7 weeks and miserable

swhitney

Hi Cathe/Sheila,

I'm just short of 7 weeks pregnant-- when my husband and I first found out we were pregnant, he said, "Well, you get to be pregnant with Cathe now!" I am excited to learn from you in yet another area. :) I have a few questions:

1. My doctor told me to go light on the weights-- she said 50-70 pounds max. But this is very heavy for me! Is it safe for me to continue lifting heavy weights to failure? Cathe, have you encountered any difficulties lifting?
2. Whenever I work out, it seems my heart rate is always above 150 considerably. I read below that talking is a better indicator of intensity. Can I still work out at 165, for example, if I can talk? What are the harmful effects on the baby if my heart rate is too high?
3. Right now my energy is so low (and my tummy so upset) that I can barely muster up the resolve to exercise. Will this go away soon? Should I be concerned that I'm not able to eat a diet consisting of all the food groups at this point? I'm taking my prenatal vitamin and choking down whatever food I can stand. Needless to say, my diet is probably lacking.

Thank you! And Cathe, I love reading your updates. I'm sure you look wonderful pregnant. Best of luck with those last three months.

Sara

Heavy lifting, heartrates, and diet during early pregnancy

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-99 AT 10:44PM (EST)</font></center>

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-99 AT 10:42 PM (EST)

Hi Sara,

Congrats on the pregnancy! When is your actual due date? You will have to keep us posted on your "progress." Here are some of my thoughts on your questions......

As for the heavy lifting.... It is okay to continue lifting the amount of weight that you are accustomed to as long as you "listen to your body." At any sign of pain or discomfort, you should lower the weight or modify to a new exercise. Also, when you are pregnant you should not lift to failure. It is okay to fatigue the muscles but do not "go to the max." Now is not the time to try to increase your weights any great amount. Relaxin, the hormone responsible for "loosening" up the joints during pregnancy affects different women in different ways. You may find that your joints seem "loose" and may want to decrease your weights for that reason. You may also not experience any of relaxin's effects. Every pregnancy is different, even subsequent ones in the same woman!

As for your high heartrate... Early in pregnancy heartrates may be sky-high as your cardiovascular system is adapting to the pregnancy. Once these adaptations occur the heartrate will lower. It is because of these cardiovascular changes that heart rate monitoring is not a valid indicator of intensity during pregnancy. So try to measure your intensity by RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion) and the "Talk Test." You can make yourself crazy worrying about heartrates. I would suggest that you purchase "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by James Clapp, MD. He has done a vast amount of research in the field of prenatal exercise. This book is a "must" for the active pregnant woman such as yourself. Another note... Stay well hydrated. Getting dehydrated can increase heartrate as well.

During this time, eat what you can keep down and don't worry about eating from all the pyramid food groups. You are taking your prenatal vitamins and keeping them down. That's a step in the right direction! I have had pregnant clients that ate Doritoes and Coke for practically the entire first trimester. Just get through this trimester for now.

Good luck. Hope all this helps. Feel free to post more questions as they come up.

Sheila

Thanks!

What a timely thread! I've been driving myself nuts worrying about my heart-rate getting too high during my workouts. I keep thinking "don't go over 140, don't go over 140" and as a result, I've been marching in place during large portions of my step tapes just to get my heart rate down (even though I don't FEEL as though I'm exercising at a high intensity). As a result I stopped using risers w/ my step and I've even been thinking about ditching the step altogether and doing my Cathe tapes on the floor! I'll definitely invest in this book. I'm not due till May 1st, and I think this book will help preserve my sanity in the next seven months. Thanks Sheila and thanks Sara for starting this thread.

Just the information I needed!

I'm just starting week 6 of my pregnancy and was very disappointed with how out of shape I've been feeling. I did Step Works the other day (a tape I've done at least 100 times) and I felt like I was going to die! Going through MIS yesterday, I felt like I was the world's biggest wimp! I was wondering if I should just start doing something a bit less intense, but since it's safe - I'll keep it up.

Thanks!!!!

oh wow Sara and all

You guys are in the THICK OF IT for sure! Those first 12 or 13 weeks are SO hard. The only thing I could eat for two whole months was celery with peanut butter. . . Your blood volume is increasing and you are building a placenta and ALL that stuff, so your body constantly feels drained and tired, I remember my heart beating so fast even at rest. . . It is a very hard time of pregnancy. Anything that you can do at this stage of the game is probably more than what I did! Believe it or not (I know this is Sara's first pregnancy, woo-hoo!!! --don't know about you others) you will feel GREAT when you're 6 or 7 months along. . . you'll feel like you could uproot trees with your bare hands! You get such a surge of energy then, so don't worry! You'll have plenty of time to build up in the middle of your pregnancy, slow down a little toward then end, then hit the ground running post partum! You'll be amazed at the difference it makes in your recovery when you exercise through pregnancy (I exercised through 2 pregnancies and vegged through 1 due to complications and pre-term labor, etc. I am a living example of the difference between the two!!). Anyway, your posts kinda touched my heart, I remember those awful and discouraging days when you're so tired and feel so sick, and I just wanted to chime in with some encouragement. So tell me ladies, when are you all due and what # child is this for you? -susan p

I'm right there with ya!

I am in my 7th week, too, and feeling so tired! I have only been nauseaus a little bit the past few days (thankfully!), but working out is still so hard to do! I feel like I'm gaining weight and turning to flab already!! I just keep telling myself that I'll feel better afterward, and I try to take advantage of the times when I'm feeling a little better and work out then.

I'm due on 7-9-00, until the dr says otherwise! This will be our first child and we're so thrilled to be going through this! My husband is working out with me and encouraging me when I complain that my workout wasn't very tough, which helps me, too.

Shelli

Hang in there

I'm 13 weeks along with my first and still having the "tired" bouts. I try to aim for 3 days working out, but don't get bummed if I make 2. In the next couple of weeks I expect to get back to more normal. I have that book by Clapp and it is really good. My aerobic instructor is 8 weeks ahead of me so I can pace myself off of her. I've stopped the home tapes for awhile for variety and started lifting weights at the gym where I can use machines. I was getting kinda worried lifting weights by myself with no help.
Brushing my teeth makes me barf which is a sidenote I wasn't expecting. There is hope for us getting through this.
Traci'
EDD 5/24/00

Thanks Susan!

I'm due in July and this is my first. Still can't believe it's happening, but I'm very glad you wrote what you did. It's very encouraging. Thanks!

6 weeks pregnant as well

Hi ladies. I've just migrated over to this list from The Firm's list. I am a Firm tape user, and never had the chance to try Cathe's tapes - but keep hearing wonderful things about them. I am 6 weeks pregnant (with my second, my son turned 2 in August) and have also not had the energy to work out. Last week, I pushed myself through 2 workouts (before I knew I was pregnant). This week, I've not been able to do any. I usually get my workouts in when my son is napping, before I head off to work, but now I find myself napping with him! I'm anxious to start again (as I have really slacked off this last month -- now I know why). Can anyone recommend a good Cathe tape for me to start with. I was really gearing myself up to start using her tapes, as all I hear is wonderful things, but now, I'm very intimidated - I hear they're very tough! Thank you.

Just wanted to chime in!

Congrats to Sara et al! Soon enough, I'm sure, you'll feel infinitely better. I was so exhausted during my first trimester that I took naps on the floor of my office during the day! I simply could not keep my eyes open. I felt tremendously guilty, too, for not working out as often. But by the 13th week, it was as if a dark cloud lifted--I began to feel great (and you all will too!) I went on a three-week trip to Italy during my fifth month, walked about 6-8 miles a day there, climbed to the very top of the dome of St. Peter's, etc. As Sheila advised, I just listened to my body; on the days I felt more tired, I just took it easy. At any rate, last December 2, I did FIRM Strength AND Standing Legs in the morning, having modified the weights a bit during the last trimester because my balance was a little off (I had not yet discovered the incredible Cathe) and ten hours later gave birth to my daughter. So look forward to feeling better and stronger in the weeks ahead and know that all of your Cathe cyber-buddies are wishing you the very best.

15 weeks and not as miserable

Hi all! I'm in my 15th week now. I was happy to see my thread was revived. My baby is due at the end of May. I didn't start feeling instantly better at 12 weeks. I still have morning sickness too, just not as bad. It's mostly at night and when I let myself get too hungry (though my tastes have completely changed and I'm not very hungry at all). I'm eating almost normally (for pre-pregnancy that is), but still sleeping a lot and not too energetic. I try to work out 3 days a week or so and it's really hard to motivate myself to do it.
I also haven't yet gained a single pound, which worries me, but I know it will come. I'm in my second trimester so I feel like I should be packing it on now.
Boy do I sympathize with those of you at 6 and 7 weeks! Good news, the morning sickness declines over time after those few weeks and gets to a point where it's at least bearable, at least for me. I'm really looking forward to this "burst of energy" Susan mentioned. :)
And wow, Katie, Standing Legs and Firm Strength the day of delivery? If I may ask, were you in excellent shape after delivery? Did you bounce back quickly? I mean, did you have far to go in getting back to your pre-pregnancy shape? That's amazing. I'm hoping to maintain my muscle tone and some of my fitness through this so I'm not starting at square one.

so glad to hear from you!!

When I clicked on new messages and saw there was a new post to this thread I thought "I really ought to e-mail Sara and see if she's doing OK" and voila! Here you are! So glad to hear its getting better. I wouldn't worry about the weight. I didn't gain till I was past 20 weeks with my first pregnancy. At my 24 weeks appointment I had finally gained 2 lb. I ended up gaining 28 total, mostly all of it in the last 2 1/2 months. I looked a little sickly but baby and I were both perfectly healthy. I was told I looked like a kid with rickets (big swollen tummy, bony arms and legs). Oh well! Anyway, glad to hear you're feeling better. If you get started laboring but you aren't going anywhere, try a light workout. I started laboring with #1 at 6 am and went ahead to my 10 am prenatal aerobics class. . . In the course of the 60 minute class my contractions got really regular and somewhat stronger. I ended up not giving birth until 2 am the next morning for a total of 20 hours in labor, but that mild workout really helped get the contractions coordinated for some reason. -susan p

Sounds wild, I know...

Sara,
I've been preparing for a certain someone's first birthday celebration today (my little girl, Ellie's), so I'm sorry it's taken me a bit to respond. I realize that everyone's different, but yes, in my case, after Ellie was born, it took almost no time to get back into shape. I was lucky in many respects because I must have some magic gene that prevented me from having cravings for foods that were awful for me. (Well, okay, I probably ate about a quarter ton of Rice Krispies treats over the course of nine and half months...but that was about it for the no-nos.) Five days before delivery, at my last doctor's appointment, I had gained a total of 22 pounds with the pregnancy. Much of that, of course, came near the end and so I hope you won't worry too much about having not gained any weight yet; if you've been bothered by morning sickness and foods don't yet appeal to you too much, that only makes sense. And too, I know exactly how you feel regarding workouts at this point; it's difficult when you're not feeling your usual energetic self. I am absolutely impressed that you're exercising so regularly. I did follow doctor's orders and held off on resuming weight training until after my 6-week post-partum check-up. In fact, I didn't do much exercising at all in those first few weeks except for talking a walk here and there with Ellie in a front pack. But, I believe because I tried to stay faithful to exercising up until her delivery--in modified form, of course--I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight (and pretty well on my way back to pre-pregnancy muscle fitness) by 8 weeks postpartum. I know that everyone has a different experience and believe me, I'm no super athelete--far from it! I was just one of those people who worried constantly about the attendant changes of pregnancy/birth/motherhood, and I wanted to try and keep under control at least one part of my life! I'm so delighted to hear that you're feeling better.
Katie

Early preggo sickness

Hi -

I had really nasty sickness. Lost 15 lbs and couldn't take my prenates during the first 14 weeks.

It started week 4, lasted til week 14.5 when it shut off s uddenly. One day I woke up (after the absolute worst week of sickness) and I felt GREAT! The bad taste had gone, the drooling had gone, and my energy was back. Like someone flicked a switch.

Hang in there, and don't push yourself please!! Focus mostly on getting liquids in!

Leela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.