A good substitute for running

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi,

Many of the rotations include a day of running. I am not a runner, and have no intention of becoming one. Do you have any recommendations on DVDs that would be a good substitute? Since running is pretty much steady state, I would assume IMAXs would be a no go, or maybe not and any cardio is fine?

Let me know what you think.

Susan

I think any steady-state cardio would work. I typically choose a kickbox (kickmax or Kick punch & crunch) on those days I don't want to run but want to get a good steady state workout.

I agree that any steady-state cardio would probably work like kickboxing or any of the steady-state step workouts (i.e. Rhythmic Step or Step Moves). Like you said, the Imaxs probably wouldn't work since they're interval workouts, not steady-state.

Powerwalking!

Or Rythmic Step, Step Blast, etc. Maybe also the Imaxes because running is actually harder than doing step, any step.

Clare

I do run, and for days when I'm indoors (weather or if it is dark.) I will do a boot camp style workout, like the 4DS BC cardio premix or the BC section on Drill Max. Kick box does not really cut it in terms of heart rate, running (especially outdoors.) is definitely the hardest workout I have ever done. That said, I live with a lot of hills.

speed walking/racewalking if you want an outdoor workout.
Depending on the type of run that is planned, either a steady-state cardio or interval cardio workout if you are inside.

I also agree the speed walking would be perfect. Just walk at a quick pace and slowly increase your speed. And you never know, maybe you will start jogging or alternating speedwalking with jogging!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.