Aching Arches

Hi Cathe! I've got several of your videos and I love using them, especially the strength videos like Power Hour, Maximum Intensity Strength, and Leaner Legs. O
One thing I have noticed is whenever I'm doing plie squats with my toes turned out to the sides the arches on my feet begin to ache, and if it's a long or repeat sequence (like in Leaner Legs) they are really hurting by the end. It doesn't bother me to do regular squats, but the plie ones can sometimes cause my arches to throb! Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
I know that I'm the opposite of an overpronator (Supinator?)- my feet tend to roll to the outside, rather than to the inside - but this usually doesn't effect anything besides plie squats and (sometimes) jogging.
Any ideas you might have would really help - or if anyone else has had this problem and solved it, please let me know!

Thanks!

Diane

Hey Diane!!!
I have the same exact problem. I have really high arches, and I have to make sure I buy shoes for supinators i.e. underpronators. My feet roll towards the outside too. I have found that using my running shoes really helps me with doing step, weight training and kickboxing. Since we have to buy really cushioned running shoes, the cushioning helps with step, kickboxing, and weight training(including plie's , squats etc...) The only drawback is that it's pretty pricey, for some reason running shoes for underpronators are the most expensive ones on the market. Case in point Asics Gel Nimbus ---expensive as they are , these are the best running shoes for underpronator, high arched people like ourselves. I did the Disney Half- Marathon earlier this year, and I didn't feel any discomfort due to them. I would go on runningshoes.com, sometimes they have sales on the Gel Nimbus, I have all three versions of the shoe, and they are pretty much identical, so getting the cheaper Gel Nimbus I or Gel Nimbus II won't really be much different than getting the brand new model Gel Nimbus III. I think there's a $30 dollar difference btw. them. I hear the Nike Women's Air Pegasus and the Nike Air Max Triax are also good.
I really hope this helped, "I feel your pain.."
Take Care
Cheryl

Hi Diane! I don't know how far out you turn your toes during plie squats but they need not be turned totally out to the sides but rather at a 45 degree angle. If this still aggrivates your arches, then simply do regular squats and target your inner thighs additionally with floor work exercises.

It probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to see a podiatrist. They can evaluate your gait and perhaps put an orthodic in your shoe to keep your foot from supinating. Good Luck!

Thank you Cheryl!
I will certainly look into those shoes. We have a Big 5 here in town and sometimes they have great deals on shoes. I will check out runningshoes.com for them as well. And the tip on using those shoes during workouts is a great one. I do kickboxing also, but my feet don't seem to bother me too much during those workouts. It's nice to finally understand why I was always spraining my ankles, though - I just thought I was clumsy but it's my feet rolling outwards at the slightest excuse! Kickboxing made all the difference in my balance! Now if I can just get my arches adjusted I'll feel really steady and comfortable both working out and running. I really appreciate your comments - Thank you!

Diane

Thank you Cathe! I will try turning them out at a less severe angle. I usally like to turn them almost to the side, because I am fairly flexable, I like the way those squats feel and I like to work those inner thighs as much as possible. Your videos are so great I always try to follow them as religiously as possible.

Thank you for your reply and for your great videos! Keep up the good work!

Diane

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.