Any info on Lexington, KY?

jcm

Cathlete
I'm in a last minute panic figuring out what to do for spring break! Thinking about going to Lexington and I'm just overloaded with internet searches. We'd be going with my 3 kids - ages 12, 9 and 4. If any fellow Cathletes have suggestions of where/what to go do and see (or to avoid!) that would be awesome!

Jenny

Hi

KY Horse park of course. And we really loved Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Home. It was fantastic.

Have fun.

Hi Jenny,

I work in Lexington, Kentucky and have general knowledge of the area. Granted I do not have kids, so most of the activities I are enjoy are not kid-friendly. With that said, i'll try to identify activities that might be of interest.

*Kentucky Horse Park and Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Home (as mentioned by conniejj). There's also Legacy Trail which is a 8-9 mile biking/walking trail.

*Keeneland - the spring meet starts April 5th. I recommend a week day visit (weekends are insane).

*Horse Farms - there are countless horse farms in and around Lexington that you can tour (i'd call and schedule in advance).

*Bourbon Trail - yes, I am aware this is likely not kid-friendly. However, I find the history behind the bourbon distilleries fascinating and most of the distilleries are located in horse country (i.e. beautiful scenery).

*Children Explorium of Lexington

*Cincinnati Children's Museum - located a little over an hour from Lexington, but well worth the time. My nephews (ages 6 and 2.5) love the museum!

*Raven Run Nature Sanctuary - hiking trails and outdoor stuff (never been there myself, but have heard nice things)

*Gatti Town (pizza, video games), Bounce U and Monkey Joe's (blow up bouncy things), and Champs Entertainment (indoor roller skating ring, laser tag, miniature golf, etc.) - These are not unique to Lexington, but still fun activities for kids.

*Mary Todd Lincoln House, the Hunt-Morgan House, the Henry Clay Estate - I fear your children may not find these interesting, but if you/they enjoy history, they are worth a visit.

*Lexington Children's Theatre (not such what's playing right now).

*The Arboretum - the state botanical garden. If the weather's nice, it's a relaxing, fun place to visit and explore.

*Shaker Village

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. :) I hope you enjoy Lexington!!

Last edited:
Could be something going on in Rupp arena. Agree with all suggestions.
We camp and love the Horse Park.
Shaker village and you can arrange to eat lunch there also.
Nice city. Have a lot of friends that live in Lexington and love it. :D

I think the others have covered it well but I wanted to jump on this thread just because I'm a KY girl. ;) I hope you have a great time!

Thanks for all the info! That will give me some direction this afternoon when I sit down to try to plan things. My 12 yr old daughter loves and rides horses, and we'll probably do the horse park, but she has to know for the sake of her brothers' this isn't her personal vacation! If she had her way she's spend the whole time in a stable or on a trail ride ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.