AFAA Test Question

Clarissa

Cathlete
Hi! I am new to posting on the Cathe site but have been a lurker for awhile! Huge Cathe fan!
Anyway, I have my personal trainer test coming up in 3 weeks...anyone taken the AFAA test? How difficult is it? What should I expect - especially from the National Board of Fitness Examiners functional part of the test? I am nervous...Thanks! :)

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to tell you good luck.

Jennie.

Live like you were dying.

:)

Hi - I took my AFAA PT test in July '06. I opted for the weekend workshop (which consists of Friday/Saturay/Sunday for review and the exam late on Sunday...however, I think they offer the online test now...??), and since I don't have a formal science background, I was quite nervous.

However, I've been teaching fitness since '99, so I was hoping that would give me enough padding to understand some of the movement fundamentals (flexion, rotation, etc. -- some are common sense, but some can be quite tricky). And, along with my background in fitness and the weekend workshop for review, I passed.

My group had a great leader/presenter (and I've never met a presenter who was not enthusiastic about his/her job, so you'll probably be fine!), and he was sensitive to the group's questions and apprehension over certain subjects. So, he was thorough and very helpful.

So, if you have a presenter, although I don't know your background, if you have been involved in fitness (i.e. doing Cathe vids!), you should be fine. Just ask lots of questions if you need. Some of the questions on the written portion are ridiculously easy, some are quite tricky. Of course, the practical portion was very easy, especially if you have decent communication skills -- just talk and show.

If you are opting for the online version, I wish you luck b/c that's not my area of experience.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions!

Good luck.
:)

Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes! I am doing the workshop also - not online! I have studied so hard. I may email you later this week about the practical portion b/c I don't understand what to expect! Thanks again :)

If you read the handbook that came with the study materials, you will be fine.

Personally, I thought the test/workshop was ridiculously easy.

Clarissa -

Honestly, if you just read the handbook you'll be fine. A woman I befriended ALMOST passed the test and she didn't even open the book.

Also, the people at the workshop pretty much tell you what areas to concentrate on for the test.

And, some answers you will know because of your exercise background and the things you learn just by doing Cathe's workouts.

Okay - I am pretty excited now! :) Maybe I can start early on my marketing plan instead of spending hours (yes hours)that I don't even really have to spare per night studying! Thanks :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.