. When I used them on wood floors I put double side tape in several areas underneath and they stayed put.

Mine are tatami, don't remember where I got them, there are many sites that advertise & they're really good for plyo stuff. Wish I would have had them when I first started with Cathe. Mine slide on carpet, I just throw a weight on either end.

FYI - Amazon has Everlast MMA, heavy bag, gloves at 25% off, DOD coming in a week or so.

Sam's Club

My local has both types, the colorful puzzle mats with black backs and the thick rubber ones you would use for under heavier equipment to protect flooring. I bought the colorful ones several yrs ago for about $20 and they've even held up against a few pesky cats here and there and one very large Rotty that liked to do my stretches with me.

As for sliding, if you still want to use the ones you have, go to walmart and buy some sticky mat thingies. I have no clue what they are called but it's sold in a roll right next to contact paper (at Target in particular) cut a few long sections and plop that down under your mats; it should prevent slipping. I used this stuff under rugs and it kept those same pesky cats from using them as entertainment.

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. I'll have to go on Amazon or Walmart to see what they have.

I got my puzzle mats at Walmart, they are very sturdy and have been wonderful for me! I work out 5-6 times per week and do it all and high impact....I also workout in my garage, if you don't want them to move, you might want to use double sided carpet tape. My total mat size is 10 x 12 and they move a bit but not too much and I don't have the tape under it yet, but have purchased it...just haven't done it yet.

I have been very very happy with my Golds gym puzzle mats from Walmart, one of my best fitness investments!

I got mine at Menards. I've also seen some similar ones at Wal-Mart.

Have fun with your new workout area.

Brenda

I looked into getting some heavy mats. There are discussions on VF regarding mats and some people recommended the heavy mats that are used in horse stalks. I talked to the manager in the that department of our local feed store (Murdocks) and he said they sell more for workout areas and gyms than they do for horses. He said there was really no difference, between the official workout ones and the horse stalks ones, other than price.

I was concerned about leaving them down all the time, as the cats love to use my sticky mats for scratching and I am sure they would destroy any mats left down 24/7.

Would puzzle mats work placed over carpet? The sub-floor in my gym room (upstairs bedroom) is shot. I can't do any cardio because it hurts my legs too much and I can't afford to replace it right now.

I looked into getting some heavy mats. There are discussions on VF regarding mats and some people recommended the heavy mats that are used in horse stalks. (/QUOTE)

This is just what I did and could not be happier with my purchase. When I used puzzle mats in the past they would always move even after using double sided tape. The stall mats I bought at Tractor Supply are 4 x 8 and 3/4 in thick and only $43.00 each. They are very heavy about 108 lbs each so they don't move. The only drawback was the smell. A bit strong in the beginning so I lit Febreeze candles whenever I was down in the basement-(my workout area) and now I really don't smell anything anymore.

I hope this helps.

Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.