5 ft 3 and under May 26

tobermory

Cathlete
Hi,

I am posting early because I wanted to get opinions here on the whole "I am short and have strong legs but don't want to look like a hobbit" issue. How heavy are you all going on leg work? I think my thighs are beginning to get a wee bit bigger than I would like. They don't have any fat on them, but the muscle is getting bigger. Maybe I should not go over 35 or 40 pounds? What do y'all do?

Thanks,
Tobermory

P.S. I am going to do Cardio and Weights, probably, or maybe Step Jump and Pump. And then a workout on my new Wii active, which is fun and more intense than wii fit, but not killer.

I guess it is about perspective. I am 5'2" and danced for over 20 years. My legs, needless to say, were very strong. I am very thin so my problems came down to not fitting in pants b/c they're made for 13 yr kids with no shape. I love having strong looking legs - especially being thin and very fed up with people assuming I just don't eat. Right now I am doing STS and lifting far heavier than I ever did and I am loving the definition.

For deadlifts I do 64 lb total (I only have max 30 lb dumbbells plus weighted gloves, no barbell yet). Squats I am up to 76 lb (using dumbbells and weighted vest) and I always do 20-30 lbs calf raises. Lunges I am up to 26 lbs each hand. Static lunges I do about 20-25 lbs each hand.

I think cardio is a major must in keeping trim and I do about 5 hours a week. I have always heard that running is a super duper way to trim down legs and have found that to be true for me as well.

Not sure if that has helped you much at all....

Heather

Good Morning,

Tonite I am going to do Leslie Sansones walking off the pounds. I have never done one of her workouts but saw them on demand and decided to give it a try.

Heather-your post is perfect timing. I measured today and my hips are just not moving so I need to do some more cardio. I either need to get up and go for a walk in the morning or workout in the morning and do my walk in the evening but I need to change things p.

Cathy-welcome to the group. I to find my lower body responds better to cardio. I am currently doing Chalean Extreme and although its upper body mixed with lower body I don't feel it is working. I can't go heavy enough for the legs because of the upper body moves.

I think I am going to do the double cardio premix from 4DS and STS back and biceps (which finishes up Meso 2).

Hope everyone has a great day!
Heather

Hello Ladies,

Hoping you had a great Memorial Day Weekend. I had a great weekend, busy but good, we finally finish our boy's room it looks nice and clean. I ate way to many burgers this weekend, but had a fun time with my kids. Today's workout was bis, tris, and shoulders followed by a 6 mile run, trying to burn all those calories I ate. Will be back later to post my eats. Have a great day everyone!

Lourdes

Hi,

I am posting early because I wanted to get opinions here on the whole "I am short and have strong legs but don't want to look like a hobbit" issue. How heavy are you all going on leg work? I think my thighs are beginning to get a wee bit bigger than I would like. They don't have any fat on them, but the muscle is getting bigger. Maybe I should not go over 35 or 40 pounds? What do y'all do?

Thanks,
Tobermory

P.S. I am going to do Cardio and Weights, probably, or maybe Step Jump and Pump. And then a workout on my new Wii active, which is fun and more intense than wii fit, but not killer.

Hi,

A few months ago I was doing heavy lifting working each body once a week with just 2-3 days of cardio, and I too starting seeing my legs get bigger and muscular, with me being as short as I am did not to appealing to me (at least that's what I thought) In order to change that I change my routine a bit I'm still squatting about the same #75 but do alot more reps and work legs twice a week plus I know do cardio 6 times a week and mainly running, I was amazed on how quickly my legs shrunk but remain muscular but trim. Good luck!

Lourdes

I know what you mean

I've got the whole muscular leg thing going on too. The running has helped slim down my thigh/calve area the best even though I still have the muscle. I find that yoga helps too, I know it seems counter intuitive to do something low intensity but the way I understand it is that you move lymph fluid out of the tissues and lymph fluid when it is not moved is moved into the fat cells making everything worse. I'm focusing mostly on body weight exercises now. I do work my lower body by hiking up serious hills. I do my upper body by pulling weeds and working in the garden. I hit my abs with my advanced yoga. I should add in one strength training session per week, I've just been a little lazy lately :eek:

This morning was Step Works on one set of risers. I think I could have gone to two risers cause I was only in my THR for 30 min. Tonight is Yoga for Beginners. It was about a 500 calorie burn.

Eats:
AM 1 hardboiled egg,
Post WO 1/2 c. steel cut oatmeal, 1/4 cup. blueberries, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 c. watermelon
Snack: Small organic apple 3 oz. roast chicken
Lunch: spinach salad with olive oil and walnuts
Snack: green Bell pepper 3 oz. roast chicken
Dinner: Zucchini and Buttermilk Fried steak (made with Almond meal)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.