***>---6 Month Alumni---<*** December 19, 2010

Happy Sunday! I just got up and am amazed at how fast I seem to be improving. I woke up with not even ab tightness this morning! But as with yesterday, I'm sure it'll change as the day goes on.

Not much going on - I'm going to go do my arm exercises the PT gave me. Can you believe we're just days from Xmas? Where did the year go?

Cendrine, if you come to Bellevue this year, I'll be here! :D Sorry things are so stressful for DH and his fellow coworkers! Hope it all improves in the new year. That is so exciting to find out what's causing the flare ups!

I love hearing about you guys making cookies since I haven't even thought about cookies! LOL! I'm still trying to decide whether to do Xmas cards.

TTYL!

Lower Leg Blast done! I've done all 4 new workouts now. I've really enjoyed them. I think STS Total Body was my least favourite but I had some equipment issues as well as I think I started out too heavy and trouble finishing so will give it a second chance. I'm going to try and run through them all again this week and again the week after Christmas. That will give me just 4 workouts/week and so some extra downtime over the holidays then I'll look at the January rotation.

How's that puppy doing Jo? How old is he again? That comment about some nostalgic happening this Christmas is probably very insightful. I was reading The Girl who Played with Fire in bed last night and I couldn't fall asleep because the violence in the book was bothering me so I put the book away and tried to think of something nice. So I started to think of the new house but then started to get so excited about the move that I couldn't sleep! LOL

Going to head over to the house after lunch as they were busying working all week but didn't want us to come in to see the house because of the safety issues with so many guys working. So going to go over this afternoon when nobody should be working to see what they all accomplished.

This afternoon, ds's curling league is having a fun parent vs. kids curling match. I've never curled in my life!!!:eek: (okay, I did once in Grade 5 gym class) A coworker lent me a broom and a slider and I'll give it a try. My coworkers warned me not to come back with any broken bones.:cool:

Cendrine, maybe in a few years, our dd's can do all our holiday food prep for us while we relax:cool:. Any chances of DH's workload improving in the near future? Maybe they can hire extra staff?

It's a very rainy weekend here! We are just kind of taking it easy today and maybe I'll get into making some cookies later....

Kim, I had to laugh when I read your thoughts wandering from a not so fun story to the house and then getting too excited to go to sleep! LOL! That could have been me, I tell you! I always do this to myself! I try to think of something to get me to dial down and it gets me going on a whole other rabbit trail! LOL!

I'm glad you enjoyed all the workouts, I really like them too! I was going to do them like you until the new year, but now that I have found this book with exercises and stretches and stuff, I'm thinking of working on those for the next two weeks and then start with STS 6- month rotation in January. Obviously it is going to be modified, especially the cardio. The book stresses that swimming and walking are the best cardio for healing a bulging disc, so I guess I'm going to do that to try to give my body the chance to start and continue the healing process even as I am getting into a long rotation. One of the issues too is that I should not bend and twist the spine at the same time, so am going to have to watch that and become aware of me doing it. I do it so often, it's not funny, like every time I get in and out of the car!

Jo, I'm so happy to hear you are healing so well! I'll totally let you know if we show up in Bellevue! No reservations made so far though.... I don't think things are going to calm down for a while. The downside to layoffs are that the people on top think that the work is still getting done so why should they rehire...They don't realize they are burning every one out.... January should be a little bit better only because it is not an end of quarter month of having to try to close up as many open ends as possible for number's sake, if you know what I mean. But orders are still coming in at an incredible amount for the people available to process them.... So how's Ibo doing today? He sounds so nice!

Rachel, what are you up to today? I hope you are doing well!

Oh my goodness! This is the first time I have had to myself all day. Sorry about no check in yesterday. DH and I got busy doing stuff around here and then today was our early Christmas dinner with my FIL. I thought I picked a pretty simple menu but I have been in the kitchen all day! Plus I was trying to get the laundry done and the house cleaned on top of that.:rolleyes:
Isn't it funny how it can take you all day to cook and then it gets devoured in under thirty minutes ...LOL Oh well Dinner was great and now they are in there watching a movie...The Fourth Kind. Have yall seen that? It is absolutely too creepy for me to watch again. (DH and I have seen it before:confused:)

I have the simplest but I think the best Christmas cookie recipe.
Just 4 ingredients.

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cup all purp. flour

Preheat oven to 375
Whip butter with electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in the confectioners sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Beat on low for one minute, then on high for 3 or 4 min. Drop cookies by the spoonful about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 12 to 15 min.. Watch so the edges don't brown too much.

I only had mine in the oven for about 7 to 8 min. It just depends on how thick they are I guess. These are so good!!! Then I melt some almond bark and dip the bottoms in there. YUM

Jo-First things first!!! Yeah You got IBO!!!!!! I am do excited to hear all the new adventures. When I read your post yesterday, I had to call DH in here to see the pics. He wanted me to tell you how cute he thought he was! ;)
I think it is wonderful that you are recovering so well. I know it is because you are in great shape!
The apples and cinnamon sound great!

Kim-It seems like I was the same way with STS TB. But I did it yesterday and it felt great. I think once you have a feel for the weight you need you are going to like it too. I just like how fast it moves and now that I kind of feel like I know my weight increments, I feel like I nailed it this time.
I am sure it is a little bit of all the things you talked about...The post vacation blahs and back to work and just being tired in general from the fast pace you are in.
So how did the house look today?

Cendrine-Sorry about DH's stress at work. I know how that goes for you. Although DH and I work together I know he carries the stress differently than I do. I think it helps us in a way because we see it from different ways.
I'm glad you finally found some info on your back that seems like it is going to help with the healing. This day and age it is easy to be inundated with so much wrong info.

OK...I am pooped and I still need to strip the bed so I will check in tomorrow. INTENSITY!:eek:

Well I survived curling. I didn't do throw any spectacular rocks but I didn't embarrass myself, it was fun! It was good that dd and I had baked cookies yesterday as ds happen to mention as we were leaving that we supposed to bring something for a little get together afterwards:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good exercise plan Cendrine! Are the exercises in the book different that what you were doing with the chiro?

Jo I'm glad that you're healing so quickly! Are you off work this week?

Rachael I haven't seen that movie but I don't watch many movies mostly tv shows. The house looked great! They did the rough-in the plumbing for the basement so the city inspector has to come check it and then the basement floored can be poured. Upstairs they had just done a lot of finishing work such as the fireplace mantel, handrails, door frames, closet doors. It's looking more like a house! I saw a chair, and a bench that would match our living room furniture today. That great room is so much bigger than what we have now I would love to get some more pieces so more people can sit. I would love to get it early as I figure there will be lots of visitors in the first few weeks. Might go pick them up tomorrow.

Good Morning!!!
Well what a way to start the week! Intensity is done! Whooo! Yes I think the marathon analogy still applies! LOL I am starting to think that is always going to be a tough workout. I think this is the first time I have done a rotation that really repeats so few workouts so much though. I am really getting to know these workouts.

I am not sure what is on the agenda today. I just can't believe it is just 4 days until Christmas Eve. We always go to my MIL's for Christmas Eve dinner so that is our plans for that evening and then my family will all be here for Christmas day. I am really looking forward to all the kids. They all get so excited over the littlest things.:D
Then the 26th is DH's b-day and I think we are supposed to go to his dad's for that. So it is going to be one full weekend!

Kim-Since we do not have basements here really I did not realize that they don't pour the floor immediately. I just figured that would all be done when all the rest of the concrete was done. That is interesting.
I love new furniture. Whenever I get anything new I am so excited to just walk by and see it fitting in just how I thought it might.LOL
I can hear how excited you are getting! Are the kids getting super excited too?

Hey Cendrine and Jo...Hope yall are having a great Monday!:p

Rachel, those cookies sound dangerous! Speaking of dangerous, we just gota Harry and David tower with truffles....
Today was my first day of doing the recommended stretches and other exercises, it went well and I have to say, after a week of doing all the stuff for relief, I'm feeling pretty good!
I got some stuff from the store for added therapy and am hoping to be settling into a good routine quickly.
Kim, did you go and get that furniture? We just went to Ikea yesterday to look at a new kitchen table. They have some really nice big ones! Ours is tiny compared to it! But boy, the chairs are going to add up! LOL
Jo, how are you feeling today?

Today is our 20th wedding anniversary:D:D:D:D

Our real estate agent dropped off a $100 gift certificate to a nice restaurant and a poinsetta as a thank you gift on the weekend so I think DH and I will use it tomorrow:) Tonight ds has a hockey game so will wait till tomorrow.

No workout for me yesterday as I had incredible DOMS in my quads!!!! I think it was from STS TB on Sat. but Lower Body Blast on Sunday didn't exactly help. Very busy evening yesterday so didn't have time for a workout anyways. I had ordered Christmas cards with a family picture and they came in yesterday so worked hard to write little notes and stuff and got them all mailed out. DH and I went to the furniture store and he loved the furniture as much as I did so we bought them. A little accent chair and a bench that can convert to a coffee table and has two little footstools in side. Way too much furniture for this living room but should be perfect for the new house.

Rachael I am getting so excited for the new house, I'm always picturing where everything is going to go. The next month as we pack will drive me crazy as I will hate the mess as I like to be organized. Sounds like a busy but fun week for you! It does seem strange that the basement floor has not been poured. The concrete is poured throught the window. Everything is looking so nice upstairs and downstairs it's just mud. I know there is a good reason they do it that way but I can't remember what it is.

Cendrine I love IKEA! I think if we had one locally I would have some furniture from there. I alwys stop by when we're in Minneapolis but can only get small things. Are the kids getting excited for Christmas. My kids have school until tomorrow but I don't know how much work they are actually doing this week.

I'm going to try really hard to get a workout in this evening!

Jo Hope you and Iko are doing well!

Happy Tuesday! We ended up having a steady stream of unexpected company on Sunday, which was fun, as several different sets of friends came by to meet Ibo! LOL! I then spent the rest of Sunday evening finishing my weekend chores. Then yesterday I went into the office for a few hours and ended up working all day as I decided to take the rest of the year off. I found out I have a ton of unused vacation time so I'm going to use it! DH spent all day at home clearing the fence line (remember I have tons of trees) getting ready for the fence guys only to discover our property line markers have vamoosed. So he has to have the surveyors come out and they can't come until Thursday which means fence won't happen until next week.

Ibo in the meantime is getting more and more comfortable and we're having a ton of fun with him! When I came home last night he greeted me as if he'd always been with us. He is such a character and has been behaving pretty good until last night. My main workout area is in our bedroom and I have mats down. We had just gone to bed and were just drifting off to sleep when I heard this strange plunk noise...I flipped the light back on and jumped up and saw Ibo was starting to destroy my mats! Fortunately he had torn only a little bit off of the end of the corner mat - you know one of those knobs where the mats puzzle together? But we can't have that!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KIM!!!

May you have a wonderful day and be able to reflect on great memories and think of the great memories ahead! Like a new house!!! May your day be special!

Kim, how sweet of your agent to give you the gift certificate! Truly hope you have a nice day. Your new furniture pieces sound cute! Oh fun to start getting stuff for the new place! I'm wondering if part of the reason they pour your concrete that way is because of your cold weather. I don't think they pour concrete if the temperature goes below freezing and if they pour and your weather changes quickly it can cause a lot of problems. I'm just guessing of course but maybe having the house up helps insulate against sudden weather change.

Cendrine, I've had those towers before and they are decadent! We sent DH mother H&D fruit of the month for Xmas. Their stuff is awesome! I always stop in there when I'm at the mall for a little free sample of their coffee. Glad the stretches are working for you so far. I really hope it makes a difference for you! Oh and I've been reading about your weather! Hope your feet aren't webbed now! LOL!

Rachel, thanks for the cookie recipe (I think!) LOL! Those are some of those dangerous kind! You sound so excited about the workouts; it's making me really feel deprived not to be able to do them! I'm thinking I might just do some TM work today. I really feel good but probably shouldn't spin yet as I'll probably pop some internal stitches! I really do feel great! I appreciate what you're saying about spending all that time cooking and then it's gone in an instance - but hopefully they'll remember how wonderful your food is and what a great cook you are!

Well, I better get around. I have a hair appt at 12:30. DH took Ibo with him to work for a few hours. I still need to do Xmas cards or something! Kim, you made me remember I haven't done that yet! LOL!

TTYL!

Well poop...haha I did write a post this morning but it disappeared again:rolleyes: I guess it is a good thing it was a shorty. We got a call to do a little job here in town today and basically that is all I told you guys. So not really that much of a loss.

I did get up this morning at 4 :)eek:) and did my workout. I was really surprised that I was feeling pretty awake since I have not been up that early in a good while. It kind of felt good , believe it or not! LOL It was High Reps and I just love that workout. I feel really worked all over when it is over!

Jo-Boo on the needed survey. I swear that always happens to us when we plan something like that to be done. There is always something that needs to be done that we just either forgot about or didn't know about at all.
Sounds like DH is really loving having a buddy to tag along with him. It also sounds like Ibo is liking tagging along. Hopefully the chewing on the mat thing was an isolated incident. Maybe he just didn't know he wasn't supposed to chew on that mat.;)
Don't worry you are going to be better than back to normal when you are healed up and then there will be no stopping you on the new workouts!

Kim-Yeah on all the new furniture!!!!Is there anything else you are planning to get for the new house that you don't already have? I know I will probably never move to a new house but we change our house so much that it is like a new house. haha I was thinking just the other day how weird it would be to not be remodeling something.:rolleyes:
HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! It seems like all of us have been married quite a while. Of course DH and I will have married only 12 yrs at the end of this month but we have been together for 17. Yall are going to have a great dinner on the gift certificate! Any other plans?

Cendrine-Yes the cookies are dangerous!!! That is why they are only in this house around Christmas. For some reason it does not bother me that bad to indulge a little around Christmas. I think that is way I stay so diligent on the workouts at this time too.
Oh I meant to say you deserve every accolade about your home schooling! I have met many parents that do not put the effort in like you do.
Christmas menu yet???

OK since we kicked this jobs' butt today, I am pretty tired... so off to relax!

Well, I guess I'm going to jury duty on Jan. 6th. They denied my request. I really don't mind going. It seems like I get a jury summons every couple of years and my manager always offers to write a letter that there is no one to cover me while I'm gone so patient care will be compromised. This is true we don't have a casual pool of staff like nurses do when someone is gone on holidays the other therapists just have to see more patients and patients are priorized. I guess I've asked for to many exemptions and I need to go this time. It's funny how much advice I've gotten already, people keep telling me if I say how much I love the police or hate criminals or whatever that I'll get out of serving. I'm not lying on the stand in front of a judge!! Even I wanted too, I'm a terrible liar it wouldn't work.

Jo I can't believe how well you're healing! You really have vacation time that you didn't know about?? I always have every hour accounted for, LOL. OH, bad puppy chewing on the mats! I remember when our dogs were little, they were quite destructive!

Rachael What a busy day you've had! I did High Reps today as well! Seem easier than last time so maybe I was just a little low energy last week. We need to buy a tv and a dishwasher for the new house. Leaving the old dishwasher here, it's old and doesn't match. In the new house, the tv goes above the fireplace so we need something thin and we have all big old ones that wouldn't fit up there. Going to do some shopping at the Boxing Day sales.

Cendrine Are you still homeschooling this week or taking a break??

Kim, you saying that you need a tv for the fireplace reminds me of our journey... our old big bulky tv started giving out (actually it wasn't even that old, but it was old it the age of flat screen, anyway) but so dh decided he wanted a flat screen and that all the other ones aren't really available any more (at Costco, that is....LOL) He found a good deal and got it... So of course it is too big for our cabinet, which I think he knew, but here we are, we have a new tv and nowhere to put it....LOL! So that's when the search for tv cabinet begins.... which leads us to Ikea finally and we found a beautiful one that looks almost like it's a built in and the best part is that all our other stuff, dvds, music, even workout stuff can all be fit out of sight.... But of course it needs to be assembled, so now our family room is covered with loose bits and pieces of the whole and since dh doesn't have a week off, he works on it a little every night....:rolleyes: I think it took two weeks until it was finally up...LOL but we love it and it looks really nice, and this year, hopefully we can get a table that matches for the adjoining kitchen...
All this to say, I hope you find a good deal! Flat screens are nice, this coming from a not so techie person, probably says something... not sure what....;)
Congratulations on your annniversary! I hope you had a wonderful time out!
I'm like you, I can't lie, if I tried it would show... I'll be interested to hear how it all goes. Chances are you won't be on the jury even if you don't say anything that automatically gets you off. Dh has been called to jury duty a lot and he was only selected once. If you even just know of someone who has had something similar happen to them like the case is about, they probably won't want you, at least one side won't want you....

Jo, I know having your workout stuff chewed on is not something I would, like but I still had to smile when you described it! You have a little mischief on your hands, don't you? So much like kids! I hope Ibo does well until the fence goes up!
It's wise for you to be careful as far as workouts go. Which reminds me I did my tm walk with cathe's vest today! It's a nifty thing, I have to say and I did feel more worked, so I love it! The exercises are going well and I am feeling very optimistic!

Rachel, good job getting up so early! I didn't work out until 10am today...:eek: But hey, it's christmas break, and yes, Kim, we're taking it. I feel we need it all of us. But I still managed to be busy all day:rolleyes: Maybe tomorrow will be more calm!

Well I hit the ground running today and this is the first time I have sit down. Everyone else must be busy too!

We are trying to get a few things done around here before Christmas company is upon us so we have been busy all day. Now tomorrow is when the cooking starts and I don't think it will stop until after DH's birthday on Sunday.

Workout was the cardio and abs from Cardio and Weights. It was supposed to be SS run on TM so I subbed:D

Cendrine-Just like you and Kim, I can not tell a lie to save my life. LOL DH is the type that doesn't lie about anything even if I cringe thinking he should spare "their" feelings and maybe not tell the whole truth ...haha He just is pretty straight forward but I guess that is better than being a big ole liar.:rolleyes:
It is great that yall are taking Christmas break. Are yall taking the full 2 weeks?

Kim-Boo on jury duty but maybe you will get released the same day. I don't know how they do it there but here they call over a hundred people on one day and then end up only keeping very little of that hundred. I am sure in bigger cities they even call more than that. Of course I have only lived in this little one all my life.LOL

Jo-How are you feeling and how is Ibo today? Did DH get him a Christmas present too? I forgot to ask what SS thinks about the new addition to the family.

Well, I have been busy too, it seems when you are taking time off for a break that time flies even faster....
The kids are enjoying their break even though they don't like it that I won't let them watch movies whenever they ask (they think because they are on break they should get unlimited screen time...LOL)
It's funny how creative they do get once they realize they better entertain themsleves...;)
Rachel, I just did C&W weight portion myself yesterday, how funny!
Today I did tm walk and just the exercises and stretches from the book. Tomorrow after cardio, I am thinking of giving Push and Pull a try.
If it keeps raining like this, I'm afraid we are going to have to grow fins...:eek:

Well, hands down, sounds like the four of us won't be going on a crime spree! LOL! I can't lie either and believe me I've tried! LOL! Actually I can't even tell a lie to someone I don't know! In fact whenever I cross the Canadian border I act guilty for being innocent! I'm always afraid I'm going to be falsely accused of something! HAHA!

So I just came from the Physical Therapist and you guys are going to find this every interesting. He said I (and this goes for you guys too) should NEVER do overhead presses, lateral raises or front raises with palms facing down. Remember I continued to do those exercises because they don't bother my shoulder? He said they are probably why I've continued to get worse since I wasn't already healed. He said he'll tell me next time what we should do instead. But tell me, how many Cathe workouts do those exercises??? Anyway, the movement of those aggrevate the rotator cuff and the older we get the more it wears away at the (forgot name here) something in there. On front raises, he says they are okay to do if we do them palms inward/thumbs up.

Oh someone just drove up...be back...

Wow, Jo, how interesting! I think just about all Cathe workouts use palm down raises! I actually like the thumbs up version a lot, so maybe I'll start doing that from now on! Do keep us posted as he tells you more! This is very interesting!

I had to laugh about looking guilty for being innocent! LOL! That's me right there! You're right, no bank robbing crew on this Thread!:p

Extra time this morning because the kids have no school!! We actually live not far from the hospital wher I work so quick easy commute today and tomorrow!! DH and I went out for our anniversay dinner yesterday and had a lovely time! The restaurant was very busy so we were there quite awhile so no workout. I sure haven't been making time for my workouts since I"ve been home from holidays, if I have the evening free I work out and if I don't I don't get up early or anything. Just enjoying a bit of a Christmas break.

LOL, on the crime spree. The border can make even the most innocent person feel guilty.

Cendrine, my kids are home alone today and I'm sure they will be having lots of "screen time":rolleyes: I bet I find dd in pjs when I come home.

Good morning!
I had to laugh at the guilty innocents we all must be...Makes you wonder how the border control can tell if you are just nervous or guilty! LOL

Today I am going to try and get all my pre prep work done. I don't have a whole lot but I have to agree with you Cendrine, the more time you have the faster it seems to go. I think in my case, I must get a little bit more lazy about just hopping into action.:rolleyes: If I was working alot...I would have been up a few hrs earlier today and probably would have had 2 loads of laundry done and a couple batches of cookies going but here it is 10 o clock and I just started my first load and I thought I would come in here and check in and ladedadeda! haha
I know one thing is for sure...I am not leaving the house today whatsoever!!! I think I have had to make unexpected trips to town everyday this week and I am ready to just be home for the day.

Cendrine-I have been watching all the news coverage of the flooding and the mud slides! It just looks like a mess for a lot of people and right here at Christmas! IT is just terrible. I am assuming that yall are out of all harms way of any flooding or slides.?

Jo-Wow on all the info the pt is giving you...I wonder what we can do in place of some of those palm down exercises? Will side lat raises with palms facing in work or is that too much stress too I wonder? This is very interesting and it does make sense now why you were not getting any better.

Kim-How long are the kids out from school? Our kids around here are out until after the new year.
THe anni. dinner sounds nice. The added time together due to the crowds is sometimes a pleasant surprise.

OK off to get started:rolleyes:
Have a great Christmas Eve Eve.:p

Well sorry I didn't get back yesterday. We had some unexpected company and then I sat up until all hours getting ALL my Christmas cards done so they could hit the mail today (especially all of DH's family). So I'm actually off now to shower and then have a few errands and then want to get back so I can tackle the laundry (ala Rachel :D) and get some cleaning done. We have some last minute plans for tomorrow night as some friends are joining us for Xmas eve so now I need to run get goceries and a couple decorations and then get home and clean! Isn't family strange? So we are going to my mom's sometime next week so we were going to have low key, just the three of us evening tomorrow. Our Seattle BF's called last night to see if we were going out of town as they got uninvited from his family dinner because both her kids are home from college and then there will be too many people for dinner at his sisters house?!?!? Say what? Of course they are hurt. So I said, well come have dinner with us! That just boggles my mind! Anyway, I need to get around and get going so I don't have to fight for parking spots!

I should be able to get back on later and resume where I left off!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.