Abs - How Often???

LuvCardio

Cathlete
Wondering how often all of ya' do Abs??? I have a marshmellow middle after giving birth to my son and have in reality always had problems with chub around the belly.

How many times a week should I be doing abs? Do you know if it is more important to get the fat off first thru cardio??? Or should I be doing both??? I am thinking I don't do abs enough (because I ahte them) I have a stability ball and should probably try to be using it more.

I have lost weight in all areas and my abs seems to be the sloooowwweeesssttttt:(

-Pammer

Luvcardio

I would say that 3-4 times a week is good like another muscle abs need a rest day in between I do my abs Monday and Friday with a concerntrated ab day on Wednesday this is a day devoted to abs and core work.

This helps I have also done ab work 5 days aweek having rest days on Thursdays and Sundays and had excellent rest I supplementated the workouts with making sure that during the days I had correct posture pulled my shoulders back, butt in and abs pulled in and down without holding my breathe.

Babs

Well, I can give my humble advice.
For me to have good abdominal results 3 things are necessary.
1)Adequate cardio (For me that means 5 days per week).
2)Eat healthy , and
3) Aim for abs exercises 3-4 days per week.
***My best results include ALL of these factors.
BTW Iam almost 42, have 4 kids, wear a size 6 and will proudly wear a bikini on vacation. (Not in the backyard any more with teenage kids & their friends hangin' around!)

Judy
Live by the golden rule: treat others as yourself :)

Cathe's pictures are awesome! But I thought she just had a baby...look at those abs!!! How can she look sooooooo good???

Cathe has not magic bullet - she just eats in moderation and does smart exercise. When she had baby #1, she developed the CTX series. That's the plan she followed to get back into shape.

Just Do It! :)

I posted the same question on Oct. 20th in the "Cathe" form and got an excellent reply from Francine. Please check it out.
JaneJ

Pammer,

Like you, I have always had a little belly but after 2 kids, It just shows a bit more now.

I have read extensively on abs, and the consensus seems to be :

Everyone is born with the same six pack. And everyone has a sexy mid section. But if there's a layer or multiple layers of fat on top of them, you simply cant access them. While ab workouts can strengthen your abs, it will not spot reduce the fat on top of them, no matter what. This was very discouraging to me to hear but after reading this over and over again, I surmised that there must be some truth to it.

So that would mean that if we get that layer of fat off of our tummies, then underneath is a stomach like Cathe's??? I would love to believe that, but think it's a bit far-fetched and unrealistic.

I hope that helps somewhat. I did abs for months and months and saw little results. All that happened was the abs got stronger and the fat around them got tighter but didnt disappear. I guess that would mean the cardio is the key there!

GN

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I ordered Ab Hits and recv'd it tonight. Hopefully it will motivate me to do those crunches!

I think you are all right in that it is a combo of diet, cardio, etc. I need to also lose the rest of the fat to see that 6-pack. sooooooo depressing. However, seeing those new vid pics tonight is sooooooo inspiring.

-Pammer http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport001.gif

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-02 AT 06:11AM (Est)[/font][p]Work your abs like any other muscle group with concentrated exercises, but ALSO do cardio that lets you focus on abs like kickboxing and powerwalking. If you use your arms right, you get a great ab workout when you powerwalk, or racewalk, as I've always called it.

Just Do It! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.