Any personal trainers out there?

lcobb2

Cathlete
Hello all,

I was wondering if there are any personal trainers out there? I'm AFAA certified and have 200+ RYT with Yoga Alliance. I moonlight with about 20 clients a week and LOVE it!!! Anyone else out there who do the same? I use my degrees in an administrative and managerial role (read: I sit at a desk all day), but train a client or two before "work" and then one after work and about 3-6 on Saturdays and Sundays. Personal training is my passion and don't feel like it's work at all. I use a lot of what I learn from Cathe with my clients. Anyone else out there like me????

Laura

"The difficult periods of life provide the best opportunities to gain useful experiences and develop inner strength. " ~ Dalai Lama

Yup, I'm ACE certified and teach bootcamp every morning. Waaay better than my day job!! :)

What do you love most about your job?

I love changing people's lives. It's amazing. I get paid for what I LOVE!!!

"The difficult periods of life provide the best opportunities to gain useful experiences and develop inner strength. " ~ Dalai Lama

Sorry--and why did you pick ACE rather than some other organinzation? Do you work contract or with a gym? And where???

Another ACE certified personal trainer and group instructor. I'm *trying* to study so I can get my CSCS.

Carolyn

Also an ACE certified personal trainer here and getting ready to take my group fitness exam. Sometimes I could kick myself for waiting this long to do something I love!

Coni

I'm not a personal trainer but I want to be!! I have the ACE study book, I just haven't committed to studying it yet. I have to admit, I've read the 1st chapter about 3 times. Its hard to grasp. But I have a passion for fitness, nutrition, and helping people. I'd love to get into group fitness instructing and virtual training.

Hi I'm a part time trainer/group fitness instructor as well. I actually did a 2 year exercise science program at a local community college and got my ACSM HFI. That was one of the hardest tests I've ever done. I also have AAFA's group fitness certication plus I'm a group kick and group power instructor. During the day I'm a hairdresser and at night I teach classes or train clients. I love my part time job so much I wish it was my full time job. Maybe one day.

Kris

I have the best job ever...I was originally an accountant for 10 years. I had to leave the field due to carpal tunnel, darn. I went back to school and got my BS in Kinesiology. Now I am a NASM-CPT, and ACE and NETA Group Fitness Instructor. I work for a gym as an instructor and for myself as a trainer. I also work for NETA as a presenter, coolest job ever. I have to say I don't make as much money as I did as an accountant, but I am truly happy.

Shayne

For all of the ACE certified trainers, how did you prepare for the exam? Did you read the text book all the way through on your own? Did you attend a workshop?

>Hello all,
>
>I was wondering if there are any personal trainers out there?
>I'm AFAA certified and have 200+ RYT with Yoga Alliance. I
>moonlight with about 20 clients a week and LOVE it!!! Anyone
>else out there who do the same? I use my degrees in an
>administrative and managerial role (read: I sit at a desk all
>day), but train a client or two before "work" and then one
>after work and about 3-6 on Saturdays and Sundays. Personal
>training is my passion and don't feel like it's work at all.
>I use a lot of what I learn from Cathe with my clients.
>Anyone else out there like me????
>
>Laura
>
>
>"The difficult periods of life provide the best opportunities
>to gain useful experiences and develop inner strength. " ~
>Dalai Lama

Hi Laura.
I could have written this email - I too sit at a desk all day doing administrative work and have my AFAA Personal Trainer Cert and have a few at home clients and teach a group exercise strength training class on Saturday mornings. If I could figure out a way to do fitness full time I'd be so happy. I absolutely hate what I do now but I need to make money to pay the bills!

Charlene

Laura, I did ACE because it seemed easiest and the test was sooner than the others I looked at. I work only as a bootcamp instructor, in the SF Bay Area, for www.communitybootcamp.com I started assisting at the site for a few months before my ACE results came back and I could be by myself. We have a larger class so we usually have 2 instructors but there were a few months where I was by myself. I do a new workout every day about 95% of the time. Cathe is an inspiration for me in all aspects of my life and if I need ideas I'll either steal them from her or I will rent videos from Netflix and steal from those. }(

I love meeting new people and seeing them change from timid and unsure to waaay more self confident and remarkably fit. The people at my site are just great and have become good friends. I couldn't ask for much more, except I'm not a morning person and this week I'm running a 5:30-7:00 class. :eek: :eek: :eek:

ETA: My "real" job is currently studying for the bar exam at the end of July. I've been working as a law clerk for a firm as I went through law school and done bootcamp in addition to that. I'm not planning to work in an office all day every day though so I've got some figuring to do!! ;)

I am an ACE-GFI, and NASM-CPT and I read the book to take the tests. I am also a presenter for NETA and I present the 2 day PT review class. Here are a couple of things to think about when deciding to go to a review class. How do you learn? Are you a person who can learn by reading, do you learn better by hearing the information, or do you learn best by doing? Are you a person who can set a study schedule and stick to it working toward the test. How well do you understand the material. You may be very comfortable with the information and therefore not have many questions. On the other hand if you have questions, attending a review session could be helpful to be able to ask for clarification on certain questions. And also, how nervous are you? A lot of people are very nervous about the exam and taking a review class helps ease their fears. Ultimately, attending a review class is really about what is best for you.

Good luck,

Shayne

Another wannabe here! I have been working out with Cathe for about 3 years and it has totally changed my life. I can't remember feeling this good about myself and would love to help others feel the same way:)

I have looked at material online, but haven't actually taken the step to purchase anything yet. I have two little ones so I'm not sure just how much time I can really dedicate to studying. But, I hope to be where some of you guys are within 6 to 12 months;-)

Trish

I am an AFAA certified personal training working at 24 Hour Fitness and LOVE my job.

I plan on getting the CSCS or one of the NASM's advanced certifications.

Being around Cathe's "educated crowd", it really is amazing to me how clueless people are about fitness. I think only 1 or 2 out of the 50+ people I have spoken to knew about 3500 calories being equivalent to a pound of fat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.