Any Reason Why the Cathe Site Was Down This Morning?

This is just getting comical. For the third time this week, I can't do a workout I want to do. I am trying to do Hardcore Extreme Hi Low and I click on the arrow to do the workout and get an error "This video was made private by owner!".

Again, not user error, not my computer. Unbelievable.

I just purchased the OnDemand subscription. When I click on the Cathe Live, it takes me to it, but it says it's offline now. What am I doing wrong? I do have access to all of Cathe's videos, though. I would like to try her new Live classes to take full advantage of this subscription. Thanks

Cheryl

I just purchased the OnDemand subscription. When I click on the Cathe Live, it takes me to it, but it says it's offline now. What am I doing wrong? I do have access to all of Cathe's videos, though. I would like to try her new Live classes to take full advantage of this subscription. Thanks Cheryl

Cheryl -

If you look to the right of the black box, level with to top of the back box, you'll see three words in small type: video, social media and twitter, for whatever reason, it defaults to social media. If you select video, the workouts will appear.

I did step HiiT tonight...loved it! Hope this helps and enjoy!

Pam

Pam - Thank you so much for that information. I looked at most of the latest threads on it, but just couldn't find my answer. How are things going with you, anyways?

Cheryl

This is just getting comical. For the third time this week, I can't do a workout I want to do. I am trying to do Hardcore Extreme Hi Low and I click on the arrow to do the workout and get an error "This video was made private by owner!".

Again, not user error, not my computer. Unbelievable.

. . . And, again. What's that 5 times in a week the site was down among a couple other issues?

Any other plans to shut down?

Last edited:
Server issues

So sorry this happened again! The problem this morning was not due to a scheduled maintenance to fix something, the server just became unresponsive and shut down without notice. It's been very frustrating trying to get this problem resolved with the data center. We thought after the data center replaced the raid controller card a few days ago that everything was fixed, but evidently it is not.

The problem we're having is only at night and the data center is not sure exactly what the problem is. We're all trying to figure this out right now and we will find solution, but sometimes problems like this take a while to figure out.

OMG!!! please stop!!!! I don't think they are enjoying the system going down this many times. You are not the only one who this affects but you seem to be the only one complaining about it. If you don't like it, then cancel and go some where else. I understand that when something is scheduled and then something happens to change it that it's no fun, esp. when you have no controll over it. But if you want technology, things will always happen to make it go down, scheduled or unscheduled. They are doing the best they can and I'm sure it's hard for SNM since they have little to no controll over their system that is run someplace else. I don't seem to be so harsh but really. They said that they have been having issues so maybe you should have had a back up knowing that the system hasn't been running correctly.

Hello Cheryl/momof10,

I have changed the default on the CatheLive page so that the Videos show upon going to the page instead of the Social Stream. Thank you for bringing that to our attention...makes sense that the videos should be there first! However, please let me know if it defaults back to the social stream...the setting does not seem to be very sticky and for some reason reverts back to it on its own at times.

OMG!!! please stop!!!! I don't think they are enjoying the system going down this many times. You are not the only one who this affects but you seem to be the only one complaining about it. If you don't like it, then cancel and go some where else. I understand that when something is scheduled and then something happens to change it that it's no fun, esp. when you have no controll over it. But if you want technology, things will always happen to make it go down, scheduled or unscheduled. They are doing the best they can and I'm sure it's hard for SNM since they have little to no controll over their system that is run someplace else. I don't seem to be so harsh but really. They said that they have been having issues so maybe you should have had a back up knowing that the system hasn't been running correctly.

Check their FB page. I am not the only one. I asked if there would be any more shut downs. A very legitimate question. Two of the problems were mistakes on SNM's part.

Yes, I will be canceling. No problem, there.

Funny, just the other day, my boss gave me a famous quote that went something along the lines of ...
"the best carriage harness maker in the country went out of business..."

Kuddos to Cathe.com for reinventing itself and embracing the future technology, as frustrating as it may be.

Oh! And here's another one...
"Without change, there would be no butterflies"

Hi gypsymom,

I think something for everyone to realize is that success with streaming is really dependent on two main things: 1. Your DSL or cable modem download speed and 2. Your computer. If either of these are lacking streaming can be frustrating at times. We certainly understand and get this.

The server problem we have had for the last week is really an unusual event. Our up-time for the last year has been 100% and that's a lot better than most sites and a heck of a lot better than healthcare.gov :p

But if you want to know real frustration try doing live broadcast like we do. The equipment we have had to purchase for our broadcast is very expensive, yet only about 25% of the equipment we purchase actually works. This means we waste countless hours ordering, installing, trying to figure out what is wrong, returning and then re-ordering different or replacement equipment that is not defective. It's frustrating, but we never gave up and over the months. We conquered these setbacks and developed a streaming studio that does't currently have an equal in our industry. Just as we didn't give up we hope customers having streaming problems don't give up either. I'm sure we will have issues with some of our future broadcasts, but we will solve those issues too.

We've dealt with consumers for years with our downloads and we realize from our experience that some people are wiz kids and others barely understand how to use a computer. Some people have the latest computer and operating system while others have 12 year old computers still running Windows 98 and IE6. If everyone just had a 100 mbs DSL and a new Mac things would be so easy for us. :D

I know many people are reluctant to switch to streaming. We heard the same arguments and complaints back when we started switching from VHS to DVDs years ago. For years after we first started making DVDs consumers purchased both VHS and DVDs because many preferred VHS over DVDs. We expect this will now happen with switching to streaming too.

Just as people have issues with streaming today, customers used to have many more problems with the new DVD technology. Over time the problems with DVD became less and consumers started to enjoy the advantages of their DVDs like "Premixes" and the ability to instantly go to a chapter point. VHS then slowly faded away and DVDs became the new standard.

Now DVDs are starting to fade away as streaming starts to take over as the new delivery system. You have to understand DVDs are an industry that is in decline and is collapsing rapidly. Blockbuster is gone and Collage Video closed and was then sold. I can tell from the stress in our duplicators reps voice that they know their business will soon end too. Though I think fitness DVDs will be the last to go because they offer certain advantages, they too will end in a few years or less.

My point with all of this is you need to realize that everything is going to streaming and you're going to need to make a switch at some point. There will eventually be no choice. We're still making DVDs, but just like when we starting switching from VHS you need to start preparing for streaming. For people that don't have a fairly new computer or have a lousy DSL this may be frustrating at first, but you can find a solution if you put an effort into it and don't give up.

On our end things will also improve. Soon we will release Cathe Cloud#2 with an adaptive player that can also handle Chapters and Premixes. By the end of this year features on our streaming will surpass those offered on our DVDs. Streaming delivery will improve too. In our office we have FIOS with a download speed of 312 mbs. In a few years this will be considered slow. Those of you that have really slow DSL's will fairly soon see your speed increase too. Even rural areas will eventually get high speed internet thanks to new technology.

We're not trying to make people jump to streaming from DVDs yet, but you should at least start thinking about switching and start making plans. Just as we conquered lose DVDs in their cases, fluctuating audio, FF an RW issues and other problems with DVDs, we will eventually do the same with streaming. You just have to be patient and not give up when you encounter an issue.

Murphy's Law

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately another old saying called Murphy's Law (whatever can go wrong will!) has been haunting us for the last two weeks. Though we certainly have some expertise in server issues, we're really dependent upon the data center to fix and maintain the server.

The server issue is not caused by the new streaming service, but instead something in the Cathe.com server is causing errors, memory failure and the server to crash on occasions. The log files and error messages led the data center to first believe the problems were caused by a bad BBU and then after that was replaced and didn't solve the issue a bad raid controller was thought to be the problem. Unfortunately we're still having issues trying figure out what the problem exactly is. We just don't know yet.

My best guess at this point is something is wrong with the backup software that is causing the load on the server to explode and for memory to be used that shouldn't be. This is still a fluid situation as we've been going back and forth with data center techs all day. We're probably going to have to force a backup so they can see what happens in real time. This may crash the server again, but hopefully will lead to a solution.

We know how important it is for everyone to get their Live and OnDemand workouts in, but unfortunately this is beyond our control. We will find a solution, but it may take a few more days and crashes for the real problem to become evident.

Firemedic,

I found your comments to be unnecessarily harsh. We are all customers here - expecting a product that we've paid for to work. A system being down on and off for days is very frustrating. I don't think the only solution here is to tell someone to simply cancel and go somewhere else. A little understanding about gypsymom's frustration might have been more effective and less silencing. We are all Cathletes here.

Thank you. I did cancel and part of the reason was the comment about needing a back up plan. I kept thinking to myself, "Why should I have to have a back up plan?"

All good. Not for me. I'm too trusting and maybe even naive. I scrutinized the On Demand description for any caveats before I signed up and there were none and still none I actually sign up.

Being an "early adopter" is exciting in that you get to try something first, but it's not without its pitfalls, since new stuff doesn't always work perfectly out of the box...the early adopters usually give lots of feedback that makes the service/item better for later adopters I'm the early adopter type, but it's not for everybody. I'm sure that as time goes by not only will there be fewer technical glitches, but the features of Cathe live will expand. It will be exciting to see it all come to be.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.