41 year old problems

randidiane

Cathlete
I've noticed this year and part of last year, my body is starting to react to all my wear and tear high impact;( But I'm still in the best shape with all Cathes help;)..I cant always do a 8 inch step.struggle with exercises that use lower back especially dead lifts and certain core exercises no more mountain climbers and I have to limit high impact..think I have a sciatica issue too..Anyone else have these issues at 41?

Just a thought for you, age might not really be the factor. For example I had sciatica after getting hit by a car at 19. I think in general as our bodies constantly change not only because of age but all the other factors in our lives. Yes, doing something for only 1 year versus 10 years will make a difference.
I developed a foot issue a year ago and have limited high impact because of it but over the years it always seems to be something different. Just listen to your body and do what is best. FYI I'm 50 . . .

Just a thought for you, age might not really be the factor. For example I had sciatica after getting hit by a car at 19. I think in general as our bodies constantly change not only because of age but all the other factors in our lives. Yes, doing something for only 1 year versus 10 years will make a difference.
I developed a foot issue a year ago and have limited high impact because of it but over the years it always seems to be something different. Just listen to your body and do what is best. FYI I'm 50 . . .
Thank you for your response;) First it was knee then back issues what else lol. I miss working out when nothing bothered me lol!

I've had issues off and on over the years, I am 49 now. I rolled a car when I was 21 and have had back issues off and on ever since. At 38 I noticed all sorts of niggles and things that have tended to come and go over the years. This last year I've had issues with my back, my left shoulder, my hands and wrists. I find cardio workouts difficult and have to modify any high impact moves. I like doing step workouts but find my back gets sore so haven't done one in a while. It is really frustrating to not be able to do the workouts I want to do. I've been doing some mobility type workouts recently and discovering a number of imbalances in my body, for example my left glutes are weaker than my right, my right obliques are weaker than my left. I'm hoping that if I can correct some of these imbalances I may be able to reintroduce some step and other cardio workouts again.

The Dr found a little arthritis in my low back around age 37 ..my knees are bad probably being a tennis player since I was 10. I cant go a full 90 degrees on squats and lunges. I cant go all the way down and pick up dixi cups lol..I wonder if I should do cathes yoga/ mobility 2 or 3 times a week? Any one know of any good joint supplements?

The problems you describe started for me with menopause, in my early 50s. I'm currently in my mid-60s and am suffering from back, knees and hips osteoarthritis pain. On good days, I can do a lot of Cathe's workouts - as long as I modify, modify, modify! I can't, however, do lunges, squats, deadlifts or step aerobics. Currently, I'm focusing on upper body strength (with Cathe's workouts - the ones using a ball are FANTASTIC!), using my stationary bike for cardio, doing modified yoga specifically for arthritis sufferers, and I start each morning with stretches in bed.

As for joint supplements, I've found the following to be very helpful: SAM-e (S-Adenosyl methionine, 200 mg daily); Boswellia and turmeric extract (200 mg daily) and Bromelain (500 mg daily). Be aware that the first two can cause lower GI issues. Also, I'm currently using an Aspercreme Lidocaine patch (4 mg strength) for sciatica - it takes a couple of hours before it kicks in, but once it does, I'm good for the day.

Know that you're not alone in dealing with these issues, but that you CAN continue to be active. Best of luck to you!
Regards,
Nancy

The problems you describe started for me with menopause, in my early 50s. I'm currently in my mid-60s and am suffering from back, knees and hips osteoarthritis pain. On good days, I can do a lot of Cathe's workouts - as long as I modify, modify, modify! I can't, however, do lunges, squats, deadlifts or step aerobics. Currently, I'm focusing on upper body strength (with Cathe's workouts - the ones using a ball are FANTASTIC!), using my stationary bike for cardio, doing modified yoga specifically for arthritis sufferers, and I start each morning with stretches in bed.

As for joint supplements, I've found the following to be very helpful: SAM-e (S-Adenosyl methionine, 200 mg daily); Boswellia and turmeric extract (200 mg daily) and Bromelain (500 mg daily). Be aware that the first two can cause lower GI issues. Also, I'm currently using an Aspercreme Lidocaine patch (4 mg strength) for sciatica - it takes a couple of hours before it kicks in, but once it does, I'm good for the day.

Know that you're not alone in dealing with these issues, but that you CAN continue to be active. Best of luck to you!
Regards,
Nancy
Thank you!!! I hope I can move when I'm 50 lol!

I'm 51 and notice high impact at times bothers my knees (for some reason high tuck jumps especially, don't know why...), and in general, I really need take lighter days every now and then, but specific issues seem to come and go as others here described too. I'm still pretty much in the best shape of my life, never thought I could actually feel so comfortoble and healthy in my body, owing a huge part to Cathe!!

For me the biggest thing getting older has been to just get a lot more sensitive to what my body says. I think when I was younger, if I had decided to do an interval or other hard workout one day, I would do it no matter how badly I slept or what my body was trying to tell me.

I workout in the mornings, and usually take a few minutes with a cup of coffee to really see what kind of workout day it is... I think I get so much more enjoyment (and probably results?), when I really concentrate and think of the muscles when i work them, it give a great angle to lighter workouts too. So for me, that has really been the best part of working out at 50, no stopping in sight yet... ;/) Today was one of the Hardcore Extreme workouts (forget the name, but the one with 2 x Imax3 blasts + High Step Challenge weight segments x 3... and it felt so good... :)). So tomorrow probably a lighter metabolic wo oa. Wish you good workouts - listening to your body!

I'm 51 and notice high impact at times bothers my knees (for some reason high tuck jumps especially, don't know why...), and in general, I really need take lighter days every now and then, but specific issues seem to come and go as others here described too. I'm still pretty much in the best shape of my life, never thought I could actually feel so comfortoble and healthy in my body, owing a huge part to Cathe!!

For me the biggest thing getting older has been to just get a lot more sensitive to what my body says. I think when I was younger, if I had decided to do an interval or other hard workout one day, I would do it no matter how badly I slept or what my body was trying to tell me.

I workout in the mornings, and usually take a few minutes with a cup of coffee to really see what kind of workout day it is... I think I get so much more enjoyment (and probably results?), when I really concentrate and think of the muscles when i work them, it give a great angle to lighter workouts too. So for me, that has really been the best part of working out at 50, no stopping in sight yet... ;/) Today was one of the Hardcore Extreme workouts (forget the name, but the one with 2 x Imax3 blasts + High Step Challenge weight segments x 3... and it felt so good... :)). So tomorrow probably a lighter metabolic wo oa. Wish you good workouts - listening to your body!

A daily check-in with your body is such a good suggestion and is key to staying active as you age!

Reactions: KAV
Here is my story: I have done high impact cardio since my late teens (it was just the most fun for me; 8-10" stepper or HiiT are my favorites). I started mixing in weights in my 20s (lighter weights, higher reps). I never had an issue until I hit late 30s / early 40s. I noticed I would feel a tweak here or there. Maybe my knee was sore and I had to not jump as high or my low back felt a bit stiff. Nothing I was concerned about, just something I thought happened because I was ageing. (And because I heard that doing high impact cardio could hurt you in the long run, I figured all that wear and tear on my body was starting to happen).

Early 40s I noticed the tweaks and stiffness came more often and lasted longer (this was only after my high impact workouts). I decided to incorporate stretching, but it wasn't doing anything to help. I then came across stretching that seemed to help much much more (Lastics, Gravity Yoga with Lucas Rockwell, Fit & Bendy and now Cathe's Mobility). I noticed these deeper stretches that held movements longer seemed to really help (the numerous stretches I tried prior just did nothing for me.)

I remember wondering why these specific "harder" stretches were helping, whereas others did not. I did some researching and found out these stretches were reducing inflammation AND also building strength - which would protect my body from getting tweaks and stiffness. The tiny accessory muscles, tendons, etc were gaining strength and getting use, which would help protect my larger muscles that were getting "pounded" and somewhat injured on a consistent basis. That made sense to me so I thought I would start lifting heavy weights more often (versus the lighter weights, higher reps I had been doing). I figured lifting heavy weights would continue to build strength and would also build strength of my accessory muscles/tendons/etc.

I was right. Now, about a decade later I have not had a single issue (soreness, tightness, tweak). For weight work, I only do Heavy weights in my rotation and still absolutely love high impact cardio (in fact to this day I still love to make all possible cardio moves high impact). I do use lighter weights in MWT or Circuit work, since I also love variety, but for weight work, I only lift heavy.

In the last year, I kind of let my stretching get pushed to the side but continue the heavy weights. I still haven't had any issues, but I want to incorporate the stretches back in.

So, specific deep stretches holding movements for several minutes along with heavy weight work really seem to have prevented any workout related injuries, fatigue, or soreness for me. I keep reading (and being told) that my love of high impact and heavy weights are going to come back and haunt me....maybe it will, but for now I am stronger with less injuries than any other time in my life.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Gobias for those insights! What you describe actually rings a bell, and I will have to try some deep stretching too... I feel the same way, light stretching is fine right after a workout, but I don't really feel it "does" anything... I have noticed that high impact and heavy weights seem to do exactly what you described though, occasional stifness and light discomfort in tendons or joints. But seems to pass when doing enough lighter days.

I love this thread reading how people have felt getting older effects their working out! I would also love to hear of what good it might have brought to everyone's fitness routiness?! I know for myself, a big improvement has been just being at ease in general in regards to working out. Nowadays I really try to keep in mind that my aim is to feel as good as possible physically and mentally. I don't stress over not doing some hardcore workout if my body tells something else, or my tendons just feel stressed... (though I will try that deep stretching ;/)! I try to really "talk" to my body positively, instead just demanding. And it doesn't mean I wouldn't push myself, almost on the contrary, I love getting that feeling after a good night's sleep that now - let's go for it!

And it has reflected on my eating. I am finally pretty far at being friends with food. Which, after years of struggle hasn't been easy. And I'm happy with my weight, or I should say with my body. I don't use the scale anymore, because I don't want to get caught up on a number. I can tell by how I feel, and how my clothes fit. Younger, even after knowing that I had put on muscle, I would just hate seeing the number on the scale go up... and even though I thought my body looked and felt better.

Also, being a long-time Cathlete, I just love how the workouts have evolved to such an incredible and versatile set of... pretty much anything you want. It certainly caters to all... and it's so motivating to see and read of 50+++ just enjoying working out! There seems to be some level of stereotype in the fitness business with young or max middle-aged people... you start feeling you're sort of strange hopping Imaxes or heavy weights in your living room every morning... So it just feels so good to know there are a number of Cathletes out there doing exactly the same and enjoying it:)!

Today it will be Cardio & Weights, haven't done that one in a while, but someone mentioned it here on the forum, and suddenly remembered I used to love that one too...:)!

I'd be happy to hear of anyone's experiences and thoughts on working out 40-, 50-, 60 whatever +++! Have a good day everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.