Accuracy of scales that measure body fat %?

julieb

Cathlete
Hi everyone: I have a question for all you fitness experts. My husband and I just got one of those Tanita scales that measures your body fat, and it seems to be way off. I wondered if anyone else had any experience with how accurate these things really are. I had my body fat done at the gym a little over a year ago (he used calpers on a number of places around my body), and according to the Tanita scale, my body fat is about 10% higher now (about 26% vs. 15.5%). The scale said that my husband's % was about 22%, which also immediately seemed wrong to me. We both work out a lot doing both cardio and weights about 5 times a week. We're both thin and in shape. You know what I do, since all of you do the same workouts. Any thoughts on these scales? I'm not really worried about it, but it annoys me to have spent $60 on a scale that may not be worth much. Thanks for your help!!

Happy new year to all :)

Julie

i was wondering the same things myself as mine varies from 10% to 13% lol ... plus there is a athlete mode... which i don't get, as doesn't it measure your body fat and shouldn't this be taken into account whichever mode you choose???

My Tanita measures my weight beautifully. I check its accuracy, occasionally, with my dumbbells, just to be sure it's still working properly, and it is, even at very low weights.

However, the body fat percentage is, and always has been, waaaaaaay off. I'm about 10 pounds over what I should weigh on the weight charts, but my scale shows my body fat at 44%! Those ten pounds must pack quite a wallop!

Shari

Thanks! My weight seems about right on the scale, so I'm not too concerned about the accuracy there, but I bought it because it's supposed to do more than just measure your weight. What a waste of money! I figured that if anything, my body fat percentage might have dropped a little since I wasn't doing any weight training when I had it measured at the gym, and now I do a lot and am generally in better shape. Oh well, shame on me for buying that scale. Thanks guys...

Julie

:)

PS - Shari - make the adjustment on the scale so that it thinks your height is about 6'2" - that will drop your body fat % way down!!! My husband set my height at 5'7" (I'm only 5'2") and the scale gave me a very favorable body fat reading. That's one way to fix it!! I think that I'm going to return that scale. That's another way to fix the problem

Julie,

I was reading the Leanness Lifestyle Book and they (highly) recommended the Tanita TBF521 scale. I have found the scale on internet sites and the cost ranges from $175.00 to $249.00. I don't know how accurate this scale is compared to others, but thought I would give you the information.

Terri

Thanks Terri: I guess maybe I expected too much from a $60 scale, although it is a Tanita scale. Thanks for the info.!

Julie

We just ordered a Taylor 5553-4012 - it hasn't gotten here yet but we had checked these out on Consumer Reports before ordering. I don't think any of these are real accurate, but the Taylor rated higher then the Tanita (I think cost was about the same.) I'll let you know once we get it!

I've had my body fat checked a couple of different ways and they've only been about 3% apart. We'll see what the scale says (I'm skeptical!) Believe it or not, it was my husband that wanted this and not me!

It is very important to make sure you are hydrated before measuring your fat% this way. Body fat contains hardly any water and makes the current used in the measuring go through more slowly than in hydrated lean muscle mass. So if you are hydrated you will get a more accurate measuring. So it is not good to measure your fat% when you're just awake because you haven't had anything to drink while sleeping. Best time to measure I have been told, is around 16h00 beccause then you've been drinking all day (I hope) and you haven't had any big meals yet (I think).

Dutchie

One way to get an accurate measurement is to get dunked in water.
I personally would not waste money on the scales if you want an accurate number for bodyfat percentage. If you want to use the scale to see relative changes between the numbers then it might be useful to gauge whether you are reducing fat or not.

Trevor :)

Scales suck. Hydrostatic is the best. My fat percentage is about 6-8 percent lower in water. Scales almost always measure you much fatter, usually by about 6-8 percent, less of an error for men (since they have more muscle and therefore a greater water content). I am very comfortable measuring my fat yearly via hydrostatic water weighing. It runs about 40 dollars, but once per year it is not a big investment. Other than that, I can tell by my clothes. If you want a big blow to your self esteem, keep the scale. My advice is take it back!!!

Janice

As I said in my invisible post a few notches up, LOL!, I think you can still use the scales to monitor differences over times although the absolute numbers are probably not too accurate.
Trevor

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.