ab work

amybajamy

Cathlete
Hi, I was just wondering which Cathe ab workouts everyone does. I'm 24 weeks and have been ignoring my abs. For the first trimester I didn't workout due to naseau, fatigue and depression, but I started working out again about 2 months ago, but haven't done any ab work becuase I wasn't sure what I should do and if it would be uncomfortable. Saturday I decided to try the abs from All Step and it wasn't uncomfortable and I'm glad I finally did something (my abs are still sore today). I was wondering which other workouts would be good and wouldn't have to be modified too much. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Amy

Whatever ab work you do, make sure you are not in the supine position. (Laying on your back) It's a big no, no after the first trimester.

I just became ACE certified and this was on the exam.

From my book:

After the first trimester, no abwork in the supine position:

This can cause Supine hypotension. It's when the weight of the uterus presses against blood vessels, especially the inferior vena cava (where blood enters the heart). This pressure occludes the vessels causing a restriction in blood flow which may, in turn, cause reduction in cardiac output, blood pressure , and blood flow to the fetus. If the fetus is subjected to repeated periods of hypoxia due to prolonged and/or repetative supine exercise, there is the potential for developmental disorders to occur.

Instead you can try doing abdominal exercises in the semirecumbent position. This reduces the constricting uterine pressure from the inferior vena cava and aorta.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.