ADHD med question

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi ladies,

Many of you know that my DS has pretty bad ADHD. We've been using the Daytrana patch for three years now and it has worked great! He started at 10mg and is now at 15mg. Here's the thing- he's having a bit more trouble keeping still in school. We have an appt with his doc for a Med Check to see if we should add something.

Have any of you had this issue and if so, how did you handle it? I'd like med names so I can research it a bit before we meet with the doc.

Yes, we have had an unbelievably stressful year and he is seeing a counselor. I have also noticed his activity level amped up a bit.

Thanks, Cathletes!!
Pam

Sorry no help here, Pam, but just wanted to let you know I'm saying a prayer for you and your dear son. My son struggles with ADD and we had lots of issues with meds. Right now he's off all meds and holding his own (he's almost 14 now). Good luck and (((hugs))) to you...
Paula

My son is in his twenties now

However, he had a bit of AD, and I gave him ritilan once, and he had a terrible reaction. DS is going to graduate in the spring with a double major, a B.S in Finance and a B.S in Accounting. There is always hope, and he still a problem with perception, and he cannot visualize whole words. Last Sunday, I spent all day with him working on a paper, because he is excellent at Math, but not that good with writing. I missed out on a very lucrative personal training session with one of my regulars, though.

Hi - we are here in Canada so I am not sure if the medication names are different. My son was diagnosed at age 7 - and he is currently on Concerta 36 mg. He was on a different one when he first started (which also worked great). I can find out the name if you want to know depending on your son's age. Our doctor told us that is really matter of getting the right dosage. For us medication has been a godsend - he is doing better at school, with friends and is a delight to be around. When he is not medicated - he has alarming outbursts, less able to handle conflict and doesn't seem to recognize boundaries with people. He is extremely creative and able to spend long amounts of time on lego projects, drawing and making his own little inventions with his medicine. Best of luck - don't give up- ADHD is a challenge but certainly not impossible to live with.

Thank you all very much for your advice & help! I'm going to research Concerta. It could very well be that since DS has gotten older and grown, that his current meds are not metabolized as efficiently.

Pam

My son is 15 and was diagnosed with ADD ( no H) during 4th grade. the first meds we tried were Focalin. He started on 5 mg and has progressed up to 15. It has been wonderful. He has never had any be reactions to it. We are lucky that he can skip it on the weekends and holidays.
I teach school and know of some other kids that were ADHD that also took it. Most of them were on 20 mg. They did have trouble at first because for the first two weeks it caused them to start crying now and then. One of them was a freshman boy and needless to say this did not make him happy. But once they got past the first two weeks and as long as they took it everyday, they had no problems.
Medicine can be a wonderful solution but I also know the quest to find the perfect one and the perfect dosage can be a long process.
Good luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.