Amy Bento step

bearcatfan

Cathlete
Hey there,

I got Advanced Step Challenge in a trade and wondered how it compared to other instructors. I've reached the point where I can get Cathe and Christi on the first try, and find Kari Anderson pretty basic in choreo. My favorite step ever is the second stage of Step Heaven. Will I be able to catch onto this one?

Hi,

Yes you should be able to get Amy's step eventually. I don't think her cuing is as good as Christi (I don't really consider Cathe ultra complex choreographically---JMHO!) but the moves are definitely do-able. She does do a preview section where she demonstrates the moves separately. The last one that I got down was the crazy shuffle, and actually I only got it when I did the Tracy Staehle DVD that contains the same move.

If you like complex choreography you may want to try Patrick Goudeau as well (and the Tracy Staehle High Intensity Step Mix that she just released).

HTH,
Leslie

I was pretty much up to speed with the Amy step video the 3rd time I did it. The first time through though I spent quite a bit of time rewinding! Although she says the combos are not broken down, some of them ARE broken down somewhat and it's a little confusing at first figuring how she's breaking them down, i.e., when is she going to add the second little part on when you're working the other side. Her cuing is generally pretty good, IMHO, but sometimes she does forget to cue or is talking about something else, which is frustrating. I also wish the first combo had not been off the front of the step, it's not a good way to start out. But considering this was her first batch of videos ever, I think she's very good, the whole video is much better than the majority of instructors with more experience.

It's also a nice change that there's no TIFTING, you just do one combo at a time then move to the next. I really LOVE this video, it gives me a very intense workout, but it somehow doesn't feel that intense (as opposed to IMAXes which always feel very intenst to me), I guess with Amy I'm concentrating on the moves so much I don't realize how much aerobic work I'm doing. I really love Amy, some instructors you just click with and Amy is one of them for me. You'll master the steps pretty quickly, the little training bit she does (one of the DVD options) is very helpful. Good luck!

I sort of had the opposite opinion of Amy. The constant "whooping" drove me a little crazy and the production value was not great. I really liked some of the combos and didn't mind the fast pace in which she presented them but thought the workout was too short for the $$.
There is an add on section (some sort of challenge, not sure what she called it) that was good but also a little dangerous IMO.

Overall, I give it a C+ as a workout but I see some potential with her. If she could get her whooping under control, I think she could put out some really good stuff.

Carolyn

>I sort of had the opposite opinion of Amy. The constant
>"whooping" drove me a little crazy and the production value
>was not great. I really liked some of the combos and didn't
>mind the fast pace in which she presented them but thought the
>workout was too short for the $$.
>There is an add on section (some sort of challenge, not sure
>what she called it) that was good but also a little dangerous
>IMO.
>
>Overall, I give it a C+ as a workout but I see some potential
>with her. If she could get her whooping under control, I think
>she could put out some really good stuff.
>
>Carolyn
>
>
This workout keeps my heartrate up there. The "challenge" add on is the best part, IMO. And, I am curious to know which part of it is dangerous.

Michelle

If I remember correctly, she has you jumping over the step in a side to side motion. I could do a few of these and probably could work my way up to doing all of them but they seemed like a major injury waiting to happen. This was an intense move that to me, bordered on dangerous.

I really like Amy. I think for her first set of videos she did a really good job and will only get better. Advanced Step Challenge is intense and the choreography is complex. I practised it a few times before I used it as a full workout.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.