Another PiYo post

jengollf

Cathlete
This is for those of you doing PiYo. I am currently in the middle of a Body Beast/PiYo/Weider Ruthless hybrid rotation. Body Beast is the core of the rotation that I follow strictly, but I do Weider Ruthless 3x a week and PiYo 5x a week.

So? What do you think of PiYo? I am in week 4 of PiYo (week 8 of Body Beast) and OMG. The first two weeks of PiYo were child's play in comparison. I did Drench this weekend and WOW. That is one I will be working toward mastering. Yesterday was Hardcore On the Floor. Another Holy Cow. These are some of the most challenging workouts I have done in a long time. I am really looking forward to my results at the end of this rotation--in particular I am hoping that by the end of this rotation I can get through all of the PiYo workouts without having to hit pause or just personally pause due to pain!

I have to note that I never pause the majority of my workouts for any reason--I plow through them all and even when I am challenged, very few of them make me have to stop even for a few seconds. I can count on one hand the ones that do: Insanity, some of the Weider Ruthless workouts, X10/X78 in the beginning (not anymore--I can now get through X78 without pausing) and now some of the PiYo workouts! And own a lot of workouts. Nobody else does this to me!

Last edited:
I bought PiYo on a whim. I thought it would be a nice little gentle stretch. I was sooo wrong. I've been doing it since June, some of the workouts, still kick my butt. Big time. Drench is a perfect name for it. I have sweat dripping all over my mat, my clothes are soaked. Totally spent. I love the strength workouts with the gliding disks. I really love PiYo. I am also doing it with BODY BEAST. It's a great combination. I can't think of any of the workouts that I dislike. Some are definitely more difficult than others, but I'm so happy I bought it. Works my muscles in such a different way. Am I gushing? I apologize.

I bought PiYo on a whim. I thought it would be a nice little gentle stretch. I was sooo wrong. I've been doing it since June, some of the workouts, still kick my butt. Big time. Drench is a perfect name for it. I have sweat dripping all over my mat, my clothes are soaked. Totally spent. I love the strength workouts with the gliding disks. I really love PiYo. I am also doing it with BODY BEAST. It's a great combination. I can't think of any of the workouts that I dislike. Some are definitely more difficult than others, but I'm so happy I bought it. Works my muscles in such a different way. Am I gushing? I apologize.

I completely agree! I have to say, this hybrid rotation I am doing is the most effective one I have done in a long time. PiYo is working my body in ways it has never been worked before. I actually am afraid to stop when the rotation ends. I have to find a way to keep incorporating it into ALL my rotations! And I feel the strength I am gaining from these 3 programs is some of the best I've achieved in a long time. I have not put the emphasis on body weight work and core strength that I am getting now. BTW--Weider Ruthless is another one that does a lot of body weight and core work. And of course Beast is serious weight lifting.

I am gushing, too--about all 3! They fit together so nicely!

I love PiYo too. I only done PiYo Upper, lower body and sweat so far. I signed up for Suzanne Bowen Fitness streaming Barre workouts, lots of body weight work and core strength. Love it! One of those day's I will do a full PiYo rotation. I love body weight workout! They are tough but work wonders for my body.

I'm enjoying Piyo too. It is different from any workouts I've ever done. I think the first ones are to get people up to speed. I appreciated the education on yoga moves, which I am not very familiar with. I feel now that I am doing them correctly. You know how we always recommend a "newbie" get Cathe's "Basic Step and Body Fusion" to learn what they need to to do Cathe workouts? That's like the first Piyo workouts. They are worth doing at the beginning to make sure you have the alignment and lingo, etc. I'm sure the upper body one is useful for people without adequate upper body strength to do the later workouts. Not everyone is a Cathlete afterall! Chalene definitely put some thought into the sequence.

I've taken Pilates for 6 years and love how the moves are woven into these workouts. I feel I am gaining strength, flexibility, and balance. I've been adding them as afternoon workouts after doing Cathe cardio and strength workouts in the morning. I love this mix and am noticing gains. If you want pure yoga or pure Pilates, these are probably not for you. This set is a truly unique program. Love them!

I've done a couple weeks of PiYo and am really enjoying it, though I'm feeling my wrists from them so I need to get those babies stronger. This week I started PiYo/P90X3 rotation and I'm throwing in some Cathe (X10, Tabata, Hiit) twice a week on my double up days. I like that I can ease into a PiYo workout in the morning and then hit it hard at night with something more intense. I hope this plan will keep me busy and get me ready for Cathe's new workouts :)

Since my time to workout is so limited (3 kids and a fulltime job) I can't get enough 30 min workouts and I'm so happy that they keep coming up with new options.

Cindy

I can't believe it. These workouts are actually getting easier. Not easy--but I did Drench for the 3rd time this weekend and even tho I still found it challenging, I got through every move without failing due to pain and I didn't feel wasted afterward. And, as I mentioned on another thread, thanks to PiYo, I can now do tricep push ups on my toes.

Has anyone done Michelle Dozios BodyFit 360? I always pre-order her Peak 10 workouts but I had no interest in this when it came out (just like I had no interest in PiYo when it first came out). But now that I am so enamored with PiYo I decided to give BodyFit 360 a try since it seemed similar to PiYo. Well, I loved it! It is similar but not exactly like PiYo (it's more dancey)--and about the same intensity level as Drench. In fact, since right now I do Drench every Saturday, I'm going to start alternating between Drench and BodyFit 360.

Just wanted to share!

I've done Body fit 360 a handful of times. I love the tribal drums in the beginning!!! True to the title you DO move you're body 360 degrees. It made me realize how stiff and inflexible I am! An interesting workout. Michelle is a pretty incredible instructor.....plus that girl can move and groove!

I am interested in PiYo as a former modern dancer who loves flexibility work. I hesitate to spring for the whole PiYo set as I'm just looking for a little something to mix in with my cardio/strength work. I need something to take that crunchy stiffness of my muscles.
Would Body Fit 360 be a good individual DVD for this?
Or any other recommendations?
I'm up for a challenge...
Thanks!
Roz

Roz--I think it would work perfectly for that. And if you like it enough it might inspire you to get PiYo. I do think BodyFit hits the flexibility aspect really well. It is actually very well rounded workout.

I was not to sure about PiYo but i took a chance because i have done turbo jam and turbo fire and like chalene Johnson. i was glad that i did, i did 8 week rotation that came with the program but added some extra cathe premixes to the end of some workouts, i feel that my flexibility has improved, helped with tricep push ups, side planks, core and balance, Ex: started with leg - PiYo buns, then x10 low impact section by cathe, or low impact hitt premixes. I felt that i got more out of the cardio because my range of motion was very much enhanced. I added some upper body premixes to the core workout. It helped me move out of a plateau that i felt i couldn't get past. I lost a few ilbs and my core has improved and have the best rear view ever. i will take what i have gained and move into sts and shock wave rotation. oh and i am 49 yrs old.

Justinef that is a good idea to do PiYo before a cardio. I had thought about doing them after the cardio but never felt like doing it lol so I think if I do piyo fist It would be like and stretch and warm up and workout leading into a harder workout and may get me more ready for the hard cardio. Thanks for posting and congrats on the great rear view !! Lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.