40's - April showers

fitover40

Cathlete
Slept pretty good, woke up with neck feeling better than normal. It hurt so much yesterday, nothing helped it, then I went and laid down with heating pad, fell asleep and 2 hrs later the crick came out and was back to how it normally feels. Did KM today, skipped blasts and no jumping jacks. It was meh. My plantar faciatis in my right foot is bad after my walk. I'm out of shape and falling apart!

Jody, DIL is scared of hurting her Mom's feelings by living here (we do not get along with her parents, especially the Mom, she is super controlling). Never got to the hobbit yesterday, managed to take a nap without having to play a movie that may put me to sleep. I'm unsure I'll like Hobbit. I can't believe all your journals. I am so not organized, I always think I'll remember so I don't write anything down, and then of course I don't remember. Seems I remember useless stuff :) I was so tight today even though I did YM yesterday, if I don't stretch those areas I know are my problems (hammies especially) it will turn into problems (like my PF). Oh, thought of you while doing the leg cond drills on KM.....I suck at barre work!

Mary, DIL Mom wants them to move in with them (let me just say their place is a DUMP) AND charge them $700 a month in rent. I'm offering them free rent thru fall in return for DS mowing lawn, and raking leaves in fall (it will help us out and them too I figure), then after that was looking at $250 a month in rent. I think she just wants to make some money off of them. Got my instructions for the facet block Wed, I'm not to take fish oil or nsaids for 7 days before...I knew about the fish oil (actually just stopped all supplements, it's easier for me), but took advil yesterday befoer i got the letter --- but they do say you can take if needed for pain. So I'm trying to go without the advil.

Roxie, hope you are feeling better! Surely those antibiotics are kicking in. We are getting a lot of snow here predicted for Tuesday!

Murphy, did you get some core work in for me? I really need to do some but neck doesn't like me doing it.

Ronne, tell us all what a fab time you had. Make us jealous!

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I will do the TM today and do a stretch. Its cloudy and rainy here today which is fine because we need the rain to calm everything down. I had a blast yesterday with my friend it seems no matter how long its been since we have seen each other we pick up right where we left off, I am hoping to make this a monthly or every other month deal. We are holding each other accountable for workouts.

Lisa-glad to hear your neck feels good today.

Hello everyone! Did kickboxing from CTX, just something. Lisa, glad to hear you are feeling better. $700???? They could buy a house here for that! (Not a great one, but definitely a house!). Is she an only child? That could be why she is feeling hesitant, doesn't want to hurt her mom by living with her other "mom". Is your block this Wednesday? Roxie, how fun! I have a friend that I have known for 43 years???? ( how did that happen?). Still pick up where we left off! Murphy, how's your weather there? 60's are coming! Ronnie, how was the trip? Did it stay cold? Jody, I wish I would have kept journals, then maybe I would remember my life! Hope everyone has a good day! Mary

Hi y'all. The journals are just daily food logs; in the front I keep track of body wt and measures. I don't keep food logs all the time, but "you bite it you write it" is WW tool that worked for me in the past. I was able to go back and see that the last time I was at my current wt but doing Cathe, my measurements were similar to now. To me, that means it really is about the food, Cathe and heavy wts don't give you "bulky" (grrr to that term) and Xtend has been effective despite the fact it doesn't seem as efficient (to me) as other types of workouts.
Today I did a Sunday Desert workout which was 55 min of stepping from Step Blast and SJP and then core/plank from SJP. Desert in that it was just fun step with fun music.

Lisa, very interesting that fish oil such a significant anti inflammatory that you need to d/c it for test, seems a good case for making sure we take some?
Roxie, sounds like day with old bestie was just what you needed, so happy you had a fun time.
Mary, no worries on me not getting picked, I was anxious about doing the interview and stuff. I've greatly benefited from being part of the group, but I'm also looking forward to being done. I think the people who were chosen to move forward were more likely to give life changing testimony. For many it was life changing. LOL, or maybe they were just more photogenic and better workouters than me!
Waves to the other 40's~~

Took a rest day yesterday. Today did XTrain bi's and tri's, felt good. Yesterday DH and I looked at spin bikes. I told him what I wanted and let him pick from that. He ordered something; it should be here in a week or so. I will keep you posted.

Lisa - glad you are feeling better. Interesting about the fish oil.
Roxie - glad you are feeling better too and made it out to see you BFF.
Jody - glad to hear the program worked out for you. Would you recommend it to others?
Mary/Ronne - big waves out to you!

Murphy

Good Morning,

Today I will do TLC 1 and then my friend challenged me to a 30 day squat challenge so I will do 50 squats and maybe go for a walk later. I woke up feeling like crap again this morning but I know in and hour or so I will feel better.

Murphy-I'm jealous I would love a spin bike.

Good morning! Today did LL, hadn't done that one in forever! Roxie, true, once everything drains down, you do feel better. Glad things are clearing up. Murphy, what a great DH! We have one, my DH uses it the most. I get bored. Jody, since you were all ready in shape, maybe they picked people who had more shocking transformations? Lisa, how are you feeling? I remember I had to stop taking fish oil before my surgeries, increases bleeding. Hi Ronne! Have to get to the dentist. Have a tooth talking to me! Nothing good! Also get to get my roots done today! Have a good day! Mary

Neck felt amazingly good today (not perfect by any means), just probably because I rested it a lot this weekend. I did YR at lunchtime, then I just finished up RIDE. It did feel like my neck's shock absorbers were worn out during the standing portions especially.

Mary, how's the tooth? You seem to go to the dentist a lot. That's one dr I like because I don't have teeth problems :)

Roxie, let's get back in the saddle together.

Jody, I need you to drag me back in the eating saddle :)

Murphy, I sooooooo want to work bis/tris. I hope after the facet block I can do some UB that won't hurt. I little worried though that then when I take away pain killers I may feel the arm pain instead of numbness.

Mary, again, I can't believe I'm saying this but I like that Flexeril---but only 1/4 pill at a time! We are so lucky to have a nurse in the group! You are a wealth of information.

Woo hoo to good day for Lisa. Mary, fish oil inc bleeding and that is why to d/c before test? Oh well, I added some to my supplement order anyway! Murphy, congrats on bike, I hope you like it. I've never ever done a session on spin bike! Roxie, good job on the squats and w/o. Between moving and being sick, it would be tough for me to get my groove back, so I'm impressed. Ronne, are you finishing up your rotation this week?

Pure conjecture but I think they picked camera ease, and enthusiasm as much as dramatic results. Many are sad about end of journey + want to continue w/ classes where I don't see me signing up for another round anytime soon even though I've had great results without injury (important). But there were some aspects I didn't like. I'm still trying to process it.

Good morning! Today did ME, totally forgot did LL yesterday til I started all those darn leg presses! (which I also totally forgot about!). Lisa, so glad you had a good day! Hope it continues! Thank goodness you figured out the dose that works perfect for you. Yes, the dentist is a friend that I see all too often! I floss, brushe, etc. dentist says its genetic. My dad goes a lot too! I thought I needed a root canal, good news it was due to sinus issues. Jody, that class was a big investment of time for you, especially with school. SIL looked at Pure Barre classes, they are down the street from her, $220 a month!? I told her she could borrow my video! Roxie, how are you feeling? You are back in the wagon! Ronne, are you home? Hi Murphy! Errands today, run into work. Nave to go to Dick's to get spikes for DD, she is running track, hurdles, she can hardly walk across a room without bumping into something and she is so graceful running those hurdles! Have a good day! Mary

Hi everyone

I'm back! We got back on Friday but have been washing, catching up, etc since. I have got back on the workout wagon tho', determined to finish the rotation. I've done SC plus Core 2, BS CBS, AOLIH and then CLB today. Just two more workouts to go.
We had a really nice week, though it was cold. Unfortunately, the house we stayed in was cold as well, so we spent most of the time in one room! We couldn't use the dining area as it was freezing! The location was great tho'. Near the coast and Exmoor national park. We got lots of walking in (I was proud of DD). We did 4 walks, one 3 miles and the rest 6 miles, including one with a height gain of 400m, almost vertical. We also did a 22 mile bike ride, so we were active enough to justify all the cake!!
On the way back, we popped in at Stonehenge which I've never visited. I've attached a couple of photos for you all. They're not the best in the world, but they give you an idea.
On Monday I took DD to the dentist, her filling fell out while we were away. She's had to have the whole tooth out now (the adult one) and he took a baby tooth at the same time, so she's barely got any teeth on the lower left side of jaw, poor thing!

Sounds like I've missed a few things while I've been away.

Lisa - so are things getting a bit better for you at the moment? What is that thing you're having this week?
Have DS and his wife had to give up their place? Has his job not come through yet?

Jody - so, it sounds like your barre group has come to an end and you didn't get picked for the informercials, is that right? I guess it has been a useful experience tho, it's always good to try something different.

Mary - how are things? Are your kids on holiday now as well? It sometimes seems that the older they get, it's almost harder to find stuff to occupy them!

Roxie - sounds like you had a good time with your friend. It's a shame we're so far away, I reckon you and me deserve an Xtrain celebration!

Murphy - have fun with the spin bike! Will you get Cathe's DVDs as well?

Sorry if this has turned into an essay!

Attachments

• Picture 480.jpg
    Picture 480.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 486.jpg
    Picture 486.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4
Did AOLI, trying to do some w/o to get pain up for block tomorrow, then saving the ones I really think hurt me for after the steriods in the block kick in. I'm really not ready to give up my flexeril, but I have to to see if the block works. I feel addicted to it now :)

Ronne, Is that a hiking path in that first pic? Sounds like a great time, I don't think I could get my crew to be that active on vacation :) As far as my neck, pain can come and go, depending on activity and drugs. I think the pattern I see is: I w/o a couple days, pain kicks in, it hurts so I stop w/o for a couple of days, repeat. And the meds all the time. Dr still trying to find right way to fix me up (plus I think there are steps you have to go thru for insurance). I really like this doc a lot, great bedside manner. Remember when I told him that I told DH, get me a dr or get a gun and shoot me? He said to DH then, and you didn't pick the gun? So this last visit, he asked how I was, I said, circling the drain, he said, oh, you aren't gonna die!, I said there is still the gun, he said, nope that option is off the table because you have me now. Aw, those words really helped my emotional state. Anyway, I have disc herniations on 2 levels, they say not impacting spinal cord too much, though I have a reflex in left hand that is 75% accurate in predicting spinal cord damage. So, they are thinking since my main pain is neck (not arm), that the facets (joints on each vertebrea) main be inflammed, so the block will shoot in a steriod right in the facet joints (think of them like a knee). That will tell them where the neck pain is coming from. Then next week I have a EMG test to see where there is nerve damage(maybe Mary has better explanation). I'm sure I have a pinched nerve somewhere, I just can't tell them where so that test should identify it better. I'm pretty sure I have carpal tunnel, after this neck is fixed I'm going to get that fixed (it can only get worse the older I get, get it fixed since I'll be meeting my ins deductible for sure!) I kinda think the flexeril is masking the arm pain to arm numbness, we will see. Anyway, to test out the block, I'm to do any w/o I want, he wants me to put it to a real test,says I can't hurt myself. As far as DS, his lease is up and the increase is too much, so they want to move, but with him not having a job they wouldn't get approved for a cheaper place (they have a $100 applicaiton fee). The job is there for him, just trying to get their paperwork req'd by the company done (and they are slow).

Mary, good news about the tooth. I would do that same thing, forget I did legs prev day and then really forget the w/o I chose had some legs, and leg presses, OY! I wonder if my disc situation is genetic as well, Dad had lumbar disc issues--had surgery back in the day, sister has same issues. Mine is in the neck for some reason (past injuries?) Genetics, wish we could pick the ones we want! I want to see a video of DD, my imagination from your description sounds funny.

Jody, You're awesome, don't take them not wanting you as anything less. You did it, experienced it, and even if they didn't pick you, you can come back full strength to Cathe :)

Murphy, are you getting Cathe's spin w/o? I love Ride, Cycle Max, meh, hope Pedal Power is good.

Roxie, big snow here, bet you have some weather too. How's the job search going? I dont know that I have the ability to find a job anymore :)

Good Afternoon,

I did KCM's Your Best Body 1, 2.6 mile walk, 55 squats, Shape Abs and Total Body Stretching. It felt good to work my body and I didn't have as much morning crap as normal.

Lisa-we have been expecting rain all week but nothing has happened yet and its been warm but the rest of the week is suppose to cool off. Because where we live is a college town DH said to wait until June to look for a job.

Ronne-sounds like a fun vacation.

Mary-I think I am on the mend.

After almost 2 days of hardly any neck pain(some pain was probably still being masked by meds), I thought how stupid I'm gonna feel going in for my facet block tomorrow when my neck doesn't hurt.....and then the familiar ache started in my neck.

Roxie, I wish I was on the mend. I'm beginning to think I'll never be the same again.

Tues class done. I'm counting 'em down. Plus I should have done a Hiit this morning to stay on track.
Roxie, glad you are on the mend, a classmate is doing a squat challenge so we went to the lab and did 40 which pretty much feels like a little warm up, right?
Lisa, good luck w/ the test tomorrow!
Ronne, welks back. Hugs to dd and her tooth. It didn't hurt to be in cold weather with it?
Murphy, no I wouldn't really, but that is just me. : )
Mary, I wonders what you said once you started in on legs this morning? I would have given myself permission to skip those sections!

Last edited:
Hi all. Well, I goofed off yesterday and today I got a little happy with the weight selections and pulled my groin area a bit. Ouch. So, I figured I would switch to something different - ouch. Funny, we only really notice how interconnected our bodies are when a part of it is injured. Even the ab work was hurting my groin area. Walking is okay so I guess that will be my leg work for the next few days or so. Thankfully the weather is nice this week so I will have no excuses for not getting the walks in. Plus, there is a track right outside my door.

Lisa - glad to hear you are feeling a little better. I too cannot believe the workouts you have gotten in.
Roxie - good job on the workouts. Feels good to be back huh?
Ronne - glad you had a good time. I hope DD feels better. Yes, I ordered the new spin dvd. I have the other two too, just have not been able to use them.
Mary - glad the tooth was nothing, good luck with the sinuses. How did your hair come out?
Jody - I agree, with your Cathe work, you probably did not need much work as compared to some of the others. Plus, you don't sound like the type to fake enthusiasm when the work outs are not spectacular.

Waves to all!

Murphy

Up since 2am, neck pain bad, arm numb and now pain(I can now feel specific fingers that hurt which correspond to the discs that I've blown(says the internet doctor). I do not like testing out the dr's theory....ie, stay active, see if facet block helps, test it out (ie. don't lay around, stay active, do your same w/o's-don't worry about hurting yourself, lay off the meds). I swear this is all for insurance so that they will pay for surgery later so that doc can say we tried all conservative measures. I don't WANT surgery, I just want to be able to do more than lay around and not be in pain. I have a feeling even after this gets fixed I will have to modify Cathe big time.

So my prediction, the facet block may help the neck pain but the arm numbness and pain will come to the forefront since I'll have less meds in me. Seriously can we put a stop to this madness?

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Last night was not a good night I went into coughing fits again and had to sleep in my chair. We had thunderstorms all night and it was so humid in the house and I think that made the situation worse. I was able to go back to my bed at 4 this morning. I will do KCM KBX #1 and 60 squats and maybe the TM since its still raining outside.

Lisa-we got your snow only this time of year in Kansas it comes in the form of hail. Sorry to hear things are still not ok with you.

Murphy-enjoy your nice weather and be careful of the groin area.

Jody-my friend and I are doing the 30 day squat challenge and the first day I didn't use wts for my 50 and you were right it was like a warmup so yesterday I used a 7lb wt for the 55.

Hi all

Roxie - a squat challenge? Think I'll leave you to that one. Not my cup of tea, at all! Hope you're not feeling too tired today.

Lisa - I can only say that I would probably be even more miserable than you are with all this pain and lack of exercising (and pain from exercising), etc. etc. I get really crabby if I have to miss a few days from working out because of illness. Keep going and hoping that there will be some relief of some kind at the end of all this.

Jody - no, the cold didn't bother her teeth at all. So have you finished the Xtend thing?

Murphy - yikes, take it easy. I've got a bit of an ongoing groin thing, that has spread into my hamstring. A week off Cathe and it started up almost straight away after not feeling a thing.

Did B&T today. Pushed myself a bit harder as it was the last time and really felt it. I'm looking through my DVDs and planning what I'm going to do in the next few days. It's quite exciting! DD out with a friend so I can catch up on work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.