Ankle injury need strengthening exercises

HPLECTRA

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Do you have any recommendations for strengthening the ankle area after an injury?
Thank you so much for any help that you can provide. :)

Heidi

strenghtening the quads doing 1 legged squats. also strengthen calves doing one leg at a time. when i could finally start walking normal,no tiny tiny baby steps,i found that walking is an excellent excersise to strengh the legs.kb helps,too.

laura

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the advice. ;)

How long did it take for the swelling and pain to go away for you?

Take care,
Heidi

i had surgery from a torn tendon.it took me almost a year to get my strength back.now i am back to excersising and i have started running/walking on the treadmill. my job is sales floor so that helped too.
good luck!

laura

Hi Laura,

Luckily I didn't tear a tendon or as I found out today it is not fractured. Phew!
I guess my doc suggests physical therapy at this point.

Thanks again!
Heidi

To strengthen your ankle you need to work it in all directions against mild resistance.

So use an elastic band of some sort (a resistance band works well) and loop it one full time around the ball of the foot (have a shoe on) and pull the band ends up in each hand as if you are holding reigns. Now pull the band with the right hand to the right side and use the muscles in the foot/ankle to resist and pull foot in the opposite direction. You are going to want to do this pull/resist to the same foot but go the other direction. After you did both sides you will want to use this same philosophy to resist in a forward backward motion.

Another great ankle strengthener as well as improve coordination, improve balance, and increase mobility is to work on a wobble board allowing one leg at a time to rotate in all directions. Balance is challenged on his one so be sure you are near a wall to help with balance if needed.

Good Luck!

Hi Cathe,

Do you have any recommendations for strengthening the ankle area after an injury?
Thank you so much for any help that you can provide. :)

Heidi

What Cathe said - was exactly what they had me doing in physical therapy when I injured my ankle. They gave me a band to do those exercises at home as well. For me the ankle injury took the longest to heal - after a year, I still don't feel that I have the same strength or mobility as in my other foot, but it has not hindered me in my exercise. Good Luck.

Hello Cathe and twosquared,

Thanks for the suggestions I truly appreciate it. :)

Cathe: Those are fantastic exercises and I hope to get back to your step workouts and running soon!

Take care,
Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.