An I just rant about oil prices?

Wow! I thought that paying $1100 for a year's worth of oil was bad and we heat a 2400 sq ft house, we do turn it off at night however. I haven't checked oil prices since last summer when we filled the tank. I hope I'm not in for a worse surprise. I think it was 2.69/gallon last summer.

We've been thinking about solar panels as well. Rebates in Oregon would cover a substantial portion. What I'm worried about is the property taxes going up for such an improvement. For now there is a law in place that says they won't raise them for going solar, but that expires in 2012. Property taxes in my area are extremely high and we really can't afford to have them increase any faster than they already are.

Everything is going up--oil, gas, food, electricity, property taxes....x( We are cutting back as much as possible...

Maggie:)

OUr area uses natural gas- I think that's different than oil. OUr house is about 4000 sq feet (3 stories) and costs about $350/month to heat in the winter. It's a brick house, so it kind of functions like a pizza oven and stays warm in winter. We also have new windows and they are 8 feet tall so lots of sun heats the place naturally.

PRICE OF GAS AROUND THE WORLD
Prices are quoted in US dollars per gallon for regular unleaded.

Oslo , Norway
$6.82

Hong Kong
$6.25

Brussels , Belgium
$6.16

London , UK
$5.96

Rome , Italy
$5.80

Tokyo , Japan
$5.25

Sao Paulo , Brazil
$4.42

New Delhi , India
$3.71

Sidney , Australia
$3.42

Johannesburg , South Africa
$3.39

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
$3.22

Mexico City
$2.22

Buenos Aires , Argentina
$2.09
...YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS...

Riyadh , Saudi Arabia
$0.91

Kuwait
$0.78

Caracas , Venezuela
$0.12

>PRICE OF GAS AROUND THE WORLD
>Prices are quoted in US dollars per gallon for regular
>unleaded.
>
>
>
>Oslo , Norway
>$6.82
>
>Hong Kong
>$6.25
>
>Brussels , Belgium
>$6.16
>
>London , UK
>$5.96
>
>Rome , Italy
>$5.80
>
>Tokyo , Japan
>$5.25
>
>Sao Paulo , Brazil
>$4.42
>
>New Delhi , India
>$3.71
>
>Sidney , Australia
>$3.42
>
>Johannesburg , South Africa
>$3.39
>
>Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
>$3.22
>
>Mexico City
>$2.22
>
>Buenos Aires , Argentina
>$2.09
>...YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS...
>
>Riyadh , Saudi Arabia
>$0.91
>
>Kuwait
>$0.78
>
>Caracas , Venezuela
>$0.12
>
UK price is wrong. It is closer to $10 a gallon. UK/USA gallons are different in measurements. The price of crude oil closed last evening at $117 a barrel. I am a UK resident and fill my car. The price if a litre of petrol is £1.07 per gallon. there is 4+ litres to the UK gallon. The USA gallon is a different measurement to the UK gallon. This is very common in mosy USA/UK measurements. Whereveer you got this information they were way off for the UK. However, you are very welcome to fly over the pond and fill up a car to experience the painful pleasure of filling a car up in the UK. Your prices are CHEAP. You are lucky to live in the USA.

We ARE lucky to live in the USA! I sure as h*ll don't want to live in Venezuela for just for their cheap gas. I would rather ride my bike to work everyday and wear 50 layers of clothes to bed at night to stay warm (and it looks like that might just start happening). I just think we Americans are frustrated right now over energy costs and we aren't used to not being able to find a solution to this problem.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.