robyn6002

Cathlete
Wow! I'm finally getting there are really 5 components to success

cardio
strength
diet
rest
flexibility

I've always been pretty good on 1 and 2 but it really takes all 5 for the long haul! for so long I just focused on 1 and 2 (pretty good on 3 and sometimes good on 4 and never on 5). Diet is not just depriving oneself but being sure to get PLENTY of the good stuff. Rest is key for muscle rebuilding and also for being able to totally bring it for the next workout. Flexibility will allow us to be working out into our 50s, 60s, 70s!

Anyhow just a light bulb moment for me - sure took me a long time to get it!

Make it a great day

You're so right, Robyn. Especially when saying that diet doesn't just mean deprivation, but it's about being good to your body and giving it what it needs to perform well. Can you imagine how ridiculous it is to empty your gas tank and then expect your car to take you anywhere?

The 6th component that is critical is genetics. We all won't look like Tony or Cathe even if we shadow them for a year and copy their every move and mouthful. But we can do our best with what we've got!

Cheers,
Sandra

I completely agree with you Robyn. Ever since starting Cathe, I learned that rest and diet are so important to your success. Tony has stepped it up a notch for me. I absolutely love how strong and flexible I am getting now. Those five factors are so key.

Lea

I agree, we need all five. Flexibility was what I was lacking in most. Adding it in has made a big difference in my workouts.

By the way Robyn, you look absolutely fantastic in your pictures. Your hard work shows! :)

There are two others; "endurance and muscle confusion" :)

You are right on the money with the rest. Wish more people could think your way.

I had to edit to tell you how wonderful you look. It's working very well for you.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

The light bulb might have taken a while to turn on, but it burns quite brightly!
I think you've hit it right.

One problem people have, though, is to think of only one meaning of 'diet'(special regimen one follows for a limited amount of time in order to lose weight) rather than its more encompassing meaning of 'what one eats.'

Can somebody artistic make a nice visual of these five elements for us? Like maybe a pentagon shape with Davinci's man (make that 'workout woman') in the center? That would be a cool reminder!

Thank you for pointing at the 5 componets. I think we often forget. At least I know I do.

I have the resting down no problem and my cardio has gotten so much better. I love cardio now that I have found Cathe and these boards. Working out is no longer a chore but something I look forward too.

My diet and strength need ALOT of work.}( My flexability also needs some work.

I agree a nice visual would be an awesome reminder.

Jenn

Kathryn - I love that idea! Hmmm wish I was good in graphic desgin.

Interesting how most people quickly catch on to the cardio workouts and strength workouts but don't balance with rest and flexibility workouts. I certainly was one of them! I guess this is the whole ying and yang thing!

Re diet have stayed pretty "small" by eliminating the bad food - but was missing the good stuff. I've begun focusing more now on have I had my veggies, protein, fruit. Amazing what a huge change a mind set can make!

Anyhow glad you folks agree. These are really key! The best is the results are great and then the "appearance" is a nice icing on the cake but certainly not the be all and end all!

Thanks for the congrats on my results - I was going to post a thread with the results but decided instead for a more subtle signature :)

>The light bulb might have taken a while to turn on, but it
>burns quite brightly!
>I think you've hit it right.
>
>One problem people have, though, is to think of only one
>meaning of 'diet'(special regimen one follows for a limited
>amount of time in order to lose weight) rather than its more
>encompassing meaning of 'what one eats.'
>
>Can somebody artistic make a nice visual of these five
>elements for us? Like maybe a pentagon shape with Davinci's
>man (make that 'workout woman') in the center? That would be
>a cool reminder!

I'm going to ask my DD to do that! If she agrees, I'll show you.:)

Here's my DD's take on the Davinci workout woman showing the 5 components -- it came out a little small:
208775550.jpg

cool.. anyway you can make it a bit bigger? I think I'm getting old - huh!

I like this idea a lot :) The coolest with this approach is the gains are strength, endurance, flexibility, and health and the appearance is the icing on the cake! Really the way it should be :)

good list. I suggest adding "Persistence" On again off again with the 5 is better than nothing at all, but consistency really pays off.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.