5/2 Diet

janiejoey

Cathlete
Anyone try this diet and if so what can you tell me about your experience? All your opinions are valuable to me, so let me know what you think. I learn so much here.

Been thinking about trying this diet for 2 months along with my Paleo Diet and natural fermented foods, to see what will happen to my body. Alzheimer runs in my family and this diet has a good chance to help me prevent it.

Below is Scientific Research and results from this diet. Of course not all the evidence is in yet, and nutritionist don't recommend this until further studies are done. There may be risks for certain people as shown below.

What you do is eat 5 days normally and on two nonconsecutive days you eat up to 500 calories for women and 600 calories for men or eat only 1/4th the calories of what you normally eat, on each of those fasting days. Eat whatever time is good for you during those days. You can break the calories up or eat those calories in one sitting. Drink water, coffee and green tea through out the day. That's what I'm understanding about how to implement the diet.

Studies conducted by the Baltimore National Institute on Aging reveal that fasting once or twice a week lowers Insulin-like growth factor 1 ( IGF-1 ) levels; a lower IGF-1 level encourages fat burning and can protect the brain against diseases such as Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.[3] Tests conducted on mice have revealed that controlling the levels of IGF-1 through fasting can promote longevity; high levels of IGF-1 in later life promote aging, although it is needed in youth for growth.[2] However, the general medical consensus is that fasting has not been researched extensively enough to determine if there are benefits.[2] Villagers in Ecuador suffering from the extremely rare Laron syndrome in which they cannot produce IGF-1 have shown an immunity to diseases such as cancer and diabetes, as well as exceptional longevity.[2] But they exhibit extremely short stature and typically stand less than 1.2m (4 ft) tall, due to restrictions on the hormone in childhood development.[2]

Results and criticism
Dr. Michael J. Mosley, largely responsible for popularizing the diet after he featured in a BBC2 Horizon documentary Eat, Fast & Live Longer in August 2012, went on the diet for at least six weeks. He tested himself on the first Friday and discovered that he had lost 2 lb of body fat, his blood glucose levels had fallen dramatically, and his IGF-1 levels had halved. He lost 14 pounds (6.4 kg) and 25% of his body fat in six weeks on the diet, with improved cholesterol and blood sugar.[2] Nutritionists have observed that intermittent diets, such as 5:2, can trigger problems for those with eating disorders such as anorexia or binging.[5]

Janie

Last edited:
I just saw a report on this last night on PBS and it's peaked my interest too so I'm interested to see what people think also. My husband said he'd be up for doing it with me so that would make it easier.

Can't wait to read what people think.

Cindy

Janie,
I don't know if you are a myfitnesspal user, but if you are, you should post this over there too. I learned about this diet on that website since I use it to log my food dailiy, and there are a lot of folks following it there. There are a lot of people who live in the UK there, and it seems to be quite popular there.

Eva

Thank you for responding. All your suggestions are appreciated.

Cindy, I too saw the same report. Very interesting to me as well. Started the intermittent fast Thursday and will do the other one on Monday's. Haven't told my hubby yet but thinking he will go along with me as well. Makes things a lot easier.

Eva, myfitnesspal is a very interesting and useful place to be in cyberspace. Thank you for sharing that.

Fit44, Thank you for this. It just goes to show you that it's not for everyone. Also his tweaking a diet to fit him, makes me think that you truly do need to listen to your body.

Thank you so much,

Janie

An alternative to fasting

Hi janiejoey,

The Ecuadorian study is indeed fascinating. It may interest you to know that a low fat plant-based diet decreases IGF-1 (by 9% after 11 days and by >50% for long term vegans) and also increases the levels of IGF-1-binding protein (also by ~50% long term).

Here is a video which details some of the studies:
The Answer to the Pritikin Puzzle | NutritionFacts.org

All sources are peer-reviewed scholarly articles and can be found underneath the video in the "Sources Cited" section.

In addition, this article provides links to many videos showcasing individual studies, all of which again have the sources listed underneath:
Alzheimer

I bring this up as this type of diet may be easier for some than intermittent fasting or caloric restriction, while achieving the same benefits as well as many others.

You may also enjoy Dr. Neal Barnard's book, "Power Foods for the Brain".

Janie - How did the IF on Thursday go?

My husband is starting it today and I won't be able to dive in for a few months since I'm breastfeeding right now but I'm really excited to see how it goes for him. This will be a great way for him to pump some more veggies into his diet, he's slowly been getting better over the years.

Cindy

Hi there,

I have no scientific information to provide however I will say that I have seen fasting popping up in the news and whatnot lately. It seems to be a fad (this does not make it a bad thing or something that doesn't actually work, mind you). I read Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon and thought it made sense and was a great book.

I would try the 5/2 diet. I tried doing ESE, where you fast completely 2x a week, non consecutive days, from dinner til dinner (So you never go a full waking day w/o food). It was tough but doable. My mind hasn't been in it lately, but it definitely brought about an appreciation for food, taste, and true hunger. Plus, as mentioned, there are other benefits.

The 5/2 diet seems to be a great alternative to ESE. Good luck. I would try it and see how you feel. :)

Katherine, I can't tell you I completely understand my scientific evidence and yours too, but do appreciate their findings. That said and trying to wrap my head around all these new finding is mind boggling to say the least.
Seems to me meat/flesh has a lot of evidence that is harming our bodies in some way or another. (Not sure if organic meat applies?) Intermittent dieting (ID) gets a person away from meat for a couple of days a week. I'm now thinking perhaps trying less meat (making sure it's organic) during normal days of eating and on the days of ID no meat at all. What I eat on ID days perhaps a green nutrient rich drink or organic fruit and vegetables for my one meal. (I divide one meal in the morning and use the other part in the afternoon)
I'm keeping in mind there are alternative ways like you said to eat a different way and get the same results.
I'm yearning for the day when we have more substantial answers for our preventative health problems and how to overcome them. As the reports come in I will be tweaking my diet. Just have to think of new ways to stay healthy and be on top with research about what is causing health issues from our food, environment, medications...WHEW! It's exhausting sometimes, but oh so worth it.

Thank you so much for the eye opening research and videos. As I will be watching these from now on.

Cindy, 5/2 went very well! I was surprised how well it went. It could be because I felt I was doing good for my brain and body. Today is another 5/2 day and for breakfast (before I read these posts) 3 egg whites and a banana. Next time will be a green drink. In a few hours will have a red orange and a small homemade fermented kefir drink. I'm excited and determined to find different ways to prevent health problems. Even if it takes a lot of juggling.
Glad to hear your hubby is getting better over the years. And congratulations on your little bundle of joy.

Candice, You don't have to have scientific information, your opinion counts here. Intermittent Fasting (IF) is a fad especially in Europe right now. I agree, it doesn't make it a bad thing. After my posting here I will read about Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. Thank you for the info. If you try 5/2 please let me know what you think.

Janie

Last edited:
Does it count that I feel like I'm fasting everyday at my 1500 calorie total?? :) Very intriguing and I look forward to hearing if it works for you and how your workouts are on your fasting days or the day after. I just recently went back to be truthful to 1500 calories a day and I can so feel it in my workouts. Really having to push to make it through.

Janie - Thanks, he's my third and last so I'm trying not to rush him growing up yet at the same time I look forward to getting my body back and being able to dive into diet and exercise 100%. How are you feeling/doing?

Cindy

Shanta, I'm hungry on those day I kid you not! On the days of fasting I usually take a walk. If I workout strenuously I'm afraid I might sabotage it.

Cindy, I think a child should be a child as long as they will allow it. LOL I'm feeling good on fasting two days a week. Thus far I've lost 6 pounds. However I truly am looking to not have Alzheimer in the future. I guess that is the carrot/motivation I have to keep going. I'm very hungry on those days.

Janie

Kids do grow too fast! 6 pounds is great and I agree to be able to do something to help keep Alzheimer's at arms length is a positive. It sounds like the hunger will get better with time, even after just a couple weeks :)

Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.