my daughter. It is hormonal since insomnia was also one of my
pms symptoms. I would always be up all night prior to getting my
period. The problem is that was only 2 nights out of the month
while it was from 6 weeks on with my first pregnancy. Not too much
you can do while pregnant other than the warm baths, warm milk,
yoga, etc but none worked for me and I was up night after night
until the night I gave birth. My sleep was back to normal or as
normal with a newborn.

I tried Acupuncture last night. I didn't know what I was in store for.
I had to lay still for over one hour for the needles to work to
balance my system. I want to believe in it. I really do but last night
I slept so poorly. I know one session is not the cure all and was
told I have to go three concurrent days in order for it to help.
Has anyone tried while pregnant? Or even not being pregnant?
I was told by my mid wife the practice was safe although I did
have to ask my head be elevated due to being placed flat on my
back. It was sort of torture not to be able to make a single move
for so long. The sessions are also very expensive. Not too sure if
this is the right thing but I thought it may benefit me and
my growing baby since my sleep is so lousy.

Thank you,

I can't help you with Acupuncture comments as I've never tried it but I'm a huge fan of massage therapy. Have you tried it? With my first, I got into prenatal massage after I started to ache (low back, feet) and it helped me relax despite the pain (which really didn't go away until after she was born). This time (I'm 26 wks now) I scheduled once per month sessions once I got out of first trimester (I'll do more if I need it). It has helped me keep aches and pains at bay this time around. I'm sleeping so much better now than when I was this far along with #1. I don't suffer from insomnia but you might want to try it. Make sure you get someone who is trained in prenatal massage. You won't be lying on your back at all, just your sides with nice fluffy pillows to help support. Also, if you do try it, I'd give it more than one session, maybe try it more frequently in the beginning (once a week instead of once a month).

Good luck! Diana

hi - I tried accupuncture when i was pregnant to help with the morning sickness. in my case, it was all day sickness and i just felt lousy. it did take a few sessions for it to start helping me. it was hormonal for me as well (i suffer from pcos) and i had a strange combination of starvation and feeling nauseous (only large amounts of food helped me). i think i had 3 sessions as well. i would say that it took the edge off how i felt - it lessened the feelings by 50% and that was enough to make life liveable again.

i don't know - i think you're doing the right thing in trying something as there isn't much else you can do at this point. If it doesn't work for you, i would consider massage therapy (as suggested already) or reflexology. i hope you feel better and get some sleep soon!

annie

Hello Suzanne,
I have been doing acupuncture for about 6 months now. I started it to help me conceive, and I truly believe that it did help me. I conceived 5 months after treatment began. I have also gone to an acupuncturist for insomnia, but it didn't really work for me. It really depends on who you see. The "true" authentic acupuncture uses herbs and burns the needles while they are in you. I know we have to watch which herbs we use, but make sure that your acupuncturist is truly trained in authentic Chinese medicine. I love my acupuncturist and will continue to see him throughout the pregnancy. I feel more balance than I ever have in my life. I go about 1x a week. In the beginning, I went more often, but now that I feel more aligned, I have scaled back. It's expensive and my insurance will not cover.

I think you should give it a chance. It does take time for it to begin working.

It is also safe. Both my OBGYN and family practictioner have given me the thumbs up. I wish you luck. I have had trouble with insomnia for many years. Thankfully, the pregnancy has made me pretty tired and I haven't had too much trouble so far.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. [email protected]
Take care,
Cristy

Don't shoot me---but I used Ambien during my last pg. The only time I've ever had insomnia in my entire life was during my last pg. It was awful, and I had trouble existing.
In my own defense, I am a pharmacist, and would not do anything to knowingly harm my baby. Ambien is a category "B" drug, same class as Tylenol. After the birth of my baby, the insomnia went away. It was TOTALLY hormonal (thank God). Now I wonder if I'll suffer from this during menopause?
My point is, there are other options if accupunture doesn't seem to work for you (or if you find it's too expensive). ;)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the responses and advice. I look forward to them.
I haven't had much look with acupuncture but do feel better for trying.
Melanie, I too tried Ambien when pregnant w/Jennifer. I was 8 months
and not sleeping at all. It was sort of surprising that it didn't
work in the slightest bit. Not at all. I was hesitant but reassured
by the doctor the baby would be fine but my health was considered.
Just like when one does not eat the body and mind does not cope/
function without sleep. Sure a few hours here and there help but
my insomnia was so bad I did not get a few hours. I didn't think
I would have another child because of it. I felt selfish but
the nights were so bad I just didn't think I would cope well.
Then you realize its temporary and you have a little person.
No one usually gets off too easy ,if not insomnia its something else.

Thanks again everyone

:)

Did Ambien work at all? There's a CR form of it now (controlled release). It has a longer duration of action and might help if Ambien worked, but the affects waned. Another consideration is melatonin...which actually mimics a hormone that is naturally released from pituatary gland. Just a thought...

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Nope , Ambien the short time I tried did not work for me.
This was December 2005 , not too sure if the CR was out yet but
I didn't try it. Yes, melatonin was suggested and I tried.
It did not help other than I have to say did help more than
the Ambien, warm milk, etc. The only drawback for me was odd nightmares which were defintely not a coincidence. I guess the
pregnancy hormones were so strong nothing could help especially
those last few weeks. It was always like that for me when I had
pms as I mentioned just magnified when pregnant. I would take
any suggestions for a good nights sleep. Thankfully it does not seem
to be so bad with this pregnancy. I am not quite 1/2 there but
at this stage last time I recall being up all night. :-(
Having to work all day is hard but I guess even if I stayed home
wouldn't be too fun either.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.