??? about an outside bird

DebD

Cathlete
I have a robin who is trying to break into my home.

At first it was funny, but now it's starting to freak me out and the dog too. She starts out around 6AM outside our bedroom window the front of the house and flys into the window trying to break it with her beak. In the afternoon she goes to the back of the house and starts doing the same thing.

When I go by the window, she flys away but returns about 10 minutes later. We have plenty of woods behind us and space between the next home so she does have plenty of places to go.

Any suggestions:confused:

OK, I just go and do a search on the Internet and the 1st thing that comes up that it is bad luck and can mean death if a wildbird is flying into your widow:(

Debbie,

That is so unusual. Let us know how things progress. Poor thing.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Deb, she is probably seeing a reflection of herself, or some splash of red, in the windows and is defending her territory from what she percieves as a threat. I've heard that putting something in the window, like a sheet of paper, that will reduce the reflection may get her (or him) to stop.

Hi Deb--

This happened to us a lot last year--after we had our windows cleaned. According to a friend who is a real expert on birds, this is probably a male robin seeing his reflection and aggressively attacking what he believes is a competitor for mating. There was one robin who kept attacking DH's rear view mirror on his truck. It should stop once mating season is over.

D*mn. Ever since Pidgy, the wounded mourning dove I cared for died (her hubby's still hovering around), I'm finding birds are very complex creatures. This is pretty interesting stuff.

<Deb, she is probably seeing a reflection of herself, or some splash of red, in the windows and is defending her territory from what she percieves as a threat.>

I'm sure that's it! We have robins do this at our basement windows every spring and they are persistant. My kids used to draw pictures and tape them to the windows and that would stop the problem.

I'm going to tape a picture to the windows and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Hi Deb--

This happened to us a lot last year--after we had our windows cleaned. According to a friend who is a real expert on birds, this is probably a male robin seeing his reflection and aggressively attacking what he believes is a competitor for mating. There was one robin who kept attacking DH's rear view mirror on his truck. It should stop once mating season is over.

Yes, that's likely what's going on. Male robins in the spring are VERY territorial. I've read about this a lot with cardinals, but other birds will do it, too.

We have a Purple Finch knocking on our bedroom window this spring. It drives the cats crazy.

We've had bluebirds attack rear view windows on the cars in the drive. One year when we vacationed in St John, USVI, we had a Yellow Warbler hang out on the mirror in a parking lot.

The urge to mate makes us all do strange things!

I had a bird attack the side view mirrors on my car on a daily basis....my poor car suffered the consequences!! :( We finally had to put socks over my side view mirrors every day when I returned home and the bird finally went away.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.