A question for those who deal with anxiety and panic

RE: A question for those who deal with anxiety and pani...

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. Apparently I am not alone in this battle of anxiety and panic.

I called my counselor to see what she recommends at this point since I cannot afford to see her at $150 an hour (insurance covers nothing..with her anyway). She had mentioned to me several times that if the panic attacks come back more than 1 time a day that I would likely need medication along with therapy. She is a psychologist who doesn't advocate medication unless it is really necessary. She feels I really need it now, at least for a little while.

Fitnessfreak366, I noticed in my research the effects of 5-HTP is wonderful for about 3 months and then the body develops quite the tolerance to it. Did you find that that is true for you?

Candi and Future Fitness Dynamo, I think you both are right. I am very willing to put in the work to make this better. I just need to feel better immediately because this anxiety/panic is so draining. I spent the first half of the day today in a hyper-anxiety mode. Didn't quite go into a full blown panic attack; it was close though.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I am working on finding the perfect psychologist/counselor/pyschiatrist for me. I just need to be over this once and for all!

Rhonda

Rhonda,

Hearing you describe yourself as in hyper-panic anxiety mode brought back bad memories for me. I still remember how awful it is to feel so out of control.

Feel confident that what you are going through now is going to be a bad memory for you as well.

Rhonda,
I'm sorry you are going through a rough time with anxiety and panic.

Sometimes people have bad reactions to medications and it means meds are not for them. Sometimes, it means it's not the right med. Combinations of therapy, talk-therapy, cog-beh. therapy, homeopathic methods -- e.g. exercise & diet, medication creatively selected by a competent physican, etc in all combos can and dowork. But everyone is different: physiologically and mentally.

But when a person suffers with anxiety, panic, OCD :HELP is necessary, though, IMO. You did the right thing by posting and trying to get more info.

You must remain your own advocate to get the best care possible, please remember that If one helper/psychologist, physician or therapist or friend or anyone hasn't provided you with help that works, you must keep trying and fighting to find something that does.

Only you will know what works and what doesn't. It's hard to seek help and be proactive when you feel terrible.

IDEAS: To deal with the cost issue: maybe you could find a physican/internal medicine doctor in your insurance plan with a reputation for being good with anxiety and see if there are some medications at very low doses you could try.

Also, maybe you could find a therapist who you could afford to see who could be helpful. Sometime the Bar Association (Lawyers) have a list of therapists who see patients at sliding fees -- since often times people going through a divorce need counselling/therapy and cannot afford it. Also, sometimes churches keep lists of therapists who see clients at lower fees.

I think it makes sense to explore options with a professional -- especially if you are in a significant amount of distress.

I hope you feel better soon,
Barb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.