adult acne

RE: Aldactone/Spironolactone

Ah, yes! I have heard of that one, too. My doc mentioned it, but we tried other avenues instead. The Retin-A is expensive, too - my insurance balked at first, but they agreed to cover a one-year scrip. Out of pocket, it would have been $500!

Cathy

I've tried it all, including proactiv, over the counters, and a number of prescription drugs...and am currently on Differin, which nobody has mentioned. It seems to work pretty well. I was on it a while ago, and had ok results. This time, I'm using Differin at night and a benzol product in the am. Constantly dry skin is the trade-off, but I'm looking pretty darn good.
I think acne is a personal trial and error battle we each have to work through. And if something stops working, go back to the doctor and get something new--don't keep thinking it'll work!
RAchel

if you want a regimine that is not very spendy but works like nothing else try this:

**Purpose facial bar soap

**Neutrogena's vanishing cream for acne (or something like that name)
it has benzoyl peroxide in it. i've found that for all the hype that is given to salycitic (sp?) acid it doesn't work nearly as well as the benzoyl peroxide.

**Moisurizer

**Bare Minerals make up (ok, so maybe that part is spendy :p )

i'm 35 and have dealt with adult acne forever! even those irritating cysts, but ever since i heard someone talk about this routine, i tried it and have never gone back. seriously. my skin looks great and i'm to the point now where i only use the Neutrogena cream once a day. my skin is oily thus i only moisturize once a day as well.

highly recommend it!

I agree--what works for others might not necessarily work for you. Rather than spend a small fortune trying different products, your absolute best bet is to go to your dermatologist. Good luck!
Cathy :)

>I think acne is a personal trial and error battle we each have
>to work through.

I tried everything for my acne. I had all kinds, including cystic acne. I went to a dermotologist and almost began acutane treatment. Decided against it and continued to suffer for years. A couple of years ago, I trid Paula's Choice skin care. I felt guilty ordering yet another skin care line that I really didn't expect to work. These are the BEST products I have ever used. My skin has cleared up and I actually get compliments on my skin now. I'm still very oily, but the acne stays gone 99% of the time. When I first started using the products my co-workers thought I was pregnant b/c I had such a healthy glow. Yesterday, another co-worker told me my skin looked absolutely flawless and she wanted to know what I was using so she could get some for her daughters. Now, I don't think my sking looks flawless, but it's 100% better. I did a lot of reading on paula's site before deciding on the products for me. www.paulaschoice.com
I consider it a miracle working skin care line....I can't believe the difference in my skin. Good luck!
Angela:7
P.S. I'm 36

I was having problems with acne too until I changed products. Now I use Neutrogena and use the daily scrub every night, it works great. I also use the Neutrogena oil free makeup which has ingredients to help prevent acne. Ever since I switched products my skin has been great.

Hi Everyone,

I can relate to this topic ~ I dealt with skin issues in my high school years and early college - went through years of dermatologist sessions - oral antibiotics, "acne-surgery", then myriad different creams including Retin-A and then Accutane, two different times...then my skin seemed mostly clear and then last year at 36 I was noticing acne again! Very frustrating right when you are starting to deal with anti-aging and then zits come back into your life.

This might sound funny to you ~ but I read recently in a women's magazine that if you are breaking out only around the chin and use a whitening toothpaste, you should go back to a regular toothpaste as the ingredients in the toothpaste - well get into your gums and then the skin around your face etc. I stopped using whitening toothpaste and no longer have the bad bumps on the chin! Go figure.

I agree with others here that you really do have to experiment and RESEARCH to find what works best for you -but knowledge/awareness is key (kind of like figuring out what work out is best for us right, some of us can go heavy on weights and some of us do better with more cardio etc.)

Now I will say up front that I recently became an Arbonne consultant, so I am clearly biased. However, I also can give a nodd to many other products here and talk about some information that is good to know across the board.

For me, I found that Arbonne skin care products worked amazing wonders for both anti-aging (taking away many of the effects of years of sun worship/tanning beds) and also for this sensitive skin, stress acne I seemed to get again.

Before Arbonne, I too had found out about Paula and her books really opened my eyes on how important it is to know about ingredients in cosmetics and skin care. I realized back then how much ALCOHOL was in the products I used; severaly drying. I never tried Paula's products but I hear wonderful things about them and she is amazingly knowledgeable.

**With dermatologists, just avoid the oral antibiotic trap. Acne is a relatively simple condition; over production of sebum in the pores leads to white heads or black heads or even cysts. Once they are visible, the damage is done - and it was begun much earlier. Stress is a huge factor, so are the ingredients in our products. But treating acne with antibiotics is horrible for you long term; pills only kill bacteria temporarily and then you develop a damaged immune system. Many of the OTC stuff even Proactiv (and I do NOT mean to "knock" them, but their ingredients are indeed harsh ones) uses very harsh ingredients that CAN (meaning they won't do this to everyone) severly dry out the skin, which it did to me. I returned my stuff. But I've heard a ton of people that love the product so - just goes to show you, find what works.**

Also don't over scrub your skin like someone else said. Overkill is just as bad as doing nothing. Sometimes it is best to just let your skin breathe. And avoid picking at all costs. As hard as it is to not do it, I've seen such good results at just ignoring a "stress bump" as I call it when it comes along.

Cetaphil is recommended by just about everyone, and I concur.

Lastly for a shameless plug that might help, I have benefited as have many of my friends and colleagues from Arbonne anti-aging products, and we also have a Clear Skin line that treats acne naturally from the inside out. There is a 3-step skin care system used with a natural supplement. My good friend had cystic acne for years and years, tried this solution and has seen a total turnaround. If you'd like to talk to me about this, feel free to email me personally at [email protected]. My website below will show the products also.

Paula's books The Cosmetics Cop and The Beauty Bible are terrific reads on that subject and you'll learn a lot!!!

And I think Bare Escentuals makeup is also wonderful for the skin!!
;-)
Take care,
Kelly
www.kellyg.myarbonne.com

I, too am an Arbonne consultant, though cannot talk about any of their skin CARE products (love the protein skakes and cosmetics, though)...I HAVE noticed that my hormones were making a MAJOR change in my mid-20's (jawline/chin breakouts vs cheek/forhead breakouts)...I know I shouldn't (Arbonne consultant, I know!!), but I use the Clinique 3 step system...

Fast fact...Look at WHERE your breakout is happening, let THAT determine the battle you'll war against it...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.