Any Good IT Band Stretches?

Nadja Z

Cathlete
Okay, so I'm pretty sure half the folks on here have some sort of chondromalacia/PFPS issues, so do any of you have any interesting iliotibial band stretches you'd like to share?

I've been doing the 'one foot in front, twist the torso and bend to the side' one, but that's the only one I know of. So...I'm kind of bored with it. My IT band and I are craving something new and exciting. I have to stay away from any indian-style sitting type stretches; my knees won't find that very enjoyable at the moment.

When I'm doing the one I mentioned, sometimes I can feel it really good from my hips down through my calves, but sometimes I just don't really feel like I'm 'getting it'. I can't figure out if my form's inconsistent or if I'm just looser to begin with sometimes. So if you have any tips on form that seem to make a difference, that'd be great too. Thanks everyone!

My sister has been battling this for the last couple of weeks. The only thing that has given her relief is a rolling the area on a foam roller. She said it hurts like heck but when she's done it feels so much better.

I love pigeon pose for this. Also foam rolling of the area. Here's a video that shows both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw&feature=related

Here's another one I do standing in a doorway: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html

ETA: I didn't realize clothesminded posted the same one. :7 Yeah, the pics are a little creepy, aren't they? But the stretch does feel good. As mentioned, I usually hang onto the doorway frame to get a deep stretch.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/SnowBunny_tns-1.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

One: Standing, cross one leg over the other and try to get your feet parallel to each other and as far apart from each other as you can. (I can usually get them 6-10 inches apart) then lean down and try to reach the ground with your hands.

Two: stand, put your toes of one foot on top of the other foot (you'll have the toes of bottom foot facing forward and the toes of top foot facing toward the pinkie toe of bottom foot), then lean down and try to touch the ground with your hands.

That's all I can think of besides the ones already mentioned! :)

Classical Stretch has some GREAT stretches for the IT band. Esp. in Athletes Intense Stretch. You sit down with your feet in front of you for it and I am so bad at explaining the rest! Hurts so good!!! This is my favorite stretch WO.

My physical therapist said that IT bands are pretty hard to stretch. Personally for me, foam rolling is really the only thing that has been effective at loosening up my IT band. I will try to incorporate some of these other stretches included here and see if any of those help me too.

Me too. My foam roller is what helped me get over my IT band issues after running a marathon. I also do some of the other stretches posted, the standing leg crossed over is a good one. I also do the pretzel leg one, but that might be hard on your knees. Those were ones recommended by the Physical therapist that I went to. HTH!

Another foam roller lover here....

How often are you foam rollers doing this? Twice daily? Only before running/workouts - only after? Both?

Heidi

Thanks RunninTeach and Jennifit!

Pigeon pose is my favorite! Before the knee problems really started, I'd always pause the dvd and hold it for a solid 2 or 3 minutes. But just the thought of it now makes my knees uncomfortable.

The standing ones looks good, though. Seems like there's a lot of variations on the one I've been doing. I'll be trying those today. Gosh, at 7 am these pics are freaking hilarious :7.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone! I'm looking forward to surprising that darn IT band with some new moves.

I hadn't thought of the foam roller. I don't really get how it works, but I will try anything and everything. Bring on the pain, if it helps with what the kneecaps have been feeling, I'm all for it.

>I hadn't thought of the foam roller. I don't really get how it
>works, but I will try anything and everything. Bring on the
>pain, if it helps with what the kneecaps have been feeling,
>I'm all for it.

My sister bought the foam roller through Perform Better www.performbetter.com and it came with a listing of exercises. You can actually download the listing from their website.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.