40's - Mother's R Special

fitover40

Cathlete
Hi all, hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day. Move in day yesterday was a lot more work than I was planning. Thankfully had a good day, probably mostly because I'm not doing the things I know that aggravate my neck (no w/o, no sleeping on left---too long, no reclining in expensive recliner---too long, hmmmm, what else, yea, basically doing nothing) and of course the injections still have a little benefit helping with the pain. Then when I feel OK, I wonder maybe I shouldn't do the surgery and just do nothing the rest of my life. I'll be honest, I'm very scared of a 3 level fusion, so major. But then I go back to the 1st recorded visit with the neurosurgeon and I'm amazed with NO Xrays, NO MRI, only physical exam, he found the weakness in tricep and shoulder and through all the testing those are the areas that have the degenerative and compressed nerves based on the injections working. So, I SHOULD feel comfortable letting this guy do surgery on my neck, right? CT better....for now. No Mother's Day plans for us, especially poor DH, he has to rest up for moving other DS on Tuesaday.

Jody, I hope one day that you think of me for something other than chronic pain, but thanks for thinking of me!

Roxie, beautiful weaather should be heading your way.

Ronne, I forget what you are doing but I know you are doing something fan-tab-u-lous (hee hee, I made up a word)

Murphy, getting in the workouts? or are your assistants spoiling you for Mother's day?

Mary, enjoy your Mother's day, it's payback for all those l-o-n-g concerts, sports activities, etc. Is DH at the fire station?

Last edited:
Happy Mother's Day! I think I will do YR....later! DH is at the station, just me and the kids today, they did clean for me! Lisa, I think you need to put your trust in your doctor, he's not going to steer you wrong! How is it having 2 extra people in the house? Roxie, will you get to see GS today? Jody, say hi to Mickey for me! Murphy, are your little ones working out with you today? Ronne, how did lunch go? Going to go read for a bit, then off to see my mom! Have a good day, mary

Good morning! I did C&W this morning, haven't done that in a long time! Never got to YR yesterday, mainly lazy! It was perfect! Ronne, how was your weekend? Murphy, you out there? Roxie, did it warm up yet? 36 here this morning! Jody, how was Disney? Have fun at school. Lisa, how are you? Do you see the doctor today? I have to get Wheezy to vet today, she keeps shaking her head, maybe ear infection? Anyway, it's making me crazy! Hope everyone has a good day, Mary

Good Morning,

I did KCM 30 MTF Wts 1 and then went for a 1.99 mile walk. DH bought me a new life jacket for mothers day yesterday and we are headed to the lake today he is on vacation and its suppose to be 80 degrees today and 90 tomarrow.

Mary-I didn't see any of my kids yesterday, DD wanted to spend her first mothers day with her boys and youngest dd went to her bfs mothers house. DH and I went shopping.

3.15 miles around the lake today with the grand dog, gotta walk while I can! Roxie, I didn't see my boys either (well, I saw the one that lived here as they left to go to her Mom's), no big deal, as long as these boys are here when I need them and they know that. It was funny, the younger one finally texted me happy MD at 11:30 pm (like he finally remembered)---he's busy too with school--he has a summer session between junior and senior year for 6 wks, then he has an internship.

Mary, how's wheezy?

so, here is my note to work re: my dr appt, pardon pasting, but it's easier

After today's Neurosurgeon appointment a 3 level (C4-C7) spine fusion surgery (about 2 hrs) is scheduled for 5/28/13.

They will operate from the front of the neck, retract the esophagus and vocal cords to gain access to the spine where they will remove 3 discs, shave down any bone spurs and free up the nerve openings and add an artificial disc that they will add some of my bone shavings to along with cadaver bone, and then add a steel plate to the front to provide stability. Hospital (Exempla Good Samaritan) stay of 1-2 nights where hopefully I'll be able to eat soft foods (if not a feeding tube -- but that is rare)---reason being your esophagus is sore after moving it aside, especially in a 3 level fusion (the max my surgeon will ever do at one time), also will work with a vocal coach for speech therapy (again because of the retraction of the vocal cords during surgery). The main pain generators after surgery is the throat issues I've listed already, and then pain between shoulders because of the fact the muscles will have been stretched because I will gain some height when they restore the 3 disc spaces to their normal height. I will be in a fashionable hard collar for 6 weeks and using a bone stimulator to encourage fusion of the bones. After 3 mths, restrictions are lifted and then physical therapy starts. My young age and good health are working in my favor. This is the same surgery Peyton Manning had on his c6/c7 level (1 level).

As far as work, since I want to give my body every chance possible for the best recovery, I will be out 3-4 weeks, and then will work part time (1/2 day hours initially then maybe later 3 full days a week) from home until I feel able to do more, I hope it's ok to play it by ear, but seriously I don't see 40 hr weeks any time soon. I will keep Hilarie (and anyone else that would like contacted) informed as I go thru my recovery process. You all now have my personal email, feel free to send me email, especially positive emails! It's been a tough few months and I know the next few will be even tougher. My focus will now be on positivity to get through this latest hurdle.

Hi

Never made it here yesterday. Don't know where the day went. Just done MMA Boxing wearing 1lb gloves for the first time.

Lisa - reading that makes me feel a bit queasy!!

Mary - is that your dog or cat? We had a great weekend thanks, although the weather was rubbish. Spring's finished as soon as it began. It's gone cold and rainy again.

Roxie - love your present!

Good Morning,

Rough night last night DH had a toothache and was up and down which made it hard for me to sleep, he has a dentist appt Thursday. We were suppose to go to the lake again today but I don't think that is going to happen. I will do KCMs Body Training 2 which is all floor work for the legs.

Lisa-sounds like a really scary operation.

Ronne-suppose to be 90 here today but the wind is blowing again.

Good morning! Today did AB. Lisa, that is awesome news! He fit you in the schedule quickly, 2 weeks from today! I have taken care of people after the surgery, they do incredible! I mean the neck brace is annoying, but they are up and walking around the next day. Relief is in sight! Roxie, sorry about DH, that is miserable. Sucks that he has to wait til Thursday. Ronne, cold here too. I like it chilly at night, but not 34 degrees, in May! Jody, how's school? Hi Murphy! Well, Wheezy (dog) just has allergies and we have to give her Benadryl. I should have become a vet, he said it would take about a week to feel better. If she doesn't stop flapping those ears all night......I'm gonna lock her in the basement! Have a good day, Mary. (I'm just kidding you know?)

Moved DS (the one in college) yesterday. DH and I ended up doing it all (his roommate helped with the big items) because DS is in class all day with lots of work at night for his summer session they must take between junior/senior year. The heat was the worst (I don't tolerate anything above 75 very well). My neck is feeling better with the hot weather (because of the facet arthritis), but did feel a few pains from the nerve compression (comes and goes depending on position, plus I think the gabapentin is helping that). Sometimes makes me wonder if I could hold out on the surgery, but realistic Lisa says, it's gotta be done whether now or later, get it over with so you can get on with life without worrying, will today be a painful day?

Mary, NS said surgery calendar is more open given summer is here and no one wants surgery when the weather is nice (well, I know I can't do the fun summer things without hurting so not sure delaying is an option!) Now waiting for ins approval, hopefully it doesn't delay the surgery date. maybe you should come be my nurse to ensure I recover as well as your past patients! I hope I can sleep with the neck brace. I'm thinking positive thoughts as recovery is as much mental as physical, right? Wheezy sounds so cute with her floppy ears.

Jody, my granddog is still sticking to my side except at night when they take her to bed with them (fine by me, I don't like animals impeding my sleep).

Roxie, you should get some good lake time in, it's been HOT here! It went from winter to summer (it always does here).

Ronne, I only explain to people the details so they know what a big deal this is, otherwise they always wonder, why is she out, etc, etc. Not a peep from my mgr, but my teamlead said don't worry about work (she's so sweet). I noticed the mgr was a bit grumpy last week, I'm sure it's not easy letting the contractors go and I think this week or next is the employees turn to get laid off. He is probably liking I'm taking so much time off, he saves money (I don't get paid for time off) and yet retains talent. These cut backs are all so IBM can make the profits they have promised their shareholders, kinda sickening.

Better go, CT better, but it can flare up easy. Stupid wrist splint gave me a bruise on my right forearm on upper side, probably because I sleep more on right now and that metal part on top is digging in from some position I'm in. I'm giving the right one to DH and using my old splint I had. Definitely getting CT surgery later this year. Insurance is gonna love me this year :)

Hi Ladies

No workout for me today. Been in an office. Very strange! Going out with a friend tonight - bottle of wine and a good catch up!

Lisa - you're doing the right thing! And I'm sure Mary would be an excellent nurse! How funny about the weather, you just had snow, didn't you?!

Mary - ooh, AB is a goodie. Weather's so annoying! I actually put the heating on last night, I had a vest, a long-sleeved top and a thick cardigan on and was still cold, so just thought 'sod it!'

Roxie - hope DH gets his tooth sorted out.

Hello everyone! Today did GS legs, fun! Ronne, 36 here the other day, 80 today? I refused to turn the furnance on, I told them to put their electric blankets on and sweat shirts! Have fun with your friend. Lisa, I think you are making the best choice. You don't want to feel like this any longer than you have to. Get it done and move forward. I see the new orthopedist the same day you have your surgery. That is love for DS, I always dread when someone asks us to help move, it's hard work! Roxie, how is DH? Hi to Jody and Murphy! DH's birthday and of course he is at the station, the kids and I are taking dinner and cake to him. We will be able to better celebrate this weekend. Have a good day, Mary

Hi all. I am on jury duty and don't have much time to write. Did a Ride premix then some ab work and stretches. Kids and DH will be home soon so sorry for lack of personals. Hi-fives to all!

Lisa - glad to hear they can help you. Science is amazing. Reading your post all I could think about was that once upon a time all this surgery was a pipe-dream. Glad they can do something to help you.

Murphy

Good Evening,

Before we went to the lake I did KCMs Body Training 2 and Ronne I totally recommend this workout. I am anxiously awaiting for her new workouts to come in, I also did CK 25 Wk 2 Day 1 and 50 squats. Its 80 here today.

Lisa-you are doing the right thing.

Ronne-hope things get better at the office.

Mary-he got some sleep last night so hopefully it won't bother him to much tonite.

Hi all,

Today I did Supercuts extreme pm and core 2. No workous - park on Sun, exhausted on Mon, clinicals on Tues.
Lisa, this sounds scary but I hope relief will be there for you. I miss my dogs but not the dog hair. I'll get another one someday.
Murphy, did you get selected? Didn't Mary just have jury duty too?
Ronne, friend eve sounds fun. I plan to see my gfs on Fri.
Roxie, you've done this kcm rotation before? Also you couldn't walk another tenth of a mile to make it an even 2 on mothers' day? lol.
Mary do you have plans this weekend for dh? I'm such a sicko, all I hear is birthday and I immediately start fantasizing about Publix frosting.
I'll post a few disney pics later, we had fun.

Attachments

• cinderella8.jpg
    cinderella8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1
Jody I started last year with this rotation and I plan on doing another month hoping I can incorporate her new ones in.

Hello

Jody - are you doing extra to make up for Lisa? Supercuts Extreme?!! No, it was me who had jury duty in Feb.

Roxie - I've got that one. I sometimes do it when I can't be bothered with equipment.

Murphy - hope jury duty's not too horrible.

Mary - I'm the real hard case in this house about heating but even I had to admit it was freezing!! Better today tho, it's stayed dry and bright.

Did Circuit Max. I think it's only the 2nd time I've done it. It wasn't as bad as the first, I remember I was really wiped out. Doing the gym run again tonight so probably coffee and cake for me! (Unlike Jody I don't fit a workout in while hanging around for DD, I just stuff my face with cake instead!)

did CSS today. I skipped some of it, was just too tired and I think my legs were tired from dong Ride yesterday.

Jody - yes I was selected for jury duty. I really don't mind having jury duty. It bothers most people but not me.

Ronne - I too prefer the "stuff my face with cake" option than the "get in a workout" option.

Murphy

Hello! Today did UB from the firm, not too bad. Jody, how is school going? We got DH a CakeBoss cake, amazing! Well worth the money! Ronne, I don't have CM, is it worth getting? I don't have that one or some of the old step ones. I'm right there with you, when I'm waiting for the kids, I usually have my head in a book! Roxie, I want to come to the lake with you! Hope DH gets his tooth fixed today. Murphy, are you on jury duty just for the week? Always painful waiting to get picked! Lisa, how are you? I'm so glad for you that finally its all coming together and you will feel better! Beautiful day here, I hope everyone has a good one! Mary

hi ladies! I took the dog for a 3.2 mile walk (the same route I used to take with Maddy). She was fun to walk, chased a bunny, walked on a wall vs the sidewalk (someone commented how she was like a kid doing that). I figured walking is the best w/o right now, I couldn't even do kickboxing because my left arm is getting worse with the nerve impingement. Shoulder really hurt last night, very weak lifting it, left hand very weak---this all as 2nd injection really wears off, and I'm very thankful for Gabapentin (still only take at night, makes me so sleepy, so I just try to put up with the nerve stuff during the day). You all are right, I need to do this surgery, thanks for supporting me!

Murphy, so glad you are w/o for me! lol Yes, it is amazing where science has taken us, when DH got out his gallbladder a few yrs ago, did it outpatient only 3 little incisions, whereas when my Dad had it done 30 yrs ago, it was a week long hospital stay!

Ronnie, is that the old circuit max or new one (isn't there 2 named the same?) The new one has too many jumping on step w/4 risers, so glad I have to modify to stepping up on it whenever I finally get back into the Cathe game.

Mary, waht is a CakeBoss cake? I hope you get answers at your dr appt at end of month, so far I'm thankful for this NS I found, will see after surgery :) I have the new Dan Brown book Inferno. Not sure when I'll start it, reading has been slow.

Jody, yea, dog hair comes with the territory, I'm just glad I don't have to do the bathes, etc, I'm doing good at being the Grandma (OY, did I say that? seriously not ready for Grandma title)

Roxie, I guess you are the only grandma here :)

Jody, you put all of us to shame, and you're the oldest!?!!?!!!!!!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.