Another dog problem

kaykay

Cathlete
We got our puppy at 12 weeks. We house broke him. He didnt have accidents. Now, every night he poops. It is not worms. It is wetter than it normally is and soft. The vet. didnt give me any ideas just gave him dewormer which didnt make a difference. She said he may be just being bad. If that were the case his stools would be normal--am I right? Wondering if you have any ideas of why he is doing this. Thanks. He doesnt do it during the days but we are home enough to let him out all the time.

Have a good day.

Karen - Do you crate him at night? I would at least until this passes. He may be getting into something or he may just be acting out because everyone is in bed and he is left out - it could be runnier because he's anxious. It might take a little time to get him used to the idea if he isn't crate trained yet, but eventually most dogs come to LOVE their crates. It's their own private security "den". My dogs run to their crates at night when I say bed time.

Hi there:

This has happened occasionally with my two (now almost 11-year-old) dogs from time to time. Here are some things that seem to be related:

A change in their diet - not just their regular food, but also treats, chewies, and other "extras"

Stress

Illness

Reaction to shots or other medications

Eating strange things they find on the sidewalk before I can get it away from them (arg!)

I'd be wary of the explanation that the dog is just "being bad." Dogs generally want to fit in with their family/pack, and I'm not sure they're ever really vindictive -- as one of the previous posters suggested, dogs do experience anxiety and uncertainty in response to changes in the household.

Dogs also get little intestinal/digestive upsets from time to time (just as we do), and this seems like a more likely explanation, given the circumstances.

If your vet OKs it, it may be safe to administer a little Pepto Bismol (but defninitely check with the vet first). This has been effective for my dogs in the past. Sometimes withholding food for 24 hours gives their digestive system time to recuperate from whatever irritation is bothering them, but again, it's best to consult a vet.

I'm a little confused about why your vet just gave up after checking for worms. Both of my dogs have gotten bacterial infections and other "stomach flu"-like issues that caused similar problems, and she treated them with anti-diarrheal shots and gave them fluids to ensure they don't become dehydrated. It really helped. Maybe you need to explore other vets in your area!

Thanks. The dog is 8 months old now. He eats purina puppy chow. He never had problems with this food before. I have been feeding it to him since I got him, however reading some other dog posts I may try something different. Can a change in what a dog can handle change within that time frame? We do not give him snacks. He did eat some of a nerf ball a couple of weeks ago, but I would have though it would have been through him by now. He was crate trained when he was younger but does not like it anymore. Thanks again for your help.

He eats purina puppy chow. He never had problems with this food before. I have been feeding it to him since I got him, however reading some other dog posts I may try something different. Can a change in what a dog can handle change within that time frame? We do not give him snacks. He did eat some of a nerf ball a couple of weeks ago, but I would have though it would have been through him by now

Hmm. Were they small pieces of nerf ball, or a big chunk of Nerf? I wonder if that could be causing problems for the poor guy. Is it possible that he ate something outside, or sneaked some little scrap outside that might be disagreeing with him? My dogs are experts at nabbing little bits of grossness off the ground when we're outside on walks - pizza crusts, discarded chicken wings, things like that. On occasion, I think these little tidbits have caused digestive upsets.

Is he still feeling/acting poorly? Has there been any improvement?

Again, since I'm not an expert, I don't really know how dogs' food tolerance might change, but I have definitely noticed that what goes IN to my dogs has a very obvious correlation with what comes out. I feed mine a mixture of dry food (Flint River Ranch, Avoderm or Artemis) and soft/wet food (Freshpet). Almost everyone I know who has tried it agrees that the Freshpet is very well tolerated (and dogs are crazy about it). Here's a link to their website, maybe they sell it somewhere nearby?

Thanks all. There is no place within 60 miles that sells Freshpet. I did buy some dry that does not have corn it it and will see if that works. He ate big chunks of the nerf ball but I would have expected it to be done by now. Maybe he got into something else. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. I have not had a dog since I was 12 and I really did not take care of it myself.

you may also want to try "natural recipe" they have wet,dry and snack foods. there's no beef, corn, wheat and by-products and fillers. I use the venison wet/dry/snacks for 4year with no problems. Zoe was having skin, coat and digestive problem. This really helped alot. I go on petsmart.com to get it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.