Advice for instructing a rude class....

I would just like to add in that nude aerobics is a reality in some places. There were some classes in NYC when I lived there. No, I did not attend. I don't want to watch anyone else's business flappin' and slappin' around.

Sparrow, fully clothed.

:)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

>I would just like to add in that nude aerobics is a reality
>in some places. There were some classes in NYC when I lived
>there. No, I did not attend. I don't want to watch anyone
>else's business flappin' and slappin' around.
>
>Sparrow, fully clothed.
>

Good god, Sparrow! Tell me you are joking! I am trying to imagine what could possibly be the benefit of doing aerobics... or any form of exercise (just think of some of the positions you get into!) in the nude. Were they just looking to be hanging to the floor before the age of 30??? LOL

Marie

I kid you not. :D

If I remember it was not high impact:p And there was some yoga-y things mixed in as well, which sounds like it should be more acceptable somehow, but isn't. Can you imagine downward dog in THAT class?!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

>I kid you not. :D
>
>If I remember it was not high impact:p And there was some
>yoga-y things mixed in as well, which sounds like it should be
>more acceptable somehow, but isn't. Can you imagine downward
>dog in THAT class?!
>

HAH! I just spit coffee onto my keyboard!! (And recently I just posted how gross some of those nasty dirty feet are in various pilates videos, where the participants clearly don't realize you can see everything. heheheheh)

I do hope this works itself into some script or other of yours!

Marie

> Can you imagine downward >dog in THAT class?!

:eek: ((((shudder))))Note to self, pick which threads to open carefully when eating lunch:+

Take Care
Laurie:)

OMG, ROTFLMHO at the thought of these ^^^ "nude things" and I'm about to lose my afternoon snack. Sparrow, really, nude aerobics, no support, OUCH!

>I would just like to add in that nude aerobics is a reality
>in some places. There were some classes in NYC when I lived
>there. No, I did not attend. I don't want to watch anyone
>else's business flappin' and slappin' around.
>

I bet that room had a nasty stinky odor to. Yuck!

OMG you guys are too gross!!!

Carolyn, I'm glad you're feeling good about the way you handled the situation. Have you discussed your success with your boss or the usual instructor?? I hope so- they both need to know about that class, how you handled the sticky situation, and how they can support you and/or other subs in the future!!!

I just have to chime in, because I think you are a very courageous person and I'm glad you aren't backing down. I witnessed this years ago when I belonged to a club. It was extremely cliquey and several members were also very rude to the sub instructor. She literally stopped in the middle of class, turned off the music and said, "you are more rude and immature than a bunch of kindrgarteners and if you are dissatisfied with the class please leave." Most of us clapped for her. After that they were much better. They next evening the Club Manager made an announcement that rude comments are not allowed and they would be asked to leave the club if it continued. So, I think your boss should step up to the plate. Good Luck!

Carolyn,

I'm reading this post kind of late, so I'm sure you already handled your self with grace and style. I'm wondering how it went for you.

I just wanted to add that I can so relate to this, and I give you so much credit for continuing to sub. I subbed for an instructor at my gym who also teaches the same thing every week. Well, when any instructor even walks in the class and announces that she is a sub, people walk out...and this is okay!

When I sub a class, I am normally familiar with the intructor's routines, and I do try to incorporate my Step routines so that it is the same bpm as the original class. With that beign said, YOU KNOW as an instructor that we cannot please everyone. As long as you were teaching at the posted level of the class, I wouldn't worry too much. The people who are, IMO, in a rut and don't like challenges will always be unhappy. And, as you experienced, there will be some that are happy for the new challenges.

I know it's hard to deal with the rudeness!! When people are talking and being disruptive in my class, I normally make a point to stare at them, and that normally works. I have a friend who actually went up to some disruptive people in her class, during a water break, and said please keep it down...this is MY show...haha. It did shut them up.

It's amazing to me that people are rude when there are subs for classes. You would think they would be happy that someone is subbing so that the class is not cancelled and they can still get a workout. But, is a workout what they truly want? Sometimes, I'm not so sure myself.

We've all been there. It is tough to deal with but you know you are not alone!!

If you get a chance, let us know how you made out?

Hello again all!
Lisaannjam, fab40, and AmyG - How sweet of you all to wonder about me!:)
The class went much better this time. I walked in the room with a good attitude and I was ready to face the worst. I think they saw right away that they were not going to get away with complaining. It did help that 8 people didn't show up because I think most of them were part of the "rude crew". I'm now actually confident enough to sub for that class again. It was a good test for me to remain calm and kind under pressure and I think it helps me to be a better instructor overall. I'm also ready to say something to people if I find this rudeness going on again. It was truly unacceptable behavior and I did feel like I was trying to instruct a bunch of children.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragment. I love hearing stories from other instructors about this stuff. It's really hard to get up in front of a group of people, teach them moves, keep them motivated, stay on count, tell them whats coming up, all while exercising yourself. I always keep that in mind when I'm attending other people's classes and I just hope people don't forget that when I'm up there.:)

Carolyn

So happy to hear it went better! Good for you. Dealing with these situations is unfortunately part of being an instructor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.