Any good workouts for the heavy bag?

aveggiegirl

Cathlete
I really like how Amy Bento uses the heavy bag in 2 of her videos and it's tempting for me to get one. However, I'd really like to find some more workouts for this before spending the money.

I haven't run across many, and the ones I have are now OOP, I think.

Ilaria Montagnari (sp!), the "Powerstrike" instructor, had one (an old video), as did Billy Blanks (Blanks actually had two, one more instructional).

I imagine their might be some boxing DVD's made for training boxers in bag technique, but they aren't made as "workout DVD's".

Another option is to keep the bag out and use it for certain segments in other kickboxing workouts, maybe modifying moves as necessary to fit the bag (I already modify Amy's "Rumble" workout because my bag isn't 'bendy' like hers, and knee strikes don't work well on it. Instead, I do a double backfist strike--one high, one low--then turn to the other side and repeat. That way, I get in more upper body work, and work the rear delts and triceps a bit more).

I like the bag segment on "Rumble," but I just looked over the one on Amy's other KB workout (which I had in my "get-rid-of" pile) and I wasn't as impressed: lots of jumping around and quite a short segment.

That sounds great!
How advanced are they (ie: is the "beginner" workout really "beginner"--which would be useless to me--or adaptable to all levels?). In other words: how many of the workouts in the set are actually usable by an advanced exerciser?

TIA!

I have done all of them and I think even with the beginner if you step it up in your own personal effort that it is still usable and not a total waste. I kickbox on the heavy bag or with Cathe 6days a week so I would say I am in the advanced level but I can still put in the Beginner tape and get my heart rate up. HTH!

I think combos 1 &2 of KPC would work on the heavy bag along with the punching drills at the end of 4DS KB. I was trying to think of combos where all the work is directed "forward". Those popped into my head first. Not sure about the combos in KM as I haven't done them in ages but possibly the kicking drills would work too. HTH.

I've thought of getting those Real Kick-boxing Bag workouts for some time, but am always hesitant about spending $50. and then possibly not liking the workouts. Thanks to Rumble, my passion for bag work has been ignited again, and I've been doing like Kathryn suggested. Last week, I did Tae-bo Live Adv. 3 and I used the bag for as many of the combos as I could. I had a blast and burned more calories than I do without the bag. Wish there were more bag workouts out there.

OHHHH, I have to wait until Christmas to get the bag. After seeing the real kickboxing previews i want it now. How many more days do I have to wait?

I just got the Realkickboxing workouts yesterday : I've previewed them all, but haven't done them.

The instructor was bugging me in the intro segments and the introduction to KB segment: kind of a hyper-caffeinated late-night-infomercial Bassomatic salesman personality. And when he exhaled on strikes, it was really long and odd: "SSSSHHHHHHSSS" (like a kid making a play 'ray gun' sound). But as I watched more of the actual workouts, it wasn't as bad. (But he has really puny lower legs: he could use some of my calves!)

It is different from most 'workouts' in that you always are in the traditional stance (left foot forward, right foot back) and never in southpaw (left forward, right back). I'm not sure if I'll feel I'm getting an unbalanced workout that way: maybe I'll alternate my stance throughout the workouts.

I definitely think all the workouts are usable, even the 'beginning' one.

Thanks for the recs on this, Kat!

Kathryn,

Will you use your standing bag for these (not hanging bag)? I would really like a free-standing bag but am trying to justify the cost if I only have Rumble and KBX that have heavy bag segments. Of course, given enough time, I can justify almost any purchase:eek:.

Carrie

Kathryn,

Will you use your standing bag for these (not hanging bag)? I would really like a free-standing bag but am trying to justify the cost if I only have Rumble and KBX that have heavy bag segments. Of course, given enough time, I can justify almost any purchase:eek:.

Carrie
Hi, Carrie!

I'm using a standing bag. In fact, the instructor says not to use a hanging bag, as it can cause injury (but maybe that's just for beginners?). I already have a standing bag, and have no room for, or interntion of getting, a hanging bag.

I whaled on my bag for about 5 minutes as a follow-up to another workout today: no DVD or prompting, just a series of punches, then doing the same punches as fast as I can. I really like the way the hooks felt (well, something was jiggling in the upper arm during them, but it felt like they would tone that area as well, LOL!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.