Amy Bento's Slo Mo

acatalina

Cathlete
I did a total body premix today..
Input please.
Alot of the exercises seemed to bother my lower back..It was aching..
I have never had this problem with Cathe's Weight workouts..Even going heavy..
Is it just me or maybe a different approach to lifting..
Think i will get used to it, or maybe not worth the risk.
I like the change up with different instructors..
Keeps things fresh.
Maybe i am just so darn used to Cathe..
Tracy's didn't bother me.. The ab one about kills me, but in a good way..

www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Anne
AKA
Storm

I think that Amy's Challenge series is very difficult. I think you should use much lighter weights to get your form down and work your way up to heavier weights. This is a very different approach compared to Cathe. I did the Slow Mo Legs yesterday and I love that my butt cheeks, thighs, thutt area are perfectly sore today. This works my lower body in a completely different way than anything else that I own. My forearms and back were definitely taxed but I know that will improve in time. I also love her cardio choreography. I love it but only you know if it's right for you. Again, this is one that some may need to start out using no to very light weights to get the form down than progress to heavier weights. HTH!!! If you don't like I'm sure you can make a very decent trade with these. I have not done the upper body work yet.
Angela:7

I agree that you need much lighter weights with Amy's new series. I tried legs with heavy weights and I had DOMS for 3 days.

I have these but have not done them yet, be sure to keep your core tight,I know that doing certain exercises, I need to tighten up my core to protect my back. My core is still not as strong as I would like. So I have to be mindful of this while I am lifting weights.

I did the Leg workout yesterday, and I agree with others that I went too heavy for the first try. I felt it in my back and my knees while doing some of the moves. I can feel it in my legs this morning but not that bad. I will be much more careful next time.. there was one move ( don't remember which it was) that I looked at and said,"no not for me" and skipped it all together. x(

I am looking forward to the upper body ones.

Deb

I haven't done these workouts, but if you are referring to back pain with squats, you may be 'leaning' forward too much during the squat. You may want to focus on keeping the body upright. Even though it may feel like your form is perfect, something might be a little 'off' resulting in back strain. I recently had to change my squat form because of lower back pain. My husband (a PT) watched my form and let me know I had too much hip flexion during the squat. I had to let my knees go over my toes a little to get better hip form (which can be more important than knee form for some). The minute I changed my form, the pain in my back stopped.

HTH
Carolyn

I agree on the form being very important. Some of the squats she does are hard to keep good form, like when you are holding one dumbbell in front of your legs and squatting, or when she has you do that rocking thing with your toes! Some of these excercises may not be safe for anyone with back problems, regardless of how good you try to keep your form.

Deb

You know it is probably the holdong of the dumbell or barbell in the front. I did lighten up a good bit..I only used 8# on the rockin squats which to me is light.8# on the 1 legged.
My legs do not hurt at all today, so i could not have gone that heavy.
I did the sumo's with 40#. Not sure i care for them as an exercise.
I can do Cathe's GS legs with 60# and no problem and Plea with 40..
(example)..I mostly always put the barbell on my shoulders even with plea. I can handle more this way without problems..

I am just concerned that i was feeling so much tension in my back where as i normally don't.
It also could just be a great big difference in training .I am not going to give on it yet...

www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Anne
AKA
Storm

I did the legs split and back and shoulder split.
the legs really bothered my back also. I went down in weight and really tried to focus on my form. But my back was aching and I thought my legs could have used heavier weight but didn't dare. Now I can match Cathe pound for pound on back exercises and go heavier on legs, work it hard and never have problems with my back. these exercises really agitated my back. Also after awhile the legs seemed boring to me.
The back exercises were just ok. did not care for the one arm pullover type exercise. I did like the shoulder work though. they feel nice and toasty still.
All in all I'm not too impressed (please don't flame I know there are alot of Amy fans JMHO)
Tomorrow I'll do the rest of the work out. But this one may get traded....
The hi lo dome looks interesting on preview any one else do that one?
Jen

> Now I can match Cathe pound for pound on back
>exercises and go heavier on legs, work it hard and never have
>problems with my back.

I find that Cathe often goes fairly light in back work. I can sometimes lift quite a bit more than she does on back exercises (especially pullover and two-arm rows), so Amy's work might hit the back more. (Amy also has said that she's been working out with kettlebells for a while, and kettlebell training--especially w/swings--increases strength-endurance of the back muscles in a way that regular weight training doesn't. Maybe she's not feeling the back stress because of this?)

Are those of you feeling back discomfort feeling it during the exercises or after? One thing I notice in Amy's workouts: she often doesn't bend her knees much when picking up and putting down weights, which can mean she's lifting the weight more with her back, which can cause problems, especially if you don't tense your core when doing so, and you are not paying as much attention (as one might not be when 'just' picking up or putting down a weight to use).

I was feeling it during the exercises and I really concentrated/focused on my form because I was feeling it. I use 30lbs weights in Cathe's 4 day split (rows) and it doesn't hurt my back. The sumo squats, the jefferson squats and the cradle lunges all bothered me. I did not mind the hack squats( I like the straight forward hack squats not the wobble part) my back felt fine with those.
Also I always bend my knees when picking up weights, kind of a no -brainer. May be these exercises are not for me. At 42 I do not have any back problems and I don't want to start now.
Anyone with back issues may want to steer clear of the leg portion of this workout.
Jen

> The sumo squats, the jefferson
>squats and the cradle lunges all bothered me.

I can see how those could cause back stress: one really has to keep the core engaged throughout these,IMO, and make sure not to round the back at all (especially on the Jefferson squats, where it would be easier to do).

Well, I've now completed each split, including abs, from Amy's Slow Mo. Tough series!!! I have to say that good form and a strong core are VERY necessary for Slow Mo. I was able to match the suggested weights (not that that's necessary, but when I'm first doing a new workout I like to try and match the instructor then adjust and move down if I need to) but I did have to go down in weight for a few exercises. I like Amy's weight work with a twist, but not everyone will like it. She has definitely proven that you can be creative and somewhat innovative even with a db and bb! To borrow from another poster on another thread, I am "delightfully sore" from Slow Mo. Yesterday was back, shoulders, and core. I did not feel that I was working my back all that hard but today my back is letting me know (in a good way) that it HAS been worked. For the last exercise for back, standing shrugs, I did the first set as a standing shrug, the second set I performed as an overhand row, and the last set I performed as an underhand row. I could really feel my back working for this last set of exercises with that slow count (I believe it's 4 count up, 4 count down, then 2 count up, hold 2, 4 count down for most of the back work). The shoulder section was tough! My shoulders were screaming. I had to use less weight for many of the exercises in shoulders. I loved the staggered push ups for the chest. I noticed that hand placement had a big effect on where I felt the push up so play around with that until you are comfortable in your hand position and can feel it working your chest. I liked the contraction concentration bicep curls...it really made you have good form and made it very hard to cheat and swing the bb. I will have to do the core section again as I don't know that I loved this for my core. I don't feel my core was worked the way I like it to be worked but it's not like I have a six pack or anything anway, so the key for me is to one day watch my diet and to keep burning some fat! Legs is my favorite of the splits! It is very different and I felt tight and sore in my cheeks, thutt, and other areas of my lower body that just usually don't get worked enough to produce soreness (some of the exercies were tough on the hands and again a strong core is key). I feel this will be a very effective weight series for me (IF I can give up m&m's...darrnit)!

For those wanting a comparison to Slow & Heavy...they are really nothing alike at all. Slow & Heavy is straight up traditional weight training. Slow Mo is traditional with a twist. There are some exercises where I will be able to go as heavy as I do in S&H and some where I will not. I have not had DOMS like this in a while, but again, it's that nice, really worked out DOMS (is the next morning considered DOMS?). I feel like my entire body has been worked out in a "new" way. I love it when a workout makes me sore as I find that even a new workout does not usually give me DOMS the way a new workout used to (I'm thinking that's a good thing and just means I'm more in shape than I used to be) and I'm enjoying that "worked out" feeling!
Angela

I have to agree with Angela. Slo Mo Legs is nothing like S&H Legs. I don't do S&H Legs anymore and usually don't like to go heavy with legs but Amy's stuff was so different, I had to give it a try. You really have to have good form with Slo Mo. My back felt taxed as well but I'm definitely feeling things in my glute/thutt area. The single leg rock up squat was the hardest for me. I barely got my butt off the ball for any of them. I did notice though that a couple of the background exercisers had only their toes on the ground instead of the whole foot and when I tried it that way, things were definitely easier although still very challenging. I really liked the Hammy Rockers and the Glute Wrap. Amy's exercises definitely need a strong core and good balance. I might have to go a little lighter with the Jefferson Squats (I used 25# like Amy) because my arm felt like it was going to fall off but my legs were okay.

I've only done Legs so far but am really looking forward to doing the rest of the series. The core work looked interesting. I'm glad she included standing ab work as well.

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.