***>-6 Monther Alumni -<*** December 26, 2010

Happy Day after Xmas!

Xmas eve turned out really fun! I had a very eclectic dinner: friends brought a prime rib roast, I made steamed kale with kalamata olives and sundried tomatoes and garam marsala vegetables with sweet potatoes, carrots, etc., then of course we had pumpkin pie! So we had a little traditional, greek, and indian! LOL! I made my steamed kale a little different this time -with the olive oil and lemon juice, I also added balsalmic vinegar and it really added a nice flavor. After dinner we had a bowling tournament with the WII and our friend helped us with the german commands for Ibo. His parents are both from germany so he speaks it fluently. Cendrine, I would have been calling you next! LOL! Actually DH and I were mostly right on with the commands we're using but our friend also taught us some other phrases.

Yesterday was low key. DH and SS went out and finished clearing the fence line as the fence men come tomorrow. I was on the phone with relatives and friends all day! :D Then suddenly the day was over!

I was going to get up and spin today and then decided I'd wait one more day for tackling high intensity so I think I'll TM again today. So, with that said, I'm off to the shower!

Hope you all have a great day! Merry Day After Xmas! :D;)

It sounds like everyone had a great Christmas! We have one more event today, DH's B-day, and he and I both wish we could just go to a movie or something but his dad was insistent on doing steaks so that is what we are doing. He told me to come hungry because the steaks are a pound and a half each :eek: I think I could not eat for a couple of days and not be that hungry! LOL I will guess I will have a doggie bag.

We had a great evening last night with all of my family and all the kids went crazy for the chance to have yet another Christmas. It was kind of funny though because on years past they would pester us to death about opening presents but this year they were content just playing with each other. That was a nice surprise.

Jo-It is going to be nice to have that fence up I am sure. It got cold enough that we brought the puppies in last night. They came in and laid down and were asleep in no time. I think they just wanted to be part of the festivities too.:D You will have to let us know how your first workout after surgery goes.

Cendrine-I can picture dd all dressed up in her little chef-ette ;) outfit. Just think how creative she will be when it comes to cooking when she grows up. I love it that you involve them in the kitchen.

Kim-I hope you had nice weather for all the traveling to your families houses.

Well nothing left but the waiting. We think our modem might be the cause of our internet problems so if I am not on a lot this week it is because we are waiting for repair.

Another quick post from me. It was a whirlwind few days. I've barely been home in days and I'm exhausted. There is a thing of too much fun! We're been gone from early morning till late over the holidays. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get back to a normal schedule and maybe a workout!

Sorry no time for personals but it sounds like everyone had a good holiday!!

Happy Boxing Day;)

Looks like I'm the last one to check in today...;)

Jo, your dinner sounds wonderful! I'll have to make steamed kale like you made it soon! I'm also glad your friends were able to help you with Ibo! Did he get anything for Christmas?

Rachel, our kids were more into enjoying what they got than ask for 'what else, what else' this year too, which is definitely a nice thing to see! I'm so glad for it! 1.5lb steaks sound a bit scary.... I could probably make 3 meals out of that or more... Enjoy celebrating your dh birhtday though!

I went hunting for clearance crafts and things for the kids' advent calendar for next year. I did pretty well, if I say so myself and it was all 50% off or more! Love that!

I didn't work out today, just stretched. Tomorrow I'll do tm and some kind of total body dvd. Not quite sure yet which one. I can't believe next week starts my sts journey number two!

Well finally some time to catch up!

Rachael How did DH's birthday dinner go? I was wondering how the white elephant Christmas gifts (is that what you call them?) went over? The kids are off school until Jan 6th so will be a good break for them. They always get a full 2 weeks at Christmas just kind of strange because this year, they had the last day on a Wed and go back on a Thursday.

Cendrine I sure hope jury duty doesn't affect our move but it might if I get selected for a jury. I read in the newspaper this morning that they are picking the jury for a very famous case that week. A 13 yr old girl went missing from our community when I was about 16. She was walking home from school, I remember it vividly as everyone was in a bit of a panic and searching for her. The found her body after a few weeks but didn't arrest anyone till last year (25 yrs after she was killed). Her parents have always did alot of charity work in the city, raising money in her name. It will be a very high profile trial, I hope I don't get chosen for that one!!!

Sounds like your kids had a great Christmas. Some neat gifts to try out!! LOL, on the tv story. DH bought a tv on the Boxing Day sale yesterday. He wants to try it out to make sure it works but no where to put it in the old house. In the new house, the flat screen is going on the fireplace mantel, does your tv need a holder of some type??
Glad you're enjoying your new dvds, Push & Pull, and Supersets are some of my favourite weight training dvds but Cathe doesn't seem to put them in her rotations very often.

Jo I can't believe someone would uninvite their family member, that's great that you could find room for them;) Do we get to see pictures of the new rugs or Ibo's Christmas picture? Did the fence get put up??

Started a new post as the laptop is low on batteries.

So Christmas Eve I ended up doing overtime as it was busy at the hospital! Then we went to the christmas Eve service at the church which was just what I needed after a stressful long day at work, it calmed me down and put me in the Christmas spirit. Then we did a long drive to DH's aunt's house, she always does a full course midnight supper with extended family. We got home really late, long day for me.

Christmas morning was relaxing, I was up 2 hours before the kids! LOL DD still believes in Santa so we do the cookies, stocking, Santa gifts, etc so that is fun. We all opened our gifts, I got a sewing machine! Then got dressed and off to MIL's for a big family dinner, and more gifts!:rolleyes: Then straight to my sister's for more gifts and a big turkey dinner. This is the kids' favourites as they have so much fun with their cousins. Stayed there till really late by the time we got home (forgot dd at my sister's ) I was exhausted!!

December 26th is Boxing Day here, it's kind of like your Black Friday for shopping. People line up outside all night line at some of the stores. DH and I got up and braved the crowds we ordered a dishwasher for the new house, got a 46" Sony tv, some pillows, jeans for me. Picked up dd, stopped at the new house and got home mid day then I was exhausted, and hardly moved off the couch the rest of the day.

The new house, has a railings on the deck, a basement floor and a furnace!!!
We move 5 weeks today!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Today I finally got a workout in! I did Intensity, it wasn't pretty but I completed it. Going to check out the Jan rotation as obviously I need something to keep me on track.

Today we have 2 hockey games, ds's then a professional game. DS is playing in a hockey tournament over Christmas so that will keep us busy

Kim, that is so great that your dh found a tv on boxing day! Here's what dh did: he went price hunting, then found one at costco that had a good price, then he kept it sitting in our front room for probably two months to see if any better deals were coming up. I think Costco did lower the tv later towards christmas of last year and so dh went in with his receipt and asked if they would adjust it or if he was going to have to return the one he bought earlier....:rolleyes: It's a good thing Costco is so good about stuff like that, they adjusted it no problem and dh was happy.... Our tv can stand on a surface with a stand that came with it or it can be mounted on the wall. It's kind of nice to have both options. But since for the time being we have a new and nice entertainment cabinet, it's standing and not being mounted on the wall.

Boy, that case you were mentioning about the girl is not a fun story. Isn't it amazing how long it can take for a crime like this to be solved? I sure hope for you that you're not going to be on that jury, that sounds like it would be a long trial and would be especially hard for you, knowing you have kids in that age range and were around when the actual crime happened!

Rachel, I was wondering about the white elephant gift too! Do tell how it went!:D

And Jo, we're ready for pictures whenever you are!

Workout today was tm walk with the vest, then Muscle Max and my back exercises.

Kim, your second post came right while I was writing my post...:)
I had to smile when I read that you forgot dd at your sister's house... very funny!
I can't believe the schedule you've been on for the holidays! I would be exhausted too! And all the more high fives for you doing a workout today! Nice work!
What are you going to make first with your sewing machine?

Just a quick post to say I am alive...We had to go to work this morning to finish up a little bit of stuff and it ended up taking all day.:rolleyes:
Now my SIL is on her way with my niece and nephew. They are going to stay the night with us tonight. So not too much time to catch up.
Kim, I did Intensity today too and it was not too pretty either. I had a feeling it wouldn't be since it was super early.

I will be in tomorrow for a lot longer chat. I am going to try to rest my eyes a minute before the madness begins!

TTYT

Hi - Just wanted to let you know I'm here. For some reason I cannot get on the forum from my computer so am sending this from my phone. Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity; fence posts put in, DH and I doing errands all day, appt with physical therapist, etc. Will try and do more later when can get online.

Jo, did Ibo get to try out the back yard yet? I guess the fence posts doesn't constitute a whole fence, doggie proofed...:)

I'm feeling cold this week. I was feeling so nice and warm, quite unlike me last week even though it rained for most of it... Now the sun's out and I'm cold... :rolleyes:
I did an interval tm walk a longer one than usual because I'm not doing weights today. Felt good, so did the stretches! I'm overall feeling pretty good and encouraged! I better go figure out my workout cards for sts next week!

Oh my goodness!
I think I am finally done with all my holiday duties! I am really just exhausted, I think:rolleyes: I am so tired today. The only thing I can think of is that for more than a week it feels like I have been having to do this or that and it has finally caught up with me.
Last night we had my niece and nephew and I promised her that when they came to stay we would take her to town to spend some of her Christmas money. Well then I had a longer day than expected at work and I was so tired last night but couldn't disappoint so we went anyway and that I think was the straw on the camel so to speak. So needless to say, it is 3:30 and I am in my jogging pants and robe and am going to be on the couch or in the bed tonight reading or something that takes as little energy as possible!

It took all I had this morning but I did manage to get sts tb done minus the abs because by then I was out of energy and want to...LOL

My SIL gave me a run for my money on creative white elephant presents. On the tag hers said everything you could ever need for a great party. On the inside was an animal balloon kit, a puppy party dvd, a shooter of jagermeister, and a barf bag.LOL DH and I split the jager after the kids knocked a little thing off the wall that he had gotten from his relatives in Norway a few CHristmases back...haha Of course every one got a good chuckle out of that!

Kim-I can not believe that you are that close to moving in. It really has gone by fast to me.:p I am sure for yall it might have felt like it has drug by a little. I am going to check out the January rotation too so maybe we will kind of be on it together.
Here I am complaining about how exhausted I am and your schedule is just so crazy to me! I don't see how you do it sometimes!

Cendrine-I am very excited for you getting to start STS next week! It seems like a big milestone!
When are the kids going back to school?
I know what you mean about being cold...Kim and Jo are probably rolling their eyes right now LOL...Our weather is going to be wacky this week. Pretty much cloudy all week but one day we are going to be in the 70's and then a day in the 50's and today we are in the 40's. THere is no predicting what to where tomorrow!
Today DH and I went to the book store to look around and I saw they were carrying Rosetta Stone now. You were right it is pretty pricey! It just depended on what one you were getting though. It looked like the cheapest one was around 250 (which is reasonable) but it got up to 750 for Japanese! I am sure you could get it cheaper online though.

Jo-I GOT A KINDLE!!! OK I will have to admit I did not think this was a gift for me when I opened it although I love to read I am not one of those people that reads several books at once or very fast or sometimes I don't have time for reading at all but this is the best gift I never knew I wanted!!! Today is the first time I have really got to set down and mess with it and it is just so cool! IT does so much and I know since I am not the techiest person, I am sure I am missing out on some stuff so if you know anything super cool other than the obvious:D, do share!!!
I am sure it is going to be wonderful to be able to open the door and let Ibo run out on his own! Has been in the mats anymore or is he settled in and behaving?

OK my girls!!! I am going into la la land whether it be mindless gazing at the TV or a nap...I am just going to let whatever happens, happen:p
Have a great night!

Beautiful day here, minus 4 and sunny! My mom and I took the kids cross country skiing this afternoon. It was the first time that dd skied and I was amazed how well she did! I guess she is an athlete of the year! I also got STS TB done this morning. I think dd and I are going to relax and enjoy the new tv this evening and skip ds's hockey game.:eek: It's really late and a very long drive, dd really doesn't want to go. I think she is hockey'd out.

Cendrine It's so great to hear you so excited about your workouts!!! You asked about the sewing machine. I have no idea what I"m going to do with it! I used to be into lots of crafts, needlepoint, crocheting etc. but haven't been doing much the last few years. I should find some craft projects to do with the new house. I'm going to leave it packaged until after we move.

Rachael Oh I feel your fatigue! Holidays are fun but exhausting aren't they! It's nice to get back to a normal routine. We did the same workout again today, I did attempt the abs but took lots of breaks. I did enjoy this workout more the second time around. The move is starting to seem close to me too! I'm starting to book some consultations for the window treatments. THere are so many big windows, I don't know what to do with them so will get some advice from interior designers.

Hope you get back online soon Jo!

Well, I have lots of things to tell you guys but first off, part of the reason I'm having computer problems is because Ibo got tangled in my laptop cord then other night and it took a HUGE tumble. So I have to run by work tomorrow and pick up my other laptop. Then we're on our way to mom's until Saturday. Bottomline, when I get to mom's I will have more opportunity to post (and a better computer!). Oh, I hope I can fix this as this is the computer I use for all my school work! Uggghhh! So forgive me for not posting more tonight. A couple of quick comments though:

RACHEL - I'M SO EXCITED YOU GOT A KINDLE!!!! So you must have the newer one that probably has more features than mine. Tell me what model you got! Your reading world is now forever changed! Except, I wanted one from the beginning - until you actually use it, you have no idea what you've been missing! YEAH!!!! I'll give you some hints and tips on free books!

Kim, we're suppose to have a little snow tomorrow but I don't think it will stick much. I can't believe how much progress they're making on your house! You must just be counting the days - 5 weeks will be here before you know it! (I'll probably have midterms that week! LOL!)

Cendrine, I'll get my pictures posted when I get to mom's! :D Oh and Ibo is such a good boy! He doesn't run off at all! I am so in love with this dog! Please understand we have a happy family and all, but I forgot how much JOY a dog brings! He makes me laugh everyday and everyday as he gets more comfortable he's really showing us his crazy personality! He's such a character! I totally get you being cold! Get some of those handwarmers from Costco! Sometimes, it might be 50 here and I'll just get cold to the bone! Put a nice cozy scarf around your neck! That always helps me warm up.

I forgot to tell you guys my calendar came on Xmas Eve day. I'll talk post tomorrow night!

Workout done for the day. I seem to be getting back into the habit of getting up early. YAY! I can fit so much more into my day if I just work out before breakfast! I did my vest tm walk and push and pull again. I spent some time yesterday working on my workout manager calendar and loaded up the 6.5 month sts rotation! Then I tried to figure out how to best modify the cardio sts. Just to give my back a fighting chance, I would like to keep it to tm cardio, low impact, but there should be variations I can do according to the type of cardio Cathe scheduled. I figured, I'll just do steady state with vest for athletic step and step moves. And I thought I'd ramp up the intensity with Incline and speed for the three Hiit dvds according to her timing for each. But I'm not sure what kind of format to do for the MMA. I think I might do some Cardio Coach style challenges or something. But if you guys have a good idea of how to replicate the type of training each of the MMA workouts has on the tm, I would love to hear it!

Rachel, I am excited for you too, that you got a Kindle! Makes me want to get a real one! I still haven't gotten around to trying out the one that came as an app on my phone....!

Jo, I would love to meet Ibo! Pets really are so much fun, they really do have their own personality and just tug on your heart! Sorry about the laptop tumble, though! Here's hoping that no permanent damage has been done!

Kim, you are so wise to get decorators input for the windows! Like I said before, I guess I won't be investing much in interior decorating until the kids are done being kids...LOL! Helps me to stay relaxed and let them be kids instead of making them feel like the house is more important than them... Ok, that sounds like they are all wild and destructive and they really are not, but still the normal kid wear and tear.... Anyway, I need to get some decorating input too, because I just draw blanks. I would like the people who decorate the showroom at Ikea to come to my house and tell me what to do! LOL!

Well, gotta go. It's raining again and I am making a meal for a friend with a new baby who lives about 1hr away... Sometimes I think it would be easier to have a meal delivered from a local restaurant....! But there is something to be said about a homemade meal from a friend, right?

We are in the rain here too , Cendrine. We really need it but it sure does make it kind of ho hum around here. I do feel so so much better though. I could not even think about tackling even straightening the house yesterday and today I have already done most of the laundry, most of the floors and not to mention IMAX2! So I am feeling pretty good today.
I have not been getting out of bed that early these last couple of days so it is kind of a late start on my workouts but I am thinking that I will sleep in this week and try to get back to a more normal schedule next week.

Jo- Poor Ibo and you! Did he feel your pain when your computer went to the ground? I hope it is able to be fixed.
Hope you have a safe trip to your mom's. Is Ibo going along?
I am not exactly sure what model I have but it is the one with built in 3G wi-fi. Even though I still have to stand by our window to download anything since we are out in the boonies! LOL:rolleyes: I am loving it though. When we were at the bookstore yesterday I was downloading all the samples of books that looked interesting!

Cendrine-I think I know what you mean about just regular kid destruction. When my niece and nephew were over they were really only here for a few hours before bed and then that next morning were gone right after getting up but the house still seemed unusually messy for us not doing anything. haha
I am sure Jo will have some recommendations for you on the MMA mods. I am horrible about that sort of like you drawing a blank on the decorating...even though that happens to me too.LOL:rolleyes: It is great though that you are already well on your way with the modification ideas for the other workouts! I am so excited for you to have a rotation on the calendar that you are feeling excited about!

Kim-I would love to have an interior designer come tell me what to do! That is going to be so much fun! I think you need some down time so its going to be nice for you to hang at the house with dd. I had to chuckle about dd being athlete of the year! SHe does look like a real girly girl in the pictures...so cute! I have only downhill skied once in my life and although I was not that great at it...I had a lot of fun falling!:p

OK time to check my beans! YUM Crockpot pintoes with ham from Christmas!
TTYL

Being kind of lazy today but did get Lower Leg Blast done this mornig. Doing a bit of packing, sort of torn between getting some packing done as I have time this week but yet it seems a bit early to me. Just doing some of the Christmas decorations, china, stuff like that.

Today is mom's birthday so we are going out to dinner. Girls only! Mom, her 3 daughters and 2 granddaughters. We just decided to do something a little more quiet after all the big family dinners.

Jo Safe driving! Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Ibo is really leaving his mark on your household isn't he;)

Cendrine Is it possible that some of the kb workouts could be modified enough to be low impact? Some of them are mostly just punches and kick.
LOL on the IKEA decorators coming to your house! That would be great!! Well I have to order some kind of window coverings for the whole house so might as well do it right from the beginning. I don't want to know what that bill might be. I'm going to get them to do all the common rooms like the kitchen, great room, dining room but will probably handle the bedrooms myself. Maybe I'll try sewing the bedroom curtains:rolleyes:

Rachael DD is a real girly girl. I expected that after 10 mins of sking that she would be too cold, it was too hard, etc and that would be it. But she actually skied for almost a hour with only a few falls and she didn't complain about falling. Maybe she is maturing! It'll be great if we can start going on family ski outings. You've been energetic today! I'm sure I've told you before, but IMAX 2 is my all time favourite workout! Do you like that one! The 9th blast is a killer!!!

We're been spoiled with nice weather over the holiday but this evening the thermometer is going way down! Going to the minus 30s with high winds and snow.:(:( I'm back to work for Thursday and Friday.

Well I don't know how I ever find time to work! Let me summarize... Got up this morning to 6 inches of snow. We're planning to go to mom's after my PT appt (so leave around noon). DH had to meet a client early so when I got up he was gone. I get up, eat breakfast, pack and wait for DH to come home as he's dropping me at PT since it's still snowing... DH calls and says we're not going until tomorrow since the fence guys couldn't come finish today because of the snow and he had found a couple of issues with the posts he wants to have fixed so wants to be here when they come tomorrow. (That was a mouthful!) You guys will like this...so DH drops me at PT and when he comes back to get me he says: Oh, I know why you wanted to change PT's...because they have Cathe medicine balls in the windows! LOL! They do! They have about 6 of them - the ones with the handles sitting on a windowsill right in front. So from there, DH and I went and did errands, Costco, etc. Also went and checked out a self-service dog bath - it was pretty cool, for $20 you bath your dog and they provide everything. Really nice setup and very clean. Run by a very young entreprenuer - this guy that's only about 25. Then came home and got busy doing "stuff" but I don't know what! LOL! Oh, I've been picking up and we cleaned the refrigerator, stuff like that. So, hopefully the fence guys come tomorrow but now it's supposed to be real icey and if it is they won't be able to get up our hill. Again, hopefully they'll get here, DH will talk to them and we'll be on our way. My mom is really excited about meeting Ibo. Oh and DH packed a bag for him with his food, toys, brush, leash, etc. Just like packing up a baby!

I'm doing multiple posts as I don't trust this computer. Back to the computer, I think I fixed it. But we're still having Internet issues so I don't trust I won't lose my posts.

Cendrine, I've been meaning to comment on your vest! I'm so glad you are getting good use out of it! I've used mine quite a bit last year and was glad I made that purchase! I think your cardio subs sound good - for substituting MMA does it bother your back to do upper cuts and some of those moves that cause more oblique twists? Tell us a little more of what your limitations are and then we can help with subs. I might have a couple of ideas. If you come up here and visit your in-laws you can definitely meet Ibo! You'll want him! LOL!

Rachel, I'm so glad you're using the samples already on the Kindle! My mom is fixing me a big batch of beans for when we get there - she makes great beans. She asked me what kind I wanted and I told her to fix me pintos! LOL! Have you discovered the dictionary? That's probably my single most favorite feature of the Kindle! One thing you do need to do is regularly check the free books on Amazon (I check once a week). Lots of times they'll have put a book that is the first volume of a series (obviously to get you to buy) on for free or some book you may have been eyeballing will suddenly drop in price or go free. Yes, I'm glad you discovered the samples! That's a great way to decide whether to purchase or not. Also, if you read the classics (I do), don't buy the books on Amazon with the pink pictures that are often free. They are not indexed. Most of the classics can be bought for less than $5, often $1.99 and they will be indexed. Don't ever spend money on a nonindexed book - it will drive you out of your mind! Any of the regular books are indexed. These pink nonindexed books were some of the early books that were digitized by the Gutenberg Project and not from the publishers - it was a group of volunteers that digitized like 30,000 books (or something like that). It's not all classics, I think later ones are okay. But on Amazon, they usually have a pink book drawing and not a regular book picture (hope that makes sense!). I'm a huge fan of Charles Dickens and bought all his works for $5.49. It includes all his books and other writings - over 200 pieces of work. So there's some great deals. Usually most best sellers are $9.99, but now that ebooks have become so popular some of them now cost more. If you wait just a little bit (like waiting for something to come out on paperback) the price will be reduced to $5 - $7.xx. There's a little info for tonight. Hope that helps you a little! Oh and I've actually discovered a couple of great new authors from getting free books!

Oh and Cendrine, the kindle app on the phone is okay and very useful when you want to read something! It gives you a little taste of the kindle but obviously is very limited on features. Great for the Dr's office! I also have the kindle app on my PC so all the devices synchronize but of course you control what you download on each device. You should try it!

Kim, Happy Birthday to your mom! What a wonderful treat for her to have all the girls! My mom's birthday was on Tuesday (the 28th). We'll probably celebrate on Friday evening. Did you get lots of pictures? I'll bet it was nice to have a little lower key get together after Xmas! Really, the holidays can be exhausting can't they? Hope in between packing you get a little time to yourself!

Okay, I need to tell you guys more about my shoulder, but I need to get to bed. So I'll try and give you those details tomorrow.

TTYL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.