another ? about the stability ball size

Tricia Haley

Cathlete
Hi all!! I, like everyone else, am sooooooooo excited about the new body blast series!! My question is, "I ordered the stablility ball that cathe used in the body blast series (55 cen). I just recieved it yesterday and when i got done blowing it up it looked really small. I checked the box to see if i recieved the correct size for me (i'm 5'3) and everything looked correct. So i got back on the web site to see if i had read the size wrong, it did say 55 cm but the picture of the ball even looked bigger that what i got. So i also tried to find (on the forums) if cathe had ever mentioned the size of ball she used for the Intensity Series but could not find any information of the size of that ball. So now i am wondering if i should reorder a bigger size (65cm)? When i sit on this ball i dont feel like my legs are at a 90 degree angle, i feel like my legs should be up allittle higher. I almost feel this ball is mismarked but when i called the company she assured me that if i got a pink ball then that was the right size. I don't know, it sure doesn't look as big. I would almost think it was a defect. What size is everyone else using? Has anyone ordered the ball that Cathe is using in the body blast series? and if so have you recieved it and what do you think.? Thanks for your time!
Tricia M.Haley:+ :+ :7

See if it will take more air. I remember when I first blew mine up (a good time to practice zen, as I recall) I thought I was finished long before I really was. Then measure it and if it's not 55cm diameter, send that puppy back! You got a lemon!

--Ann

I second houndogs suggestion. those balls really stretch. try blowing it up some more. i had the same reaction when i first blew my ball up, that it was too small. then i measured it and it was! i hadn't "finished" blowing it up. :)

hth
susan

Thanks gals for your suggestions. I did try blowing it up more and although it did blow up some i think it was close to its limit. I do still think it looks smaller but i'm going to try it out on the intensity series and then see how it works on the body blast series when i get that, and if i am still not satisfied then i will probably purchase the 65 cen. ball and let my girls have the other. Thanks again for taking the time to answer!!
:7 :7 :7 Tricia

I read recently that the best way to make sure the ball is filled right is to measure up your wall 55 or 65cm, maybe put a piece of tape there and place the ball next to it. The highest point of the ball should be at that mark, since it's by actual size not air pressure. I had a 65cm ball that looked about the same size as what Cathe's group uses, but it lost air every single time. So I just bought another 65cm and it definately looks much smaller to me. I'm going to do the wall measure trick to see.

Hi, When i recieved my 55cm ball it said to mark 21.5 inches on the wall and take a yard stick place it on the ball as it is blowing up and when the yard stick gets to the line it would be fully inflated. But when i did that the ball started getting pretty tight at about 17.5 inches. I did wait a day and tried to blow it up allittle more but the ball is still not up to the 21.5 inch mark. its probably up to the 19" mark now. I might try again to add more air after a few days if the ball seems to have streached out some. I just don't want to pop it. Tricia:+ :+ :7

Try filling it with and air compressor. It makes all the
difference. It's impossible to fill it with a regular pump.
It's also easier to balance on a fully filled ball. Just
make sure to have a tape measure so you don't over fill it.
:7

Re: air compressor

I actually have an air compressor (a portable one that my jock sons use for soccer balls and basketballs, air mattresses, etc.) I used it to blow up my 55 cm ball, waited a day for the ball to stretch, added more air, waited a day, added a bit more air and thought I had hit the ball's limit. But, like many of us, I kept thinking the dang thing looked and felt too small.

So one day I took it down to the gas station at the corner (a full-service station) and asked the attendant to see if he could get more air into it with his air compressor -- which, of course, was like the mother of all air compressors. The guy was happy to help although I suspect he was secretly doing a little eye-rolling. You would not believe how much more air the ball held. I mean, it's half again the size I'd gotten it to be. I've had it now for about 4 or 5 months and it's still holding.

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it. ;)

http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport003.gif Kathy S.

RE: Re: air compressor

Hi gals, I don't have an air compressor but i do have an electric air pump that i got to blow up pool floaties, rafts, intertubes etc. it really blows things up fast. I will probably try to put allittle more are in my ball tonight. Thanks again for your responses Tricia:7

One stability ball I bought recommends filling it only about 3/4 of the way full, then letting it sit for 24 hours before filling the rest of the way. This may just be because it is a sturdy, burst resistant ball, and the material needs time to stretch out, but I've seen this recommendation refer to other balls as well, stating that the material might weaken if it is blown up all at once (excuse any incoherency in this post, as I just got done teaching the last class of the day and I'm pooped!~)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.