Age and working out

T

tweety2

I was just wondering about the ages of everyone out there doing Cathe's high intensity step videos. I'm going to be 35 in a couple of months and I was wondering if it's okay to do such high intensity jumps and leaps, such as those in Interval Max. I've been doing step for about 8 years and haven't had any major injuries beyond the occasional sore knee. Just curious about the age group of all you folks out there!!!!

P.S. Does anyone know how old Cathe is????

age and fitness

I am going to be 48 in December and I do ALL of Cathe's tapes at 8" step height. I do wear knee braces and have an orthotic lift in my shoes, but otherwise--Body max,which is the toughest, MIS, MIC, all of PS and all of the step tapes are well within my range. I can even do Interval Max. At 35, (I wish) you should have no worries, but each person is unique in terms of strength, experience and history.

35!

Hi "tweety 2"! I just turned 35 in July. In my opinion, I wouldn't let your age be the determining factor as to whether you should leap or jump or do high intensity. I would focus more on your fitness level, experience, ability, and genetic makeup. Being that you have eight years experience under your belt, I think that you would do well with Intervalmax as long as you introduced your body to this workout at a gradual pace. Too much too soon of any kind of workout is hard on the muscles, joints, and ligaments. If perhaps you are considering doing Intervalmax, I would say to start by just doing the first five intervals at a modified pace for the first three weeks(at just once a week). Then I would try to do the first five intervals all out for the next three weeks(again, one time per week). Then I would continue to do the workout one time per week(maximum two)and start to add one extra interval on every couple of times you do the workout. Eventually you will have experienced all 10 intervals while acclimating your body to this aggressive workout at the same time. After you have made it through all 10 intervals, you will be conditioned to do the workout all out all the time(but still always modify the workout whenever needed). I think I gave you a little more information than you asked for, but in any case, I hope it helped to answer any further questions you may have had. Good Luck!

Just turned 40 and still stepping!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-99 AT 09:56AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi! My birthday last month officially took me out of the thirty-something group and into the 40-something group! I've been doing Cathe's videos for years and have no knee problems whatsoever. Since I'm 5'2", I do use a 6 inch step but I also run which I understand is supposed to be hard on some people's knees. However, no trouble for me yet. (I've got my fingers crossed that it'll stay that way )

Bev

40!

I just turned 40 last week. I've been working out to step tapes since I was 33, and only added Cathe's stuff in the last year. I love working harder, although I still use a 6 inch step for Interval Max, Body Max and the really intricate choreography tapes, like Step Works. I use an 8 inch step for tapes like Step Max and MegaStep Blast. I am 5'9", but feel more comfortable on a low step when I'm moving around really quickly. I have no problems yet, and I try to run twice a week, if possible.

I'm sure I will get a lot of grief for this, but I do all step with barefeet. I feel lighter and quicker, and have never had any foot problems. I use shoes for running, because of course, I might step on something dangerous. I even do MIC in barefeet, and I'm sure lots of people will think I'm nuts, but it works for me.

Sandi M.

Modifications.....

Hi Cathe,

I hope you are feeling great, and I'm looking forward to your next videos! I would like to suggest that maybe you could have someone in the videos doing modified versions of the high impact moves? I am 35 weeks pregnant, and the high impact stuff has just been too uncomfortable for quite a while now, but I love the videos, and I would rather modify than switch. (Although, unfortunately, I am not too creative at modifying!) Plus, lots of people just cannot do high impact every day anyway.

take care!

- Connie

Turning 53 in October

We just did a similar post on VF. It's just fantastic how we keep going - like energizer bunnys. I excercise more now than any time in my life. My goal is to protect my bones by giving them really strong muscles to hold up! (I think that's how it works, isn't it Cathe?) I also like posting my age in hopes of being an inspiration to just one person.

I have all Cathe's except three. I'm 4'11 so I keep my step height 4-6 inches. In Body Max I have to modify some of it, but I manage to get through it.
I can't pick a favorite Cathe tape, I just line them up and go down the row.

You are inspiring!!!

I wanted to post over at VF, but though it was off topic and I didn't want to change the reason for the initial message.

I am truly inspired by those of you who are 50 and still exercising. I am 27 and truly hope that I have instilled fitness as a life-long habit. It is so great to hear of your dedication and success stories.

Keep it up!!

Just turned 42 in July

I've been an on & off exerciser for years. It wasn't until I got into STEP aerobics that I've kept to working out for more than 6 weeks at a time. Step is definitely the way to go for me -- I love it! It got even better when I bought my first Cathe tape in July. Cathe's tapes are terrific; inspiring, motivating and just down right FUN!

I do have a knee that I baby from time to time, but on those days, I just take out the power moves & sometimes lower my step. I've also noticed my legs seem stronger & the power moves don't bother me as much as when I first started.

I plan to be centenarian & exercise is a key factor to that goal! I'm hoping Cathe will be making new vids way into her 90's!

I'M ALMOST 45!

Hi Everyone!

I'm going to turn 45 soon and I do most of Cathe's tapes! I feel great!!!

Never Too Old!

Just turned 32 in August and have never been in better shape or working harder! After reading about the intensity level on the newer Cathe tapes--IntervalMax, Body Max and the PS series I can't wait for payday! Ready to turn up the heat with some new challenges and get this body FINE tuned!!Look out world here we come!

Interval Max

Hi Cathe!! Thanks for your response! Cool that we're about the same age... As for your advice on Interval Max....unfortunately it's too late! I did it for the first time last week and of course, I did the whole tape (trying to be Superwoman like you!! lol) and the next day (well, 2 days!!) I felt like HELL. Like I'd been hit by a truck. But I liked it, I have to say!! Kinda like it "hurt so good"!!! I did it again this week and modified some of the intervals. That was much better. I felt fine the next day. I love your tapes and I intend to use them until my body tells me I can't anymore, cuz I love my workouts!! Sometimes they are all that keeps me sane, I think!!! (smile) I hope everything is going well with your pregnancy, and keep up the GREAT work with your workout videos!!

42 and going strong!

Hi tweety2!

I didn't "discover" Cathe until last year - at the ripe old age of 41 and even though I do have to baby my knees I *still* get so much out her tapes. I modify moves when I need to, try not to do high impact step two days in a row and let me tell you - it works! I'm in better shape fitness wise (and strength wise) than I've ever been. The only section of a Cathe tape I don't do is the hi impact on MIC. I even do Interval Max although I generally use the modifications and in a few cases (like the dreaded interval #10) I make up my own interval moves. I *still* get a great interval workout.

In short, go for it, whether you are 35, 45, 55, whatever!

Judy

47!!!

I'm 47 and I didn't start working out until I was in my 30's. One of the first videos I started with was Cathe's Step In Motion. I love step! I have also added strength training to my workouts because I received a low-normal bone density report - and I really enjoy that also! I love how all this exercising makes me feel! (and look!)

Marsha

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to say that. It is very much appreciated. Stay strong!!

Never too old

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-99 AT 12:08PM (EST)</font></center>

I started working out when I was 40, and started right off the bat with heavy weight training. I didn't know any better, never had any preconceived notions about whether it was "feminine" or not, I just did it. I'm now 49 and holding.

I do the PS Legs and Abs tape with a 56 lb. barbell, and am nearly maxed out on the leg press machine at the Y. I don't intend to slow down at all. I wear a size 6, something I would have only dreamed about when I was kid of, say 35!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi Tweety2! I'm 45 years old and still going strong. I've been working out for 15 years now and yes I do Cathe's Interval Max with all her leaps and jumps right along w/her. You will too. Keep up all your good work! My best to you, Kathy

I'm 46; mom is 69!

Well I'm 46, I have all of Cathe's videos (except Step n Motion I - I used to have it though), and I do all her tapes and propulsion moves. I do admit that I moved to a 6" step a couple of months ago 'cause my knee was bothering me, but it seems to be okay now so I'm going back up to 8". My mom, who doesn't do videos but does exercise, swims daily and does an hour-long step class (immediately after her swim) 3 times per week. I HATE making concessions to age. As long as I can do it and my body is not screaming to stop, I will. Even if I'm 99.
Barbara P

Hey Barbara!

Barbara,
I deliver meals to the elderly during my lunch hour on Fridays. One lady is 91 and on a walker because her bones are so brittle they keep breaking. Recently, she cried and told me that she never was thankful for the gift of her mobility -- until it was taken from her.

I thank God that I am healthy, almost 45, and have use of my legs. I never use elevators and don't mind remote parking places. I am blessed!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.