any mommies return back to work a week after baby was born

lulu68

Cathlete
I'm starting to get emotional. I'm a stay at home mom/work from home mom. I provide childcare for working moms. The mothers I work for have no back up, no family and I'm looking in returning back to work a couple of days after delivering baby, both for financial resons and feel somewhat abligated to the parents. My emotions are starting to take over now that I'm getting closer to my due date in early September. Did any of you mommies have to go back to work imidiately after baby was born, if so what are your tips...Should I put stricter pick rules on my parents in order to make it eaiser transition. Remember I am a mother of five now expecting # 6. Thank you!

Lourdes

OMG can things get any worst!

I just had one of the mothers drop her son off and she wanted to speak to me. She is recently divorce her husband and one pays one week and other pays other week. Anyways she mention that her X is having financial problems and is having a hard time affording payment and that the check he gave me last week might bounce. She also ask on his behave that if I would be able to give him a discount on his week of payment. With the new baby coming I don't know if I would be able to that. I'm sooo stressing right now!!!

Lourdes

I wouldnt do it. You do it once then they want it all the time. I would never ask that of anyone.

I wouldn't mind doing once, but he wants me to cut down the payment on his weeks to pay. About 3 weeks ago he was asking me if I would be able to watch his son on some Saturdays. Now I'm wondering if he wanted childcare for free on those Saturdays. Why would he ask if now he cant seem to afford payment. Thanks Wonderwomen...I hope you feel better! I have loose stools all the time, but thats because I eat lots, lots, and lots, of oranges all day! :)

You need to take care of yourself and your family first. You are not obligated to provide for these other families in your time of recuperation. At 1 week? Will you even be able to chase around more little kids? (realizing that you have 5 of your own already). You won't even be healed "down there" yet!

I would take a few weeks off, and tell your families that you'll be doing it, so that they can make alternative plans for that time.

As far as the payment issue goes, I would not help them. I think the husband it overstepping his bounds. Like you said, 1 time isn't bad...things happen. But consistently doing it? He's just asking you to lower your prices and provide the same service. Sorry, but just like his business has taken a hit, you can't afford for yours to as well.

Lourdes,

I don't mean to sound uncaring or non-compassionate, but you absolutely should not be discounting your services. You have set fees for a reason - this is business. You cannot go in to a restaurant and ask them to discount their menu items or go ask for a discount when you have your oil changed. You can't ask your OB to give you a discount on your ultrasounds or bloodwork. I know it may feel personal, but you need to remain professional and explain that your fees are set and you're understanding of their situation, but you're not in a position to give away your services at discounted rates.

Also, you're pregnant - you need to be taking care of yourself and keep the stress to a minimum. Chasing 6 kids around is not going to be easy so don't add any more stress to your lifestyle.

As far as returning to work, I think that's your call. I'm able to take 8 weeks of maternity leave (though all unpaid) and then I'll have to use a daycare when I return to work. I've offered to work a few Saturdays that are lacking coverage in September, but I should be 4-5 weeks postpartum by then. I thought about returning to work earlier for the paycheck, but this is my first child so I want time at home to get the hang of things. I think you have to decide what will work best for you and whether or not it means changes in how you run things with your childcare services.

Good Luck!
Carrie

UGH....His check payment just bounced againts my account!!! I have tried to email him and call them both several times and they havent got back to me! Ths is not a good time, kids are starting school on Monday, we where on our way out to do school shopping and thought it would be a good idea to check my account. I'm glad I did! It was his turn to pay for ths week and I have a check sitting on my counter, now I'm afraid to deposit...and to top it off his leaving to Montana tomorrow for 2 weeks to meet his new girlfriends parents! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lourdes

ouch!! i'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this - you don't need the stress! i hope things work out soon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.