Alternative to heavy dumbbells?

pookpack

Advice needed! My dumbbells are not heavy enough for doing horizontal back rows anymore, especially in phase 3 of STS. I looked into getting more dumbbells but they are very expensive at those weights. I'm wondering if you all think doing a landmine barbell row (sometimes called a t-bar row) would be a good substitute. I already have a barbell and a lot of weight plates, so I wouldn't need to buy a bunch of new, expensive stuff for this option. image_iphone.jpg

Yes, Cathe does a similar exercise in Pure Strength except she straddles the bar (calls it a T-bar row). I don't have a landmine anchor so found it difficult as I increased the weight because the rear end isn't secure. I tried various ways to anchor it with weight plates and a step riser, but a wall anchor would be best. So if you can anchor it safely, I think it's a good option!

So you got me thinking ... our dumbells are getting too light also for some lifts & I've put off buying heavier due to the cost. But an anchor can be had for much less & will increase my lifting options with the barbells & plates ... including for squats without having to put the barbell on my back. So I have one in my cart at Amazon ... I'll be thinking on this for a little while first ... Thanks for the idea!

Yes, Cathe does a similar exercise in Pure Strength except she straddles the bar (calls it a T-bar row). I don't have a landmine anchor so found it difficult as I increased the weight because the rear end isn't secure. I tried various ways to anchor it with weight plates and a step riser, but a wall anchor would be best. So if you can anchor it safely, I think it's a good option!
Yes! I think it will also be good for those plyo squats where she puts the dumbbells down on the floor and picks them back up - I can't do that with a barbell on my back, but I can do them like this with the bar between your legs and standing perpendicular across it!

Yes! I think it will also be good for those plyo squats where she puts the dumbbells down on the floor and picks them back up - I can't do that with a barbell on my back, but I can do them like this with the bar between your legs and standing perpendicular across it!
Great idea! And I'm thinking it may work for those cossack squats where she swivels the hips side to side , if the bar has one of those anchors that swivels 360 degrees or is placed in a corner. Hmmm, more options to think about ...

Here are a ton of ideas for how to use the landmine attachment and how to rig one up if you don't want to buy one. I ordered one today and it's on its way! I think this will help with a lot of moves I've outgrown dumbbells for!

Thanks for the link! That was informative. I've been looking at the options for how to set it up. Looks like there are a variety ways to get a full-body workout with the barbell & plates. Please let us know how it works out once you've used it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.